Weird line on record, doesn’t seem to be a scratch. Record skips when it gets to that part

I'm going out on a limb here, based on the information presented:

You're new to vinyl. As said above, this is just a scuff, usually caused paper sleeves.
If you're new to vinyl, it is possible you have an entry level turntable (under $300).
These tables do not have the best tracking and skips are very common. It's probably a coincidence that the record skips where the scuff is.

As for cleaning, try a SpinClean.

2 hours ago, moonbeams said:

I'm going out on a limb here, based on the information presented:

You're new to vinyl. As said above, this is just a scuff, usually caused paper sleeves.
If you're new to vinyl, it is possible you have an entry level turntable (under $300).
These tables do not have the best tracking and skips are very common. It's probably a coincidence that the record skips where the scuff is.

As for cleaning, try a SpinClean.

Correct. I am very new to vinyl, my current turntable is pretty damn old, it doesn’t seem to skip with other records. I’ll try cleaning the needle.

On 6/17/2021 at 12:47 PM, FancyRaichu said:

Correct. I am very new to vinyl, my current turntable is pretty damn old, it doesn’t seem to skip with other records. I’ll try cleaning the needle.

The stylus may need to be replaced. You can keep it clean with a Zerodust.
In most cases, skips are caused by the turntable. There could be something lodged in the grooves that causes yours stylus to jump out.

25 minutes ago, jerseypride said:

It was nice to open this thread and not see a single sarcastic a-hole response that a post like this often (unfairly) elicits. Well done VC.

I echo the suggestion that this is likely a stylus issue. If your turntable is super old, it's due for a new stylus anyway. They're pretty easy to replace.

I think a lot of it has to do with the question coming from a place of sincerity as a new collector.  This isn’t a “I bought two sealed variants of a record.  How do I tell which one is which without opening them up?” kind of thread.