PO: Taylor Swift - The Tortured Poets Department

On 4/21/2024 at 1:58 PM, jhulud said:

Target edition arrived today. 

And if you have the time, go read the Paste review of the record. It’s a bit brutal but speaks a few truths & makes good points. 

Thanks for flagging the Paste review. I like this album quite a bit, but also agree with the critical review completely. https://www.pastemagazine.com/music/taylor-swift/taylor-swift-strikes-out-looking-on-the-tortured-poets-department

I did not pre-order the record, but I did go to Target Friday morning to pick it up. The clear vinyl sounds great and the packaging and artwork is nice and elaborate (good to get back to that after the simplistic/cheap Midnights). I do wish I had the Black Dog vinyl edition (1) because the black cover is awesome and (2) I think that is one of the top 5 best songs out of the 31.

That review was interesting, though he focused a lot on the title of the album. Maybe I'm getting this wrong, but I see the title as an attempt to clown one of her ex-boyfriends. Some of the lyrics do make me cringe, and it is getting tiresome hearing the same theme about a dude who did her wrong. I know themes in anyone's songs get repetitive, but sometimes I wonder if maybe it is her. At any rate, when will the album about Kelce be out? Can't wait to hear all of the football references.