Starting a label?

Guest kevinb

Guest kevinb

How could i start? well for quite some time ive been toying with the idea of starting a label to get lp's pressed for some of my favorite albums that havent gotten the vinyl treatment yet...

i guess this is like a Press FAQ.. I mean as far as a website & all that jazz go's my friend is prety decent at making websites,so im good there.. I know i have to figure the LP's getting presses, jackets,inserts,shipping materials... i know its a low amout but is $500.00 a good start for a first release? im leaning torwards a 7" for my first release. im not realy looking to profit just break even, and get some of my favorite albums on LP format.

How could i start? well for quite some time ive been toying with the idea of starting a lable to get lp's pressed for some of my favorite albums that havent gotten the vinyl treatment yet...

i guess this is like a Press FAQ.. I mean as far as a website & all that jazz go's my friend is prety decent at making websites,so im good there.. I know i have to figure the LP's getting presses, jackets,inserts,shipping materials... i know its a low amout but is $500.00 a good start for a first release? im leaning torwards a 7" for my first release. im not realy looking to profit just break even, and get some of my favorite albums on LP format.

yes please make a label and press all the Bigwig albums on vinyl.

yeah 5-6000 maybe, to possibly. and you will probably lose most of it, never to return again. :(

That question is a large umbrella, which entails hundreds of other questions.

Put out some short run cd/tape releases and have fun with it ;)

Maybe that could one day blossom into something bigger, and can teach some ropes along the way?

Guest kevinb

yeah well, thanks for the response guys, i did try & search here on the boards but didn't realy come up with anything, damn i didnt think id need a few g's...

at some point in the near future, I plan to write up something with how to press records and all that good stuff. I am so busy right now, but hopefully soon.

Guest kevinb
and if you're just looking to put out existing albums on vinyl, you're going to have a real tough time if you have no connections. labels aren't going go 'ok' some random guy [no offense] with little start-up that wants to press their back catalog.
Ha ha no i definetly understand, the first ep i was thinking about putting out is actuly owned by the band, so that woudln't be to hard.

at some point in the near future, I plan to write up something with how to press records and all that good stuff. I am so busy right now, but hopefully soon.

use some recorder as inspector always use when they arrived crime scene,virgil.

you just press record button before say something about press records and ask someone for transfer your voice to article.

i think ithis can help you,brother....

:)

Guest afsdan

start by pressing a few 7". they're cheaper to press, so you don't have to throw down a few grand to start out with. that can be pretty discouraging.

but, if you do a 7" or two and sell em, you could make some money back and get the feel for pressing/selling.

You'll make less profit margain on a 7"......but it depends on how many records you press. I often just press 300, so each record might cost $2 or more to make. So, I'll sell them for $4.

An LP could cost $4-$6 a piece, so you could sell for $8+, and make more money. But much more money went into it, and you could be left wondering where all your rent money went.

good luck. any questions just ask!

yeah $500 won't get you anywhere. even a shortrun 7" is going to run you close to a grand... because unlike cds all the cost in vinyl is the upfront set up costs... so 500 7" isn't much less than 1000 7".

and yes... breaking even is a horrible bitch. and you need like 2-3 successful projects to absorb the money lost by one failed project.

It really depends on how dedicated you are willing to be to your label, even if it's a hobby of sorts.

Anyone can press a release, but the real work/effort/expense is in creating visibility and interest in the band and your efforts.

No matter how you approach starting one, it will be an expensive undertaking regardless.

Release costs come out of the wood work that you likely would have never have predicted.

It's just the way it is and forever will be.

Deathwish for example operated for over 7 years in the negative (yes, really).

The key is to do it because you love it and are a fan of the bands that you work for.

Without those two things, I would think staying motivated would be hard for anyone involved.

Hope that helps.

-J.

How could i start? well for quite some time ive been toying with the idea of starting a lable to get lp's pressed for some of my favorite albums that havent gotten the vinyl treatment yet...

yes please make a label and press all the Bigwig albums on vinyl.