Spraypainted Heavens Covers

Yeah, but dude when you take fucking 6 months to get a record out it should look like you put some effort into it. Especially for 18 bucks. These is no way this record cost more than 6 dollars each....so you figuer he's making over 100 percent profit on these and he can't even have a regular cover. I'm not wanting some elaborate packaging, fuck even the cd art w/ insert would have been great for me.

i can see how the price factor would come into play, but i think the long wait was due to the pressing plant messing up the tests and what not. not because the artwork was taking too long. in alll fairness i can see why people could be a little upset by this release but this guy gets waaay too much shit on this board by people who have 25 records in their collection all from VC. not all releases can be that nice and go so smoothly.

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. Putting out a record is a pain in the ass for sure. I just felt kinda cheated and I haven't even gotten my record yet. I just wish he would have done something, anything to make this record look different and nice. I don't care about hand numbered bullshit. I'm also not someone who only buys records from VC, infact I think I've only placed one ordered in total....not that that has anything to do with the matter.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this guy can do no right with you guys, its unbelievable. first everyone bitches about how they arent getting them. then when you get them you bitch about how it looks. its simple and it looks fine! a lot of records come in just dj sleeves with stickers (and no not just dj 12"s harhar). you dont need quadruple gatefold, gold foiled covers for every release. the record will sound the same either way. are you just gonna make a new cover for every record you get with artwork you dont like?... give me a break if that was the case id have quite a few "custom" covers (ie everything about the ETID box set). in all fairness doing this with test presses make sense... but not with this.

Dude, how many LPs do you own that are in DJ sleeves? I own approx. 350 12-inches, and I have three that are in DJ sleeves (all three of which are -- shock of shocks -- 12-inch singles). I don't own a single LP that came in just a DJ sleeve. So you're kind of full of shit.

Let's do a timeline on this entire process.

• [*:b96fn6oc]July 20 - preorders go up through the Number Nine Sounds myspace page (which no longer exists) for $15.99ppd, with promises of the record being "limited to 1000" and "hand-numbered." A release date of Aug. 21 is set by the label. After payment is made by myself and many other people, ZERO COMMUNICATION is received from N9S/Joe Steinbrick. No order confirmation, no receipt, no anything.
    [*:b96fn6oc]August 21 - no records.
    [*:b96fn6oc]August 24 - jhulud emails N9S asking where the records are; N9S says the record will be delayed a few weeks due to an error at the pressing plant.
    [*:b96fn6oc]September 7 - Still no records. N9S deletes the original blog entry about the release of the record and simply posts that the records will be delayed three more weeks. At this point, it is impossible to get a refund via Paypal for anyone who ordered right when the record was made available, as that has to happen within 45 days of the transaction.
    [*:b96fn6oc]September 14 - Joe sends out a bulletin on the N9S account and says he's going to delete the N9S MySpace page, but not before telling everyone he's "hoping" for an Oct. 1 ship date and saying "this is your last chance to ask questions through this page." He also posts the rejected Heavens test pressings on eBay at this time.
    [*:b96fn6oc]September 16 - N9S MySpace is deleted, thereby making it impossible to ask him any questions.
    [*:b96fn6oc]September 18 - the test presses sell for close to $200 total. Still, no one has their records.
    [*:b96fn6oc]October 29 - nearly six weeks after his last communication, Joe posts something on the Heavens myspace blog apologizing for the delay. He also says that he will receive the records on Nov. 2 and begin shipping immediately.
    [*:b96fn6oc]November 1 - Joe confirms he has the records and will start shipping them at a rate of "100 per day" after numbering and stickering them all (keep in mind, this is the first mention of a "sticker" anywhere, and up to this point there has been zero discussion of the record's packaging).
    [*:b96fn6oc]November 2 - Joe launches a bullshit contest to get people to promote the record's release instead of packaging them up and mailing them out.
    [*:b96fn6oc]November 6 - Virgil is able to obtain 100 copies of the record from Joe and sells them for a CHEAPER PRICE. Of course, those of us who faithfully pre-ordered get fucked. Also, still no records.
    [*:b96fn6oc]November 16 - It's discovered that Joe is selling two more test presses on eBay (which he makes another $100 from). Still no records.
    [*:b96fn6oc]November 19 - Virgil says Joe has promised him 100 more copies of the album. Still no records.
    [*:b96fn6oc]November 24 - FINALLY, someone receives their record (kyle), over four months after pre-ordering with virtually no public communication from the seller in between (and zero seller-to-buyer communication, either). This is the first time anyone hears about the minimal packaging.
    [*:b96fn6oc]November 28 - Joe calls Virgil and tells him that he is just now shipping the 200 copies Virgil has already sold on his behalf, even though Joe has had them in hand for nearly a month; Virgil won't be able to start shipping them until approximately next Monday when they arrive. This makes Virgil/Vinyl Collective look like an unreputable company, as he's already taken money from 200 people but has no product to sell them.

Joe himself admitted he had sold 500 of the 1000 copies in his Oct. 29 update, meaning he had pulled in approximately $8000 from orders (more if they were international). I'll assume Virgil paid $7 wholesale per copy, meaning Joe's made another $1400 off those. Factor in the $300 he's made off test pressings, and he's pocketed almost $9000 BEFORE EVER SENDING A RECORD OUT. The total is most likely larger, given as how we don't know how many he's sold between Oct. 29 and now through the Heavens myspace (and it's possible Virgil paid more wholesale, too).

I don't know where he pressed the record, but Pirates Press currently offers a quote of $2200 for 1000 LPs (virgin vinyl/full sleeves), so one would think he paid less since the product is of a lesser quality (we'll just say $2000 flat). Obviously "packaging" costs were minimal (what's a box Sharpies cost nowadays, $3.29?) and considering how few people have received their records thus far, I bet he's shipping Media Mail, meaning if all 500 copies he sold himself thus far are being shipped in the U.S., that's only $1500 (I don't know how much packing material costs, unfortunately; I always just use recycled mailers when I send stuff out).

So based on my numbers, he's looking at $3500-4000 in expenses, and a MINIMUM of $9000 pulled in, most likely more.

In closing, FTG (Fuck This Guy). If you don't think those of us who paid for this record, especially early on in the process, have reason to be upset, then I don't know how else to convince you.

this guy can do no right with you guys, its unbelievable. first everyone bitches about how they arent getting them. then when you get them you bitch about how it looks. its simple and it looks fine! a lot of records come in just dj sleeves with stickers (and no not just dj 12"s harhar). you dont need quadruple gatefold, gold foiled covers for every release. the record will sound the same either way. are you just gonna make a new cover for every record you get with artwork you dont like?... give me a break if that was the case id have quite a few "custom" covers (ie everything about the ETID box set). in all fairness doing this with test presses make sense... but not with this.

Dude, how many LPs do you own that are in DJ sleeves? I own approx. 350 12-inches, and I have three that are in DJ sleeves (all three of which are -- shock of shocks -- 12-inch singles). I don't own a single LP that came in just a DJ sleeve. So you're kind of full of shit.

Let's do a timeline on this entire process.

• [*:6gwadv7i]July 20 - preorders go up through the Number Nine Sounds myspace page (which no longer exists) for $15.99ppd, with promises of the record being "limited to 1000" and "hand-numbered." A release date of Aug. 21 is set by the label. After payment is made by myself and many other people, ZERO COMMUNICATION is received from N9S/Joe Steinbrick. No order confirmation, no receipt, no anything.
    [*:6gwadv7i]August 21 - no records.
    [*:6gwadv7i]August 24 - jhulud emails N9S asking where the records are; N9S says the record will be delayed a few weeks due to an error at the pressing plant.
    [*:6gwadv7i]September 7 - Still no records. N9S deletes the original blog entry about the release of the record and simply posts that the records will be delayed three more weeks. At this point, it is impossible to get a refund via Paypal for anyone who ordered right when the record was made available, as that has to happen within 45 days of the transaction.
    [*:6gwadv7i]September 14 - Joe sends out a bulletin on the N9S account and says he's going to delete the N9S MySpace page, but not before telling everyone he's "hoping" for an Oct. 1 ship date and saying "this is your last chance to ask questions through this page." He also posts the rejected Heavens test pressings on eBay at this time.
    [*:6gwadv7i]September 16 - N9S MySpace is deleted, thereby making it impossible to ask him any questions.
    [*:6gwadv7i]September 18 - the test presses sell for close to $200 total. Still, no one has their records.
    [*:6gwadv7i]October 29 - nearly six weeks after his last communication, Joe posts something on the Heavens myspace blog apologizing for the delay. He also says that he will receive the records on Nov. 2 and begin shipping immediately.
    [*:6gwadv7i]November 1 - Joe confirms he has the records and will start shipping them at a rate of "100 per day" after numbering and stickering them all (keep in mind, this is the first mention of a "sticker" anywhere, and up to this point there has been zero discussion of the record's packaging).
    [*:6gwadv7i]November 2 - Joe launches a bullshit contest to get people to promote the record's release instead of packaging them up and mailing them out.
    [*:6gwadv7i]November 6 - Virgil is able to obtain 100 copies of the record from Joe and sells them for a CHEAPER PRICE. Of course, those of us who faithfully pre-ordered get fucked. Also, still no records.
    [*:6gwadv7i]November 16 - It's discovered that Joe is selling two more test presses on eBay (which he makes another $100 from). Still no records.
    [*:6gwadv7i]November 19 - Virgil says Joe has promised him 100 more copies of the album. Still no records.
    [*:6gwadv7i]November 24 - FINALLY, someone receives their record (kyle), over four months after pre-ordering with virtually no public communication from the seller in between (and zero seller-to-buyer communication, either). This is the first time anyone hears about the minimal packaging.
    [*:6gwadv7i]November 28 - Joe calls Virgil and tells him that he is just now shipping the 200 copies Virgil has already sold on his behalf, even though Joe has had them in hand for nearly a month; Virgil won't be able to start shipping them until approximately next Monday when they arrive.

In closing, FTG (Fuck This Guy). If you don't think those of us who paid for this record, especially early on in the process, have reason to be upset, then I don't know how else to convince you.

Owned.

+1

I ordered on July 21st and I guess I'm just patient because I really don't care when it gets here or that it's in a stickered sleeve. My only real complaint is that he didn't update the people who had ordered, that's completely inexcusable. So thank you to everyone who kept this board updated. Other than that, I see it as someone who got in over his head due to inexperience. I'm just glad he bothered to press it on vinyl at all.

Guest falloutcollapse
you guys should be more upset at yourselves instead because you actually like this crappy band!

Are you taking lessons on running a website from Jason Tate?

you guys should be more upset at yourselves instead because you actually like this crappy band!

Or you're just a super-anal Alkaline Trio completest.

I just edited my initial timeline post with some money figures, if anyone cares. More reason to hate this guy.

Your figures seem quite accurate. For mailers in bulk you can get them from Uline for a good price. Probably all told his packaging comes to $1.00 - $1.50 per LP sent. Its about $2.16 to ship them with nothing else. So S/H for each is, at most, $3.66.

Guest falloutcollapse
is this my website? and are you actually taking me seriously? you better quit this board too. don't want to get your feelings too hurt.

I'm not taking you seriously, OBVIOUSLY.

Scott...here is another one for your timeline that was posted as a bulletin:

Nov 28, 2007 12:59 AM

Orders up to October 31st have shipped...read for more info

I would expect them in the next 4-7 days if you have not received them yet. Obviously the internationals will take a bit longer. Only about 75 more to go and then there's about 300 left to sell. Again, I am extremely sorry about how long it took for these to get out. Hopefully it's worth the wait. I greatly appreciate the patience and all the nice little paypal notes that people have left me.