EBAY to cap shipping price on records at $4?!?!?!

Has anyone thought about GEMM? I have really never used them,but with all this bullshit with Ebay now, maybe it would be a better option.

I don't know if it's a better solution, just wanted to throw that out there.

Yeah Gemm sucks, people rip each other off all the time as well, it's almost to be expected. A gamble everytime you order or sell something on whether or not you will get shafted or not.

You would think, maybe someone on here would be able to design a vinyl only auction site, if we each threw in a few bucks a person to pay for design cost etc, we could actually have a bad ass auction site.

I think something like that could do really well?

Then again I know nothing at all about that stuff so.... my opinion is void.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess i have been lucky with gemm... i havent been screwed and actually have gotten steals off there.

Lawrence arms - apathy LP on green for $8

NOFX - Self-Titled 7" Black Vinyl on Mystic Records for $12

at the drive in - relationship of command LP for $15

those are the most memorable but im sure there are more.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this link that may be of interest. You'll have to offer one shipping option that's under the max price for the item category. So, media mail, basically. You can still offer more expensive shipping, and any sensible buyer would hopefully get that.

http://pages.ebay.com/sell/August2008Update/MaxShipping/

It's supposed to take effect this week.

• 2 weeks later...

I found this written on a seller's description...thought it was amusing...and so true...

NOTE: NEW EBAY AUTOMATED SHIPPING FEES ARBITRARILY & ELECTRONICALLY FORCED INTO LISTINGS DO NOT ACCURATELY PORTRAY SHIPPING COSTS FOR MANY IF NOT MOST ITEMS LISTED, IN PARTICULAR MULTIPLE RECORD SETS, BOX SETS, HEAVY VINYL PRESSINGS, OVERSIZED PACKAGING, SPECIAL HANDLING, ETC ETC. THEREFORE - FOR THE ACCURATE AND OFFICIAL TOTAL FOR ALL ITEMS WE SELL, INCLUDING VARIOUS SHIPPING OPTIONS WE OFFER THAT THIS SYSTEM FAILS TO OFFER OR RECOGNIZE, YOU SHOULD REFER ONLY & EXCLUSIVELY TO THE OFFICIAL WINNER'S NOTICE THAT WE WILL SEND OUT TO ALL WINNER'S DIRECTLY, VIA EMAIL. THANK YOU.

I found this written on a seller's description...thought it was amusing...and so true...

NOTE: NEW EBAY AUTOMATED SHIPPING FEES ARBITRARILY & ELECTRONICALLY FORCED INTO LISTINGS DO NOT ACCURATELY PORTRAY SHIPPING COSTS FOR MANY IF NOT MOST ITEMS LISTED, IN PARTICULAR MULTIPLE RECORD SETS, BOX SETS, HEAVY VINYL PRESSINGS, OVERSIZED PACKAGING, SPECIAL HANDLING, ETC ETC. THEREFORE - FOR THE ACCURATE AND OFFICIAL TOTAL FOR ALL ITEMS WE SELL, INCLUDING VARIOUS SHIPPING OPTIONS WE OFFER THAT THIS SYSTEM FAILS TO OFFER OR RECOGNIZE, YOU SHOULD REFER ONLY & EXCLUSIVELY TO THE OFFICIAL WINNER'S NOTICE THAT WE WILL SEND OUT TO ALL WINNER'S DIRECTLY, VIA EMAIL. THANK YOU.

I'm sure eventually these sellers posting anything like this will be hunted down and/or turned in by potential buyers.

It seems contradictory to the idea of ebay. Independent sellers and independent buyers get together and hash out the prices they want to buy and sell for. It's like a free-market on a smaller scale. If someone is willing to pay $10 to ship one 12" record domestically then go for it, if they think that's too much don't buy it. It's pretty common sense. Let the invisible hand smack the shit out of the overchargers, that or it'll just smack ebay

i dont think ebay gives a shit about people overcharging shipping as it relates to fairness to customers. what they care about is the lost listing / final value fees that they lose when the seller sells the item for cheaper than normal but makes it up by padding their shipping costs.

speaking of which, ebays final value fees are fucking ridiculous now. i listed a record w/ a buy it now of 60 bucks and if it sold at that price -- my final value fee was just over 8 dollars. that doesnt include the listing fee and the cut paypal takes off the top after its received in my account. its bullshit.

im hoping somebody like google steps up to the plate and does an auction site so we can have some competitive pricing.