EBAY to cap shipping price on records at $4?!?!?!

i don't know how i feel about this.

on one hand, sellers that raise their shipping fees to cover what they get charged by eBay/Paypal kind of piss me off. why can't they just accept the fact that it costs whatever amount eBay charges and deal with it? sure, it sucks that eBay and Paypal are digging deeper and deeper into the sellers pockets to make money, but that's just how it goes. there are other ways to sell things on the internet. if you're not happy with the fees, use message boards, craigslist, or something along those lines instead.

for example, i was recently charged $10 to ship an item that only cost $2.62 to ship from the US to Canada. $5 - i could understand that (almost) to cover the cost of a $0.25 mailing envelope and 1 piece of tape. and sure, maybe a bit of the eBay/Paypal fees are covered there, too. but if i had $5 back for every time i've ever been charged more for shipping than it actually ended up costing the seller, i'd be able to buy a hell of a lot more records instead.

that being said - i fucking hate eBay and Paypal based on all of the customer service problems that i have had with them (mostly Paypal). and it sucks to see them changing things in order to make even more money than they already do.

bleh.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on one hand, sellers that raise their shipping fees to cover what they get charged by eBay/Paypal kind of piss me off. why can't they just accept the fact that it costs whatever amount eBay charges and deal with it? sure, it sucks that eBay and Paypal are digging deeper and deeper into the sellers pockets to make money, but that's just how it goes. there are other ways to sell things on the internet. if you're not happy with the fees, use message boards, craigslist, or something along those lines instead.

for example, i was recently charged $10 to ship an item that only cost $2.62 to ship from the US to Canada. $5 - i could understand that (almost) to cover the cost of a $0.25 mailing envelope and 1 piece of tape. and sure, maybe a bit of the eBay/Paypal fees are covered there, too. but if i had $5 back for every time i've ever been charged more for shipping than it actually ended up costing the seller, i'd be able to buy a hell of a lot more records instead.

that being said - i fucking hate eBay and Paypal based on all of the customer service problems that i have had with them (mostly Paypal). and it sucks to see them changing things in order to make even more money than they already do.

bleh.

That's definitely a problem eBay is trying to fix but you can't cap shipping costs. Or what you have to do is seperate shipping from handling. So you have a handling fee and a shipping fee. Then you could cap shipping, since that's just postage, but a seller could determine handling. Then you would know how much "extra" they're charging and could bid/not bid accordingly.

Selling shit international sucks. It cost double the Paypal fees. It's a pain in the ass to fill out the forms. The shipping costs are all over the place. It's just sucks.

That's one of the many reasons I refuse to ship internationally on eBay auctions I run. I make it very clear in the item description.

Selling shit international sucks. It cost double the Paypal fees. It's a pain in the ass to fill out the forms. The shipping costs are all over the place. It's just sucks.

That's one of the many reasons I refuse to ship internationally on eBay auctions I run. I make it very clear in the item description.

yep, i had two euro bidders win because i forgot to put that in the info. it's lame and you can put DC on anything so they can always try to fuck you over. Im cutting back to just USA and Canada. now i make it very clear that if your not in America or Canada, you're outta luck.

this won't change a thing for the users

if they cap the shipping, the price on the actual items go up.... since many start with 0,99 and have high shipping costs, some start high and have low shipping costs

i bet ebay does this so people will be more careful and start an item off with a higher starting bid, meaning they charge more as they take more % of the profit if you start with a high price

I agree that when you see a 12" record and they want $10 to ship it, that it's complete bullshit. However $4 to ship a 12" is not necessarily reasonable. I'd almost not have a problem with it if they want to cap it at $5 or $6. Again, there doesn't seem to be a distinction between one 12" record, and a box set.

I don't think that it will help records sell for more in the long run. It's positive effect will be marginal.

I do think that this might be the final straw that breaks people of eBay. When people start losing money on shipping on top of listing fees, final value fees, and Paypal fees, people will stop listing.

buying shit frm overseas sucks too :)

all the good stuff comes from other countries thatn norway, meaning i have to buy it from there, and the cheapest shipping alternative costs me about 10-18 dollars .. just for shipping/handling :(

its hard to be a vinyl lover in norway

yes but you also have to take into account that the seller has to go down to the post office, wait in line, fill out a customs form etc. Gas is expensive. Time is valuable. Personally i work all week so the only time i can go to the post office is if i get up early on saturday morning.. which is a horrible bitch to begin with.

you are paying for shipping + handling. people seem to forget about the handling part.

buying shit frm overseas sucks too :)

all the good stuff comes from other countries thatn norway, meaning i have to buy it from there, and the cheapest shipping alternative costs me about 10-18 dollars .. just for shipping/handling :(

its hard to be a vinyl lover in norway

I hear you. That's why I try to avoid buying from overseas.

Does this mean that ebay is going to accept liability for damaged records from lowest cost shipping method or damage from underpackaged records. Ebay should have no say in what people charge for shipping, if the bidder doesnt like it then they shouldnt bid. Also if ebay is worried about people avoiding fees by overcharging for shipping then they should make the caps more reasonable such as 4-6 for 7's anf 6-8 for 12's. Also is Ebay going to change these rates everytime postal rates / packaging fees go up. What about personal expense in shipping? Ebay is making a big mistake with these restrictions making it easier for another online auction site to steal their market share. Bad Business.

im going to be honest, when i sell something on ebay i do up the cost, def. not 10 on an lp, but i regularly charge 6$ to ship an lp. I figure that with the total of all ebay and paypal fees, plus gas to drive to the postoffice, plus shipping, plus my time (which i wouldnt care but when you sit in line for 45 min @ a post office because they have 1 person behind the counter, its bullshit), plus shipping materials. it all adds up REALLY fast.

this is complete bullshit....that damn company gets more than enough money out of me anyways.

i feel about ebay the way i feel about ticketmaster....when a 25$ ticket costs 40 bucks, it hurts the wallet. now ebay is going that route more and more....fucking a.

Thank god for Wigix.com, that's all I can say. They don't charge a single fee if your item sells for under $24.99, they offer multiple ways to take money (including Google Checkout) and if you get in early and help create pages, you'll get 5% of all the fees and ad money that item's page takes in.

Now if only people actually knew it existed and used it, heh. Until then, its pretty worthless, LOL. But here's to hoping! ;P

yes but you also have to take into account that the seller has to go down to the post office, wait in line, fill out a customs form etc. Gas is expensive. Time is valuable. Personally i work all week so the only time i can go to the post office is if i get up early on saturday morning.. which is a horrible bitch to begin with.

you are paying for shipping + handling. people seem to forget about the handling part.

i'm not forgetting about handling. i said that $5 seems like a fair shipping price for something that actually costs half that to ship. not 4x the amount.

I agree that when you see a 12" record and they want $10 to ship it, that it's complete bullshit. However $4 to ship a 12" is not necessarily reasonable. I'd almost not have a problem with it if they want to cap it at $5 or $6. Again, there doesn't seem to be a distinction between one 12" record, and a box set.

I don't think that it will help records sell for more in the long run. It's positive effect will be marginal.

I do think that this might be the final straw that breaks people of eBay. When people start losing money on shipping on top of listing fees, final value fees, and Paypal fees, people will stop listing.

I always email the seller when I see shipping $6+ and ask for them to ship media mail.. 50% of the time they say yes.