Isis... Where to Begin?

We just had one of these for Jesu, but what about Isis? Within the last year I've gotten into a lot of the more atmospheric metal (Pelican, Jesu, Red Sparrowes, etc.) but I've never really listened to Isis besides what's on their Myspace. I'm very intrigued, it gives me all the heaviness of Pelican, but with vocals that are brutally powerful. So guys... where to begin?

don't start with Panopticon, if you hear that before Oceanic, it won't make as much sense.

The big problem is if you start at Oceanic, Celestial won't sound good to you, but that record is fucking killer.

That band rewards you for going in order, well at least the trilogy of greatness

I'd say Celestial, Oceanic, Panopticon

Oceanic is AMAAAAZING, but i prefer Panopticon...that record resonates with me more, but they're equally as earth shaking.

Celestial is ok, in comparison to those two.

the Red Sea and the Mosquito Control EPs are the band not quite there....they're good, but they're a band trying to figure out where they're going...they're good in the beginning, but I hardly ever listened to them after I hear Celestial, then when Oceanic came out...that shit was over.

I haven't bought the Absence of Truth yet, because the songs I've heard were kind of boring and lack the intensity of the previous 3 albums.

The older stuff is interesting because they got accused of ripping off Neurosis all the time. It's a fair criticism, but you really start to see Isis take off on its own course with "Oceanic." It's such a great album for a lot of reasons, and a huge influence on other bands down the road (the new Mouth of the Architect pops to mind).

Celestial is their best. That's a good start.

Then:

SGNL05

Red Sea

Mosquito Control

Panopticon and ITAOT aren't worth it at all.

I wasn't sure if I should have mentioned the Sgnl05 EP...or the Remix albums, but if you like Oceanic, listen to that a LOT for a while, then pick up Panopticon...and it'll make sense, it's slightly more melodic, the songs are fantastic though.

Am i the only one who loves In the Absence of Truth? I think it has all of the same elements the other full length albums have and just as much progression as they have. The first ep's (sgnl 05, mosquito control) are very erratic and overly aggressive but from there they move into the full lengths where they start to control their aggression.

i think with In the Absence of Truth the band is perfectly subdued and controlled until they explode into well placed aggressiveness.

For 5 minutes they create an absolutely perfect song with melodies and hidden choruses of notes and then for the last minute or so they absolutely destroy everything they've created and start over with the next song. Its a perfect reflection of what's going on around them. There is a perceived perfection and comfort level and then with the blink of an eye it gets completely destroyed and we have to start from scratch. Listen to Wrists of Kings and see for yourself. It really is an awesome album.

Celestial is their best. That's a good start.

Then:

SGNL05

Red Sea

Mosquito Control

Panopticon and ITAOT aren't worth it at all.

Very bang on here, minus the second part.

Panopticon and ITAOT are worth a listen IMO.

Celestial

SGNL05

Red Sea

Mosquito Control

Oceanic

Panopticon

ITAOT

And I agree with cj too, ITAOT is an awesome album.

Oceanic is their peak. Panopticon is more refined, therefore less raw, therefore i enjoy it less than Oceanic, but it is still a fantastic album. I sometimes think Panopticon might be better, but then go back and listen to Oceanic and reset myself.

i thought ITAOT was a bit of a regression. i think they were trying too hard to build upon the precedents made on Oceanic and Panopticon. its a decent record, but i really dont think it comes close to reaching the "genius" of the preceding two.

Oceanic is their peak. Panopticon is more refined, therefore less raw, therefore i enjoy it less than Oceanic, but it is still a fantastic album. I sometimes think Panopticon might be better, but then go back and listen to Oceanic and reset myself.

i thought ITAOT was a bit of a regression. i think they were trying too hard to build upon the precedents made on Oceanic and Panopticon. its a decent record, but i really dont think it comes close to reaching the "genius" of the preceding two.

Oceanic was the first of their overproduced albums. Celestial has a heaviness that none other have.

I think a good rule of thumb is: start by listening to the early albums. then, listen to later albums. the transition from heavy tones to clean tones will make more sense. it's up to you whether you like either.

Just buy the box set and do them all ;D

But seriously, Oceanic will sum it up for you. then if you like, proceed from there.

If you like Oceanic, look into the False Light remix that the dude from 27 does on the remix album. I can only assume it is also the chick from 27 that does the female vocals, but I think it blows away the original False Light.