xm radio vs fungus 53 . . .fungus will not return!

Fungus is not scheduled to return.

LOU BRUTUS

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 1:09 PM

To: Fungus

Subject: RE: Fungus 53

I've been reading up on the merger and they said that the programming would change back on Jan 15 2009, does this mean that fungus will be back . . . ? Fuck man, ethel will play some random shit every once in a while and I love AM! but I don't want to hear New Wave by AM! I'm definitely going to miss Lagrecia, Polar Bear Club, Landmines, goldblade and all of the other great stuff found randomly on Fungus. Sad day.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 10:31 AM

To: Cory Pelc

Subject: RE: Fungus 53

Thank you for writing in about the demise of Fungus 53.

I've copied the letter regarding the elimination of the punk format from our SVP of Music Programming Jon Zellner below.

Hope this answers your question about the cancellation. If you have any other questions please feel free to write back.

"

Thanks so much for taking the time to write with your comments on XM 53 Fungus.

We recognize and appreciate the fact that Fungus and punk, ska and hardcore has loyal fans like you, but because we have limited space on our platform for music channels, we're often faced with having to make difficult decisions when it comes to what's available on our channel line-up. Fungus was one of the channels that had a very loyal but also a very limited audience.

Some of the music heard on Fungus can be heard on other XM channels including Fred (XM 44) and Ethel (XM 47).

Again, we appreciate you being a fan of Fungus and hope you listened to enough other XM channels to stick around as a subscriber.

Thanks again for writing and for being part of the XM Nation.

Best regards,

Jon

Jon Zellner

SVP Music Programming

Sirius XM Radio"

If you have any other questions please feel free to write back.

LOU BRUTUS

Senior Program Director Active Rock Cluster

Mandatory Metallica Fungus 53 The Boneyard Liquid Metal XM Led

1500 Eckington Place

Washington DC 20002-2194

loubrutus.com

myspace.com/loubrutus

Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 12:28 PM

To: Fungus; XM Programming

Subject: Fungus 53

So, why should I subscribe when you merge and put AC/DC in the fungus spot? When is Fungus coming back?

As someone mentioned on PunkNews didn't the whole satellite radio thing mean more niche channels? Wasn't that the idea? I mean how do you run out of space? And why the hell does anyone need a 24 hour AC/DC channel full time? I figure that'll be removed eventually would be good but what replaces? 24 hours of another band that's releasing a new album? Boo to that shit.

garbage, i wrote them last night while drinking. The email started off professional and nice questioning the reasoning behind the move and by the end of the email i was telling them to eat a bag of dicks and cram their stupid radios up their ass. I think im canceling my service.

Lets see if i get a response.

As someone mentioned on PunkNews didn't the whole satellite radio thing mean more niche channels? Wasn't that the idea? I mean how do you run out of space? And why the hell does anyone need a 24 hour AC/DC channel full time? I figure that'll be removed eventually would be good but what replaces? 24 hours of another band that's releasing a new album? Boo to that shit.

They actually do that. They replaced channel 51(I don't remember what is used to be, it probably sucked) with 30 days of Coldplay a few months back. After Coldplay, they changed it to 30 days of Metallica, which is still going on. That's what I thought this AC/DC thing was but when I check my radio last night, it was true, Fungus is gone. I called and cancelled my subscription five minutes later.

See they say a small but loyal bunch which seems true. The thing they're not thinking about is Fungus results in more subscriptions whereas a 24 Hour AC/DC station doesn't and in the end that's how they'll make money. Granted I'm sure they're raking in the bucks from AC/DC I doubt that'll have much impact on sales so it won't last.

all that is left is the joint on 101, sometimes the village on 15, sometimes the liquid metal channel on 42 . . . . that is about it, looks like my 13 dollars a month is going to cable tv. sad day to have to say that but its better than no mutha fuckin fungus . . . . or I could send bags of old crab meat to xm radio hq once a month. . . . decisions . . . .

lame, i just got the same email. and im sure they really appreciated my comments.

i think the phone number they gave me will become my standard drunk dial number to bitch about them taking off fungus.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write with your comments

on XM 53 Fungus.

We recognize and appreciate the fact that Fungus and punk, ska

and hardcore has loyal fans like you, but because we have limited space

on our platform for music channels, we're often faced with having to

make difficult decisions when it comes to what's available on our

channel line-up. Fungus was one of the channels that had a very loyal

but also a very limited audience.

Some of the music heard on Fungus can be heard on other XM

channels including Fred (XM 44) and Ethel (XM 47).

Again, we appreciate you being a fan of Fungus and hope you

listened to enough other XM channels to stick around as a subscriber.

Thanks again for writing and for being part of the XM Nation.

Best regards,

Jon Zellner

SVP Music Programming

XM Satellite Radio

(202) 380-4040

I wonder how one goes about creating an XM station I would not mind trying to get one started.. or even a decent FM station that wasn't considered a Pirate or College Radio station.

I remember reading an article in Punk Planet a couple years back which talked about how the FCC had planned on opening the airwaves for communities but quickly decided it was a bad idea when Michael Powell became chairman. So now you'll need a lot of money to start an FM station and even more money to get equipment to do a satellite station.

I've been tossing around the idea for the past few months of starting an internet station/podcast type thing. Unfortunately, my bandwidth is limited at the moment since my neighbor is supplying me, unknowingly, with free wireless internet.

Also tonight at work my Mp3 player's battery died so I had to listen to XM for the rest of the night and luckily they got rid of Fungus so I could have AC/DC on 53 and 49 at the same time. Just can't get enough of them. And a little while later Puddle of Mudd was on 47 and 48 at the same time. So much variety out there now.

Just couldn't get rid of one of your duplicate channels huh?