post your set-up thread

Don't have any pics right now, but here is what I am working with....

My living room setup:

Audio Technica AT-PL120 w/ Shure M97xE cartridge

Denon AVR-3200 reciever

Tascam 102 cassette deck

Sony CDP-CE345 cd player

Definitive StudioMonitor 350 speakers

My spare bedroom/record storage room setup:

Dual 504 turntable

Pro-Ject Phono Box preamp

Pioneer SX-990 reciever

Cerwin Vega VS-150 speakers (I really liked these on my main setup, but the GF decided they were too big for the living room when we moved in together.)

I like the Diamond 10.1's and got them and the speaker stands for $400 shipped because they were open box or something like that. 

They sound really nice and have more and clearer sounding bass than I was expecting. 

To be honest, I didn't demo different speakers or anything like that. I just went with the internet general consensus that they are really good speakers for their price range. What they replaced was nothing special so I don't have anything to compare them to. 

Right now I'm pretty content with my setup.  It consists of:

VIP Aries Scout w/ Denon DL103 cartridge

Rogue Audio Triton

Audio Research VSi55

Monitor Audio RX1

The only thing I even think about changing is the RX1's, but due to space/wife limitations, it's going to be hard to find something to upgrade to.

Right now I'm pretty content with my setup.

Jealous of being content. I've been struggling to be happy with my set ups.

Main:

Pro-Ject RPM 1.3 with Denon DL-103 cartridge

Parasound 2100 pre-amp

Parasound 2125 power amp x2

Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 speakers

Cambridge Audio Dac Magic

Apple TV

Secondary:

Rotel RA-1062 integrated amp

Rotel RDV-1050 versatile disc player

Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350 speakers

Apple TV

No loading adjustments. Plan to adjust tracking force a little heavier (recommends 2.5g, but going to try 2.7g) and go from there.

I haven't been paying attention to the forum much lately so maybe I missed it, but have we considered that the DL-103 - which has an extremely low dynamic compliance - is not a great match for the low effective mass (8.5 g) of the 1.3 tonearm?

I've used a few different calculators and I'm getting a resonant frequency in the 13 Hz range.  There's no accounting for real world experience, but at least on paper, that's a bit high.

I can't remember if I posted here or else where, and yes, this was a consideration too. Except. I've read other places stating that the cartridge will still sing in lower effective mass tonearms. I did consider adding a weight (as they make plenty for this specific purpose), considering the low effective mass of the 1.3 tonearm.

My biggest issue was that it does sound great with cleaner music. Singer/song writer stuff sounds incredible, hearing things I've never heard through my system before... But punk/metal sounds pretty bad. Like mp3 through Apple TV sound better...

So my thoughts are....

1. Low effective mass could be the culprit (purchase a weight).

2. Parasound phono could not be proper loading for 103 (purchase new phono pre).

3. Audio is stupid and sell everything (purchase a Bose).

OR I could just get a different cartridge too. I have 30 days from delivery date.

My VPI JMW 9 tonearm, which is fairly low mass doesn't display the issues that ajxd is having, but it's possible.  You can buy a headshell weight which might help.

It also has fluid damping, which is going to help tame some of those resonant frequencies.  I'm sure that makes a big difference in the JMW 9 being able to handle a wider variety of cartridges.  And in general, I'm guessing that it's a much better tonearm than what the 1.3 has.

Honestly, I've always heard that the DL-103 is much better suited to a heavy tonearm.  Of course, real-world results may vary.  It's certainly possible that it works well with some low mass tonearms.  Buying a headshell weight isn't a bad idea though.

100 ohms is a pretty standard load impedance and I'm betting that's what your Parasound is set at ... and that's what Denon recommends for the DL-103.

My first MC cart was the Denon DL-103D, which is the high-compliance / elliptical stylus version of your 103 ... so not exactly the same, but I'm sure the overall sound and presentation is pretty close.  I really liked it and the cart was a great introduction to the world of moving coils.  Still, was it that much better than some of the nicer MM cartridges I had used in the past?  Better for sure, but not by leaps and bounds.

I upgraded to an Audio Technica AV33EV last year and while it had a similar sonic signature as the 103D, it was a big step up when it came to detail and especially soundstage and imaging.  It's more money, but totally worth it in my opinion.  It also has a much higher compliance than the DL-103 and is probably a better match for your tonearm.

Also, I believe that the Denon DL-301MK is very similar to the 103 ... but higher compliance as well.  And not too expensive either.