post your set-up thread

Looking good! But I'll be honest, I wouldn't think these could one-up the maggies.

Honestly, I was hoping they didn't so I could keep the Maggies, but after comparing all weekend I prefer the Phils so far. Much better low-end, greatly focused imaging, better center image, smoother and more even FR, and much better off-axis. The only aspects that I prefer on the Maggies is slightly cleaner sounding in the mid-bass (mostly because they don't dig as low) and a bigger soundstage (although imaging is a bit too diffuse). I've never had an issue with excessive brightness or stridency with the Mags, but the Phils are even more laid back in the treble. I may prefer the slight bit more bite that the Mags have especially since I mostly listen to rock.

Other than that, gonna compare over a couple of weeks to shake this "new toy" halo effect. The girlfriend definitely hates the size/looks of the Phils though. She won't be a happy camper if I do end up deciding to keep the Phils. 

Finally respect my set up enough to post it here.

Project Debut Carbon in red with an Ortofon Red stylus

Pioneer SX 980 receiver

Pioneer HPM 100 speakers

IQCOHDH.jpg

1jlDOrA.jpg

ZayZay be damned.

ncUyVOm.jpg

Front panel kind of sucks but this thing is from the 70s. Sounds good and has audio from my TV (MacBook/iTunes and Bluray), a tape deck (below) and my Debut Carbon plugged into it. Sounds pretty accurate to my ears.

ea6Yiv7.jpg

I have the Wall on cassette. I'm not gonna buy the wax.

WmNDWK4.jpg

HPM-100. These are so big, I considered wrapping a cinderblock in a towel and putting the speaker on it. But hopefully somebody who reads this will either vouch for that or offer another solution to get them off the ground a bit.

tbyyLvx.jpg

No grillz. Those balances are for mids and highs, I haven't fiddled with them yet. Adjusting the treble on my receiver isn't doing much for some sharp low end problems I've been having. 

Cpo67LS.jpg

Records. DSOTM 30th, Paramore catalogue, Beatles (White album, MOFI Abbey Road, Sgt. Peppers remaster), Balance and Composure collection, some Blink-182 and Taylor Swift and Moving Mountains

Also pictured- Paramore and the Beatles on my wall, 2 external HDDs, an extra laptop working as a server through ethernet to my MacBook, bottle of whisky, keyboard and mouse.

Thanks. Actually all the sound treatments in the room are still not in place (just a few)...room is somewhat live sounding, but looks like I have an even better acoustic base to work on with a more live sounding room.

I'll post better pictures with a real camera soon.  I'm still racking all the vinyl in the new Ikea Kallax shelves I just got.

Thanks again...it is a true labor of love from my side.

It feels like I've known you for ever brotha :)

I feel your pain.

Although I must say I caught she who should be obeyed proudly explaining to a visitor all about my home made turntable, why I'd made it and the differences between belt and direct drive and between suspended and fixed chassis.

Made me take a deep breath, all my inane wittering was not wasted, she must have been listening some of the time which is probably worrying in itself.

Ugh, so ugly. Where's your Pro-Ject Carbon? Marantz PM? FOCAL SPEAKERS?! Geez. I bet this sounds like crap.

It's all there hidden from view :)  It TOTALLY sounds like crap...in fact, I crap on myself every listening session ;) hehe

:(((

Equipment is just equipment bro.  If the tunes make you smile, it is the perfect setup no matter what it is.  It is your experiential state that makes the listening session worth it.  F the equipment....just a means to an end. 

Equipment is just equipment bro. If the tunes make you smile, it is the perfect setup no matter what it is. It is your experiential state that makes the listening session worth it. F the equipment....just a means to an end.

This is the greatest thing posted ITT. Makes me feel way better about my ion USB turntable and Logitech speakers :)

I just happened to get around to cleaning my copy of Sigur Ros "Hvarf" I have that is on translucent green vinyl.  It looked so mesmerizing, I had to take a picture before spinning it.  Listening to it as I post this!  Its a Bunnahabhain 18 year kinda night...pouring a glass and taking one for the team ;)

14487924077_611987178c_b.jpg

And I was almost NOT going to post this, but its just too beautiful to not share.  EAR V12 integrated amplifier, bought this just last week.  Not put into the system yet.  It's for a second system...EL84 based tube amp modeled after a Jaguar V12 engine by the designer.  I wish it didn't sound as good as it looks...I'm weak.

14671291581_3b10453bc0_b.jpg

Fair point but because of that I always feel they they make superb near field monitor amps.

my first valve amp was a little 4 EL84 amp that I used with a pair of LS3/5a's in a near field monitor setup and it was a very sweet sounding little combination, I loved the sound but just wanted more,

I'd be interested to hear what 12 of them sounds like though, I guess with the right speakers you could claw some of the bass back without sacrificing too much middle.

This particular implementation of the EL84 amp is not like anything that has come before it.  It runs in a unique Balanced Bridge mode but most of the sound comes due to the designers very unique transformer design.  It doesn't sound like any EL84 I have heard before.

The frequency extremes are uncanny.  The heft, weight, tightness of the bottom end is astonishing.  Mids are just full bodied, textured, nuanced and harmonically complete.  Top end has palpability in the airiness of the cymbal work etc.  It is a very very special sounding amplifier.

Anyone in southern california actually want to listen to some of this stuff? MSG me and maybe we can make some time for listening session.  Sometimes an experience is what it takes to see why this madness even takes place :)