NHL Discussion

I thought the last CBA prohibited the front-loading, but that must be the Kovalchuk-type of stuff, not Gaborik's deal. 

yes, it did, but thats not what the Kings did.  CBA prohibited adding years to the end at league min. to lower the avg cap hit

Heres how the new rules breakdown http://www.capgeek.com/faq/what-s-the-100-percent-rule

The Gaborik deal is fantastic for LA and even more amazing for the rest of free agency. Gaborik was hot fire in the playoffs and fairly sought out as a potential UFA and only signed for 4.9MIL. Dave Bolland can shove his 5 MIL asking price up his worthless ass. Althought fuck I hope the Leafs give it to him so theyre even more fucked. 

I think Gaborik being injured is a bit of a misconception, since leaving Minnesota he played 85% of his possible games.

It's actually 82%. He's played in 308 of a possible 376 games since leaving Minnesota. The length of the deal is what would scare me if i'm a Kings fan. He is usually good for at least 1 injury a season, and he's only played in 1 full season in his career. Injury plagued guys always concern me especially when given long term deals. However, in the short term this is a great signing, but long term i'm not so sure it'll pan out for the Kings.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/g/gaborma01.html

My guess when word came out that the cap was going up was that Toews was going to be the first $12M player. It just timed out nicely for him. Ovi is making 10, Malkin is making 9 and he is sure as shit better than both those guys not to mention younger. I fucking hate the Hawks and would still take him before most players in the league. I think he'll come out with 10-11M but the Kane talks could get dicey for the team... 

I'm ok with these deals. A lot of people don't realize how much bad drafting has deprived us of organizational depth. The 24th will be great, Bonino and Sbisa too. Getting the 50th for Garrison is sick since we're dumping 4.6 mil, and Dorsett will be good on our 4th line. Kesler wasn't giving us much for options, and he is past his prime