NHL Discussion

Flyers rumored to be talking to Maxim Afinogenov, i'm a fan (if he's as cheap as i'm thinking)

also, Marty 'the magnificent' Biron to the Islanders for 1 year, $1.4 mil.

I guess that's pretty close to the $4-$5 mil he wanted, lol

DiPietro must not be planning on coming back for a while still, if they signed Marty to put behind Roloson.

knee AND hip surgery.. i dont expect him to play at all next season. they made the DUMBEST contract ever for him.

Marty overplayed his hand badly. Pretty lol to me that he is making less than emery.

Regarding Atlanta and location.

Sure, location is everything but what does that say to teams in a shitty location?

If you have a bad location you need to run a good franchise to attract

players.

I wouldn't want to live in detriot but I would play for the redwings.

So, what hope does a bad franchise have in a bad location? If you can't attract players then you can't make your team better. Then if you don't get your team better you can't become a succesful franchise.

It's a tough spot but I think it comes down to the fact that some expansion as failed

So, what hope does a bad franchise have in a bad location? If you can't attract players then you can't make your team better. Then if you don't get your team better you can't become a succesful franchise.

It's a tough spot but I think it comes down to the fact that some expansion as failed

What, in your eyes, qualifies as a failed franchise?

I'm just curious to see what your criteria are.

poor fan support and attendance

multiply years in a row of irrelevancy in the sport (as in - the team sucks)

losing money

what i meant to say with the last sentence (on a phone so it's a little jumbled) was that the some of the "southern" expansion has failed. failed in regards to creating interest in a non traditional market and failed as a money making business.

poor fan support and attendance

multiply years in a row of irrelevancy in the sport (as in - the team sucks)

losing money

what i meant to say with the last sentence (on a phone so it's a little jumbled) was that the some of the "southern" expansion has failed. failed in regards to creating interest in a non traditional market and failed as a money making business.

Fair enough. I don't disagree with your criteria, I just think it's a little sweeping. And maybe a bit hasty regarding Atlanta.

I don't think Atlanta is irrelevant. Every team has an ebb and flow -- especially expansion teams. Columbus just enjoyed their first winning record, let alone their first playoff berth. Their attendance figures are comparable. Atlanta has had 2 winning seasons, made the playoffs once, and won their division once. This is better than Columbus, yet they're not considered failed? I'll grant that Atlanta has been around for 2 more years, but still.

Atlanta has built themselves up a nice core of young talent in compliment Kovalchuk. Kane, Little, Bogosian -- these will be household names, perhaps as early as next season. Armstrong is a quality player that is just hitting his stride. Antropov is definitely an upgrade to Todd White, despite him having a career season with 20+ goals and 70+ points. Kubina, for all his flaws, is an adequate defender and an absolute force on the powerplay -- definitely an upgrade from Exelby from an offensive standpoint and perhaps a lateral defensively if you don't consider brute force. Lehtonen, if he stays healthy for once, is a more than an average net minder.

Sure, Atlanta does not attract the top flight free agents. But neither does Carolina. And they've certainly proven that you can win with the right group of guys and that chemistry can triumph over raw talent.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Atlanta made the playoffs this year.

Unloading salary in Boston.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=285581

They're either up to something or trying to clear some cap space to re-sign Kessel.

Hopefully it's a Kessel/Kaberle trade with Toronto, though it seems unlikely. Burke says Kaberle stays, but he's known to be full of shit on purpose. We'll see.

I can think of easier ways to pick up a fourth rounder than trading for a player just to buy them out.

You could be right. You often are.

I missed anything on a buyout, if that's the case you're more right than I. I'd imagine Boston thinks their blue-line is good enough, which it is, so I think they're good. Probably need to re-sign Hunwick if they haven't along with Phil Kessell. But if they don't want him they can ship him off to Manhattan Beach to hang out with Brown and Kopitar, I won't mind.

I can think of easier ways to pick up a fourth rounder than trading for a player just to buy them out.

You could be right. You often are.

I missed anything on a buyout, if that's the case you're more right than I. I'd imagine Boston thinks their blue-line is good enough, which it is, so I think they're good. Probably need to re-sign Hunwick if they haven't along with Phil Kessell. But if they don't want him they can ship him off to Manhattan Beach to hang out with Brown and Kopitar, I won't mind.

They immediately placed him on waivers with the intention of buying out the contract.

Eddie Johnston on Bobby Orr:

Many of those stories will be about Orr, who joined the Boston Bruins at 18 in 1966 and quickly became the best player in NHL history. Johnston was a goaltender on that Boston club, a high-profile guy known as "Downtown Eddie" because of his love of the nightlife. This was long before Johnston's wife, Diane, and three kids, Michele, E.J. Jr., and Joe came along.

Orr's father asked Johnston if Orr could live with him.

"Ah, I don't know if that's such a good idea, Mr. Orr," Johnston said.

"I insist," Orr's dad said. "It'll be good for the boy."

This is when the stories really get good.

"Bobby would drive me into town every night in my Cadillac," Johnston said. "He'd go to a movie or something and then pick me up at the bars. I'd hop into the backseat and he'd drive us home. I ended up buying him a chauffeur's hat. He'd wear the thing. Can you imagine that? The best player in the game by about eight miles doing something like that?"

Gordie Howe is the "father," Wayne is the "son," and Orr is the "holy ghost" in the holy hockey trinity. If Orr had played healthy for longer I think he'd be remember as better than even Gretzky. Gretzky, it seems from video analysis used more from Orr than Howe.

I started to post that there are a few who surpass Orr in the best ever list, but I didn't want to be the asshole that knocks on Orr.

You said this perfectly.

Burke swaps two spare parts (Stuart / Stralman) gets one in return (Primeau) and a 2nd round pick.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=285925

Primeau will play on the 4th line, obviously, and Stralman was the odd man out with all of the new blue liners this season anyway. Not a bad hockey deal with the future in mind.