Show your hardware!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question regarding turntables in this price range (Music Hall, Rega, etc.): Do you have to lift the platter and change the speed manually on all of these? That seems like a huge pain in the ass. Just wondering because I'm planning on upgrading sometime in '08.

It is kind of a pain in th ass, but I try to listen to a bunch of 45's at a time. The only time it really blows is when you forget what speed a record plays, and then its trial and error.

Can I ask a very basic question, what is the advantage of buying a mid or high end turntable? From playing bass for years, I understand amps and speakers, with Ohms, harmonic distortion, frequency response etc, but when it comes to turntables, if it turns it works right? I’m sure there is much more to it than that, however being as naive as I am about turntables I’d like to ask some of you guys about this before talking to some salesperson that just wants my money. I’d be willing to drop some cash on a nice setup, I’d just like to understand the theory behind turntables before buying a good one. BTW, right now I’m running some old AKAI turntable through my computer speakers.

Can I ask a very basic question, what is the advantage of buying a mid or high end turntable? From playing bass for years, I understand amps and speakers, with Ohms, harmonic distortion, frequency response etc, but when it comes to turntables, if it turns it works right? I’m sure there is much more to it than that, however being as naive as I am about turntables I’d like to ask some of you guys about this before talking to some salesperson that just wants my money. I’d be willing to drop some cash on a nice setup, I’d just like to understand the theory behind turntables before buying a good one. BTW, right now I’m running some old AKAI turntable through my computer speakers.

i'm not going to profess about being an expert here - there are many folks on this board who know exactly what they're talking about - but in my experience, your mid-high end turntable will have less 'noise' output because it is much better build quality. the signal is better quality. a heavy platter is preferrable as is a decent cartridge / stylus. elliptical, diamond head stylus are better.

the biggest concern for me is the phenomenom of inner groove distortion which is basically the last song on each side sounding fucked because the groove is so tight and most budget models dont have the ability to track the groove well enough. high end tables are supposed to reduce this effect. believe me man, if you like your sound, you'll HATE inner groove distortion. so make sure you talk to your salesperson at length about that.

$80 Radioshack table through $10 JVC speakers from a garage sale and a solid-state Technics tuner (now broken) that's at least 25 years old. Sounds good enough for me. Current set-up after the tuner shit out is the RS table through a Boston sub into PC speakers. I'm not an audiophile so it sounds good enough for me. Still sounds better than CD quality. Saves me money for more vinyl though...for sure.

I have a question regarding turntables in this price range (Music Hall, Rega, etc.): Do you have to lift the platter and change the speed manually on all of these? That seems like a huge pain in the ass. Just wondering because I'm planning on upgrading sometime in '08.

[image]

I used to have this guy before the VPI. It's a Music Hall MMF5, which was the same sort of operation. I would put a record down, clamp it, and the realize it was on the wrong speed. It drove me insane. The VPI was worth the extra money, not just for the improved sonics, but functionality.

You can get an outboard speed regulator instead of having to change the speed manually.

Kinda like this one

http://www.sumikoaudio.net/project/products/speedbox2.htm

How does that even work? Do you have to attatch the belt to it somehow?

I think it lowers the voltage so the motor spins slower. I think... ???

Once everyone goes to bed I listen to music through a set of Sennheiser HD 490s, they'll get upgraded to Sennheiser HD 600s one of these days when I have $400 to drop on a set of cans.

Look into Grado headphones. I have a pair of SR80s and they sound amazing.

Grado makes sweet stuff from what I understand, but I haven't heard them. I'm still a long way off from replacing my headphones, so I'll have plenty of time to look into it.

• 1 month later...

I had no idea we had so many audiophiles. I'm curious if you guys ever did double blind tests with your setups.

The thing about high end audio systems is while I'll agree they do sound better, 95% of people wouldn't pay the premium for it. I know HUGE music fans who listen to music on their iPods, 128 kbps, with the iPod headphones.

Me? Currently I use Beyerdynamict DT-880s ($300 headphones), and I plan on making some DIY speakers ($200 bookshelf ones that sound like $1000 speakers).

^ are you the actual borf from DC/B'more, or is that just a reference?

Regardless, my current setup is:

Harman/Kardon avr 120 receiver

Rega p1

B&W 602s/

i'll post pics when my wife gets back from vacation with our digital camera.

I'm with Kyle and the others who say that equipment matters. Good sound equipment makes a ton of difference.

I keep cycling out my turntable. That's the problem with having parents who own a home theater store, a girlfriend who wants you to use her dad's old turntable, and an old Bang + Olufsen turntable that plays fine but acts retarded. I'm sure I'll finally settle on one some day.

Is your Bang + Olufsen a Beogram? That's what I've got. It sounds great, but the needles are ridiculously expensive to replace. So I plan on just upgrading to a MusicHall, Rega or something similar.

Martin, your gear us nuts! That's an awesome amp. How much did it run you, if you don't mind me asking?

Looks like you have a pretty good set up yourself.

I bought the amp probably 4 years ago. I paid something like $150 for it on eBay, WITH the original tubes (which all still have a lot of life in them to this day). I spent probably $100 fixing and modifying it. Sounds amazing.

The only thing I'd trade it for would be a vintage McIntosh MC275 and C22 preamp.

• 3 weeks later...