"I can't imagine a President being named Obama"

God isn't your fucking insurance policy.

I really like the way that was put. If you don't mind me asking, do you believe in any higher beings, Dante?

For sure. I don't have a particular religion but I was raised Catholic and believe in the basis of Christian theology. However, I'm just not big into forcing anyone to believe what I do.

On this topic:

I go to a Christian college (Bethel University) that would be considered liberal among Christian colleges (we can drink in the summers! no wai!), but is still pretty conservative. Last night was the debate between the Bethel College Republicans (membership something like 1200) and Bethel College Democrats (membership under 200). It was a standard debate format, and the bulk of the time was spent on pressing issues like the economy and foreign policy. Both sides held their own pretty well, until the last question. The question was: why should we vote for your candidate? Repubs went first, and spent the ENTIRE 2 minutes describing partial birth abortion and how, as Christians, they could not support a candidate who supported it. The girl for the Democrats shuffled her papers, looked at the oppposition, and said, "That was a great speech on abortion," and outlined how, as a Christian, she felt compelled to vote for Obama, because Jesus said to love your neighbor, and care for widows and orphans, and to do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and she saw that in Obama's policies. I wanted to start a slow clap, but we weren't allowed to make noise.

Seriously, my faith is the single most important thing in my life, and you bet it influences my political views. I just don't see how people of faith can look at McCain, a lying fearmonger who divorced his first wife, and say 'this man exemplifies my values'.

I know, too long, did not read.

On this topic:

I go to a Christian college (Bethel University) that would be considered liberal among Christian colleges (we can drink in the summers! no wai!), but is still pretty conservative. Last night was the debate between the Bethel College Republicans (membership something like 1200) and Bethel College Democrats (membership under 200). It was a standard debate format, and the bulk of the time was spent on pressing issues like the economy and foreign policy. Both sides held their own pretty well, until the last question. The question was: why should we vote for your candidate? Repubs went first, and spent the ENTIRE 2 minutes describing partial birth abortion and how, as Christians, they could not support a candidate who supported it. The girl for the Democrats shuffled her papers, looked at the oppposition, and said, "That was a great speech on abortion," and outlined how, as a Christian, she felt compelled to vote for Obama, because Jesus said to love your neighbor, and care for widows and orphans, and to do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and she saw that in Obama's policies. I wanted to start a slow clap, but we weren't allowed to make noise.

Seriously, my faith is the single most important thing in my life, and you bet it influences my political views. I just don't see how people of faith can look at McCain, a lying fearmonger who divorced his first wife, and say 'this man exemplifies my values'.

Fuckin' A right.

On this topic:

was she a babe?

In many ways, insulting others for their religion is the same as insulting others for lack of faith.

In fact, in just about every way.

True. However, insulting someone for their perversion of religion and use of that perversion to force others to convert or to believe certain things is more than mock-worthy. Further, its obvious this woman is not coming to this dance without pre-conceived notions about Obama that are wholly untrue, making her either racist and ignorant or just ignorant. Obama, if you were to take an unbias stance certainly has the cleaner moral record to date. McCain pals around with far-right reverends, terrorists in my eyes to some degree, more than Obama "pals around" with Ayers. McCain had an extra-marital affair and was himself at the very least agnostic for much of his early life. Its amazing anyone who's truly paying attention doesn't see McCain for at least marginally more morally corrupt than Obama.

Don't even get me started on Palin. She seems to forget with her whole anti-abortion stance that "he/she who has not sinned may cast the first stone."

On this topic:

was she a babe?

Not at all.