NBA Discussion

blows my mind that the clippers just sold for the same amount as the Dodgers.  the two sports arent even on the same level... guess when you're filthy rich it really doesnt matter

Exactly. Who would pay 2 billion for a baseball team? Nobody outside of USA watches that crap 'sport'. It's just a bunch of guys standing in a field being watched by a bunch of fat slobs eating hot dogs and drinking beer.

NBA is worldwide. 

blows my mind that the clippers just sold for the same amount as the Dodgers.  the two sports arent even on the same level... guess when you're filthy rich it really doesnt matter

We'll, I would argue that Baseball is just as global as basketball is. The common thread here is LA.  New York and LA are the exception, which is a big factor to why teams in those markets go for more than anywhere else. These guys don't buy these teams to make money, but you will make more by being in LA.

Just because you call something a World Series doesn't make the sport world wide.

Basketball is played all around the world. The nba especially is watched all over. Nobody cares about baseball that isn't American. Unless it's a country that had a very large American military occupation, like japan.

Baseball is huge in so many other counties. You are right about them not caring about the World Series, because they each have their own league. Baseball is no longer America's sport, with more people going towards football and basketball. I see Baseball being more of a regional sport in the U.S now.

Baseball is a significant part of the sports culture, especially in Asian and South American countries. That's why there is such an increase in foreign born players coming over to play in the MLB. I know Baseball isn't for everyone, especially because of the speed of the game. Basketball will always be my favorite though..

Just because you call something a World Series doesn't make the sport world wide.

Basketball is played all around the world. The nba especially is watched all over. Nobody cares about baseball that isn't American. Unless it's a country that had a very large American military occupation, like japan.

yeah man, no one fucks with the dominican republic army.

Baseball is huge in so many other counties. You are right about them not caring about the World Series, because they each have their own league. Baseball is no longer America's sport, with more people going towards football and basketball. I see Baseball being more of a regional sport in the U.S now.

Baseball is a significant part of the sports culture, especially in Asian and South American countries. That's why there is such an increase in foreign born players coming over to play in the MLB. I know Baseball isn't for everyone, especially because of the speed of the game. Basketball will always be my favorite though..

Take Australia as an example. There's 3-4 Aussies in MLB. In the Australia baseball league, we get about 3-400 people watching a game. Nobody cares. When the MLB came here for two games earlier this year, tickets were being given away by the handful just so it the stands didn't look empty. And there was still so many seats empty.

Japan and Central America as a whole don't care. That's why the very few decent players go to chase the money in America. Because if their home countries had strong leagues, that paid money. They'd never leave

Take Australia as an example. There's 3-4 Aussies in MLB. In the Australia baseball league, we get about 3-400 people watching a game. Nobody cares. When the MLB came here for two games earlier this year, tickets were being given away by the handful just so it the stands didn't look empty. And there was still so many seats empty.

Japan and Central America as a whole don't care. That's why the very few decent players go to chase the money in America. Because if their home countries had strong leagues, that paid money. They'd never leave

Your stereotype of the rest of the world just makes it more obvious that you're talking out of your ass dude.

I agree with you about Baseball not being that relevant in Australia. One of those 4 were on the team that I follow. Lately, they seem to be doing this before every season. A lot of Baseball parks are empty like that here as well. Only the best players from Japan come over to the MLB since teams have to bid to negotiate the right from the players team. It's crazy that the Rangers bid somewhere around $50 million just for the right's to sign Darvish. I remember Yao Ming's contract being similar to this where a portion of his earning had to go back.

Exactly. Who would pay 2 billion for a baseball team? Nobody outside of USA watches that crap 'sport'. It's just a bunch of guys standing in a field being watched by a bunch of fat slobs eating hot dogs and drinking beer.

NBA is worldwide. 

part of the price for the dodgers included the land surrounding dodger stadium and the parking lots (and the corresponding revenue) and a TV contract, while the clipper deal includes none of that.

Regardless of what your obviously biased opinion is about the popularity of basketball to baseball the fact is that basketball is not bringing in the revenue that baseball is by even a close margin. Baseball salaries are growing exponentially right now. The NBA has limited it's growth potential by trying to limit contracts and keep the game more competitive, how is that working out? Are you all enjoying being able to predict the playoffs at the beginning of the season and being 100% spot on?

NBA is worldwide.

Basbeball is HUGE in Japan, not to mention it's the second most played sport in Latin America.

Edit: After catching up on this thread it's OBVIOUSLY apparent you know nothing about sports. Keep watching Sportscenter buddy. Damn you are ignorant when it comes to sports

I'm not sure why people are having this argument, but here I go...

three words: "china loves basketball".  you can talk about japan and latin america all you want, but china has more people than japan, the US, and latin america combined.  how else do you explain yao ming being AN EIGHT TIME ALL-STAR?!?  and in terms of the diversity of the nba, there are legit star players from pretty much every inhabited continent on the globe (though surprisingly china doesn't produce many quality nba players)

anyhoo, if you want unbiased opinions on this, just google "most popular sports in the world".  basketball is usually 2nd or 3rd (behind soccer and sometimes cricket).

as for the clippers deal, ballmer probably overpaid, but when you have $20 billion, I think you can afford to over pay ;).  it'll be interesting to see how well the clippers play over the next 10-20 years.  they sucked for a long time before griffin/paul, but the ownership has always been their biggest problem.  now that the lakers are in for a tough stretch, the clippers could be the team in LA for the forseeable future

I'm not sure why people are having this argument, but here I go...

three words: "china loves basketball". you can talk about japan and latin america all you want, but china has more people than japan, the US, and latin america combined. how else do you explain yao ming being AN EIGHT TIME ALL-STAR?!? and in terms of the diversity of the nba, there are legit star players from pretty much every inhabited continent on the globe (though surprisingly china doesn't produce many quality nba players)

anyhoo, if you want unbiased opinions on this, just google "most popular sports in the world". basketball is usually 2nd or 3rd (behind soccer and sometimes cricket).

as for the clippers deal, ballmer probably overpaid, but when you have $20 billion, I think you can afford to over pay ;). it'll be interesting to see how well the clippers play over the next 10-20 years. they sucked for a long time before griffin/paul, but the ownership has always been their biggest problem. now that the lakers are in for a tough stretch, the clippers could be the team in LA for the forseeable future

Basketball team values fluctuate based on the location, history, how the team is currently playing etc. hence why the Bucks sold for 500 million and Clippers for 2 Billion.

If the Knicks were to sell today, they would get 3 - 3.5 billion, due to being he most valuable NBA franchise. Not mention they also own MSG and their cable network. Hence why the dodger deal was so much

Anyone arguing about the salary cap thing needs to realize that a soft salary cap is more damaging than no salary cap to parity in sports. Soft caps encourage small market teams so spend less. In my opinion every sport should have a hard cap. That's one of the reasons why the NFL is run better.

word.  I wish the nba would have a hard cap and no guaranteed contracts.  never gonna happen, but that would help parity, too