NBA Discussion

Travis, puff puff give dude if you really think Orlando is a top-tier team. To say that Boston, who was left for dead a month ago is the ONLY team on the top line of talent is absurd. Orlando and LA definitely have the talent.

I think LA and Boston are the only top-tier teams. When they play their best it doesn't matter what the team they're playing against does.

I agree. It's so frustrating to watch the Celtics lose because when they play like they know they can, they're pretty much unstoppable.

The only reason that LeBron couldn't do it this year is because you can't change a number mid-season without paying a fine. It's all about mandates from the league it has nothing to do with LeBroom being a swave businessman.

nobody said he was trying to change his number mid-season. at the beginning of this year, he said he would change his number to 6 during this upcoming offseason because he didn't think anybody should wear 23 anymore out of respect for MJ. he's been in the league 7 years now... what's with this newfound respect for the greatest player to ever live?

what he's doing is trying to create his own brand. everybody who knows anything about sports knows that 23 = michael jordan. no matter how great lebron is and will become, 23 will always be michael jordan's number and part of his identity. so before lebron starts winning his championships, he's going to change to a number that is not as closely identifiable to any one particular player, thus creating his own brand that will last for decades. it's an INCREDIBLY smart business move.

Actually last time I checked, Nov. 14th (the day this story was posted) is after October 27th (the beginning of the season). I think that constitutes mid-season whether explicitly stated or not :)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4650907

http://espn.go.com/nba/schedule/_/date/20091027

Whatever the fine is, that piles up over 70+ games.

Travis- I was saying that Orlando IS a good team. Someone was trying to claim they are not top-tier (probably a drunk Boston fan :) )

BTW- Russell and Erving shouldn't care less about LeBroom taking #6. Since it's about branding as you say, LeBroom doesn't care about what good players have won the number, instead he'd be worried about who's marketing the number. In terms of the current social conscious, no one really cares about Dr. J or Bill Russell so why not.

Travis- I was saying that Orlando IS a good team. Someone was trying to claim they are not top-tier (probably a drunk Boston fan :) )

Actually, I was the one saying and still believe Orlando is not a top tier team. If Orlando plays the best they can, they couldn't beat the Lakers if the Lake Show did the same. And its become obvious the same is true of Orlando v. Boston. However, I never said they were a bad team. Just not in the upper echelon of the NBA as it currently stands.

I think LA and Boston are the only top-tier teams. When they play their best it doesn't matter what the team they're playing against does.

I agree. It's so frustrating to watch the Celtics lose because when they play like they know they can, they're pretty much unstoppable.

You are right Adam. They came out of the gate before the holidays, then kinda jogged the rest of the season. I almost didnt renew my seasons after that deadful loss to the Nets, but anyway. When they are on, totally top-tier, and its heartbreaking when they lose to an under .500 team, its heartbreaking anyway, but jesus, the nets.

anyway, beat la. i consider myself a drunk boston fan, and i do think orlando is a higher echelon team, but, i think they under estimated the c's going into the playoffs, most likely based on their performance last year without kg, without the emergence of rondo, and their 2nd half performance this year.

paul pierce shouldnt be saying get out the brooms on twitter though..

Actually, I was the one saying and still believe Orlando is not a top tier team. If Orlando plays the best they can, they couldn't beat the Lakers if the Lake Show did the same. And its become obvious the same is true of Orlando v. Boston. However, I never said they were a bad team. Just not in the upper echelon of the NBA as it currently stands.

I guess in that case the Lakers would be the only top tier team. I dont think even Boston can beat the Lakers when the Lakers play their best game. The Lakers are too big, long and skilled to be beaten by anyone when they play their best for a full game.

Could they get coaches fired in two straight playoff series'?

I dont think Stan Van will get fired over this series (results pending). They went to the finals last year, one of the best teams in the east this year, and were 8-0 until the finals. He is just getting out coached, and his players are quitting and thinking about golf when they are down by 25+ after a half.

Tonites first quarter score will determine the rest of the way. If the C's are up by double digits its over. If its anything under that, I don't wanna discount the Magic at all. One would think they have too much pride for that, esp. Carter and Howard.

I hope Orlando at least wins one game. Winning 8 straight then losing 4 straight is pretty pathetic, I dont care who you're playing. Plus I dont wanna see Boston just cruise into the Finals and get extra rest. Kobe needs that extra rest!

got your wish brother...you jinxed it! jk

haha Yea I still dont see either series going more than 5 games tho.

So ready to get the Finals started, its gonna be great!

got your wish brother...you jinxed it! jk

haha Yea I still dont see either series going more than 5 games tho.

So ready to get the Finals started, its gonna be great!

seriously. these finals are gonna be wild.

i didn't expect the C's to get close to this far so i really don't know what i'm expecting of them in the finals. i'd like the see them win it all, because this seems like the last year that it will be viable with this line up, but the lakers are just so stacked it's gonna be tough.

Hell yea Lakers! Way to go!

Dont worry about getting the ball inside to your 3 7-footers. Keep raining 3's that turn into long rebounds.

The Suns have no transition game anyways.

Travis I didnt catch the game but is that a summation of how it went down? When I turned on TNT to catch the end, I saw the final score and was in shock. No sweeps, no Kobe Rest, no Celtics rest, gonna be some AARP type finals.

The Lakers better figure out this zone shit quick or they're getting an earlier vacation than they bargained for.

That all said, Dear Mr. Stern fix your fucking officiating, its a damn joke. The best in the world need to be better. Call a fucking travel once in a while. How many steps did Dragic get to make his "amazing" play? 4? 5?