your turntable

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a...wow, I can't remember the name right now. It begins with an "N" -- I'm at work so I can't look at it and see.

It was only $75 on Amazon when I bought it. I'd like to replace it with a nicer model in the future, but I'll wait until I move out, because I have no space in my room for anything else.

except that it's a belt drive, I think. Direct drive is better, I'm told, though I don't honestly know why. It should work well for ou regardless.

direct drive isn't better... more moving parts=more noise. less isolation between motors, etc.

for all you guys looking at dj-esque turntables. don't. unless you're planning on djing, those things tear your records to shit. they're not built for fidelity, they're built for ruggedness. the arms are super heavy and the needles super burly and they wear down the grooves in your records.

i decided at one point that i actually cared about how my records sounded and was going to invest in a good turntable. so i bought this puppy (sorry for the uber huge image):

[image]

it's a music hall mmf 2.1 LE. and i had it upgraded with a grado red series cartridge. it has no automatic parts. the motor and platter and arm are all isolated from each other in different routings in the wood, the 33/45 switch is done manually by removing the platter and changing the belt yourself. the platter is made out of a super heavy duty alloy. the motor itself is suspended on rubber bands to minimize vibrations through the base. it runs on a wallwart to eliminate any current hum running through the electronics. it quite simply is the balls.

Just wondering, how annoying is it to take the platter off to switch the speed? Does it take getting used to, or is it fairly simple?

I'm also somewhat clueless on record players that are not automatic. Does that mean when the record is over, it keeps spinning on the last groove? How do non-automatic record players stop?

taking the platter off isn't too bad, it's a little annoying if you're just listening to one 45, or if one side of a record is a 45 (the first shai hulud 7"), but if you are going to listen to a bulk of 45's in a row, it's no big deal. i rarely listen to 45's so it's not really an issue for me. and yeah, the switch turns the motor on, you have to place the needle yourself, when the record is done the needle sits on the last groove and you have to remove it yourself and turn the motor off.

That is beautiful. Thanks for sharing, honestly the best-looking player I've seen. I don't know technical stuff at all, but it sounds incredible. How much did you spend on it, if you don't mind me asking?

- Jeff

it was expensive, but in my opinion totally worth it. the non-LE version is black and costs $350. mine was $400 b/c of the limited color(i forget how many were made, not many, maybe 1000 total), and then it was $50 more for the upgraded cartridge. so, while $450 dollars seems extreme, especially with lots of more budget options available, i have never once regretted my decision. at one point i hooked up my old table just to compare, and it was like night and day. i can't believe i ever listened to records like that. if you're just starting out with vinyl and don't have very many, i would say definately get a cheaper one to start out with. but at this point 95% of the time at home i only listen to records. so it was totally worth it for me to get the best piece of equipment i could afford.

and i'm not sure, but the "Ferrari Red" paintjob might make the records sound better. ;)

mine was $400 b/c of the limited color(i forget how many were made, not many, maybe 1000 total)

Of course the vinyl nerd is drawn in by the prospect of limited colour versions. :P But yeah, I've heard a lot of good things about Music Hall players, I'm looking to get one of them or a VPI once I get my life in order.

it was expensive, but in my opinion totally worth it. the non-LE version is black and costs $350. mine was $400 b/c of the limited color(i forget how many were made, not many, maybe 1000 total), and then it was $50 more for the upgraded cartridge. so, while $450 dollars seems extreme, especially with lots of more budget options available, i have never once regretted my decision. at one point i hooked up my old table just to compare, and it was like night and day. i can't believe i ever listened to records like that. if you're just starting out with vinyl and don't have very many, i would say definately get a cheaper one to start out with. but at this point 95% of the time at home i only listen to records. so it was totally worth it for me to get the best piece of equipment i could afford.

and i'm not sure, but the "Ferrari Red" paintjob might make the records sound better. ;)

What sort of equipment do you have the table hooked up to?

back in the day I used to listen to records on this badass:

1978 Fisher Price w/ built in speaker!

[image]

goldie locks and the three bears and rumpelstiltskin never sounded better.

Damn I wonder if we still have that thing. I didn't realize the was over 15 years old when I was using it.

I have a million of those old story records that played on this thing. I still have it. I used to listen to my smoking popes christmas 7' on it. :)

I use a Denon DP29F thing is freaking awesome.

[image]

http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/529.asp

What sort of equipment do you have the table hooked up to?

i have it running into a sony reciever, though i'm not sure exactly the model... but it appears to be a generation behind this one (and it's silver):

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665061597

it does a pretty good job, i still hope to get a dedicated preamp though, probably tube based. and i have that running out to 2 sherwood tower speakers that are about 25 years old or so probably.

Ok, I looked. I have a Numark PT01. Another company makes the same thing, but with their name on it (I've seen it for sale at Urban Outfitters).

[image]

Edit: I'm a retard and used HTML. This is what happens when you get used to using message boards based on DRUPAL.

how do you like that? I was always kinda interested in it, it does have line level rca outputs right?

Ok, I looked. I have a Numark PT01. Another company makes the same thing, but with their name on it (I've seen it for sale at Urban Outfitters).

[image]

Edit: I'm a retard and used HTML. This is what happens when you get used to using message boards based on DRUPAL.

how do you like that? I was always kinda interested in it, it does have line level rca outputs right?

Yeah, it also has a place for a mini-head phone jack and one of the larger ones. It's a good player, I highly recommend adding speakers to it though. The little speaker built in is kinda wimpy. I have no space in my room to put additional speakers so I just use headphones or let the little speaker go.

It's a fun little player, it was my first. My next one will be a higher quality player.

• 2 years later...

I've been using an AR-XA turntable at home lately. It has a non-variable speed motor so I have to lift the platter and move the belt to change RPMs but I'm usually only listening to LPs or 45s so it's not too big a deal. And it means that the speed is always right. That had always been my biggest problem with any other deck I've owned. The fixed weight tone arm is kind of nice it takes the guess work out of it but I'm kind of thinking of mod-ing it and putting a new arm on it so I can use whatever headshell and needle I want.

Not my pic but it looks like this [image]