Your thoughts/opinions on Relapse clear pressings

jhulud

A thread was started over at Deathtalk about this.

Being that quite a few people on here listen to Relapse bands, what are your thoughts and/or opinions on the whole clear "not available to the public" pressings of their vinyl?

Is it a lame practice? Does it make sense to you?

Discuss!

I think it's great because it's kind of like a bonus\perk if you work there. I'm guessing they probably don't give out monetary holiday bonus', so if you aren't a fan of some of the releases, you could hock them or use them as some pretty high end trade bait. And most importantly, if you are a superfan of the band, you are getting a really cool release.

I don't listen to most of the bands on their roster. The few that have released stuff on there, I don't collect all their variants and whatnot. Well, except one band who released a 7" via Relapse.

I guess I don't have a negative opinion of it. I do think it's a cool "perk" if you work there but it blows my mind to see when some of the clear ones end up on eBay and the prices they fetch. Awesome for the seller cashing in.

I think it's great because it's kind of like a bonus\perk if you work there. I'm guessing they probably don't give out monetary holiday bonus', so if you aren't a fan of some of the releases, you could hock them or use them as some pretty high end trade bait. .

I think that is the problem right there, you get fan's who want this, and then someone who dosent so they just go off & sell it.

I'm fine with it.. I think it's a great way to say thanks to the people involved, a "friend's press" essentially.

But I also think collecting an entire band's variants is a bit silly..

Exactly my feellings on this the only problem I have is that alot of people who get these turn around and ebay them right away and its really hurts those collectors out there who are into varients and they end up spending huge amounts of cash I do agree with them being given away to employees but I think they should not allow them to re-sell. Using them for a sick trade is one thing I am all about record swapping but flipping a record like this just is not right

I'm fine with it.. I think it's a great way to say thanks to the people involved, a "friend's press" essentially.

Exactly my feellings on this the only problem I have is that alot of people who get these turn around and ebay them right away and its really hurts those collectors out there who are into varients and they end up spending huge amounts of cash I do agree with them being given away to employees but I think they should not allow them to re-sell. Using them for a sick trade is one thing I am all about record swapping but flipping a record like this just is not right

yeah, I know what you mean about flipping them, but I look at them like test presses: collectors trying to complete a release/band are going to shell out big bux for those too, so this is pretty much in the same category.

I liked what Shellac did with their "The Futurist" 12": the cover had everyone's name that they were giving one to, with the recipient's name circled. That way if they tried to sell it, they're nailed.

To this day I've never seen one for sale.

But I think for the most part, those people hang on to them. It's not like you see 50% of the clear copies of a record for sale or trade, I would guess closer to 10%.

i dont really care. i get more annoyed by what bridge 9 has a tendency to do which is to throw the rarest variant in at random -- first come, first serve i say.

Lately B9 has been selling their most rare version to the public. I like B9 tho as I got a clear Have Heart and the black/white NFG HPHC 7"

EDIT: Awesome avatar by the way.

I like the idea but sometimes I feel that employees abuse the fact that they can put their copies on ebay and make a killing. I've purchased two off ebay (Pig Destroyer - Phantom Limb and Coalesce - 012:2 Reissue) and neither of them were cheap to say the least. Overall, I think it's a cool idea.