Paper or Ebook?

lostatsea

With all the talk of these new ebooks and how much better they are eco-wise I was wondering VC's opinion on the subject?

I personally like the feel of a book. Being able to pick it up, read it etc. As much as I stare at the computer all day I don't know if I could look at a computer screen to try to relax. It just seems weird to me, but then again I haven't tried it.

i love books. actual, physical books.

i mean, on top of books just being books, youre not always somewhere where you have access to a computer. i like just throwing a book in my bag and going; not having to worry about being able to get on a computer.

however, 95% of the time, i will only buy used ones because i feel like in some way that's more eco-friendly.

i encourage anyone getting me a gift to get me a used one instead of new.

we just had a long discussion at our family christmas about a similar question. on the airplane this past week, my dad saw a lady reading a book on a handheld device (i'm not sure whaat kind because i didn't see it, and my did isn't THAT techno-saavvy to know) and he just about lost it at how cool it was. so at christmas my dad claimed that in 20 years, libraries will be a thing of the past (as in, they won't exist anymore) since people will be able to read books on computers. chaos ensued.

the counterargument was that libraries have been evolving for the past 20 years as it is, and now they're so much more than just a place for books. they're a place to study, they're a place for computer access to people that don't have it, they're a place to keep records of things. i think libraries will certainly be around in 20 years, for the record, because there will always be people who would rather hold the book and actually flip the pages than watch the book's pages scroll in front of them. i've done both, and i can say that i personally like holding a book better.

I prefer paper books, although the digital reading devices are pretty cool. I'll be buying paper books for years to come, though.

I was reading a sample on a Kindle, and there's definitely a difference in reading on it, versus reading on a regular computer screen. I'm curious to see the new design when it's released.

paper!!! so much goes into a book design, from font, to weight, to paper choice, cover design, everything. reading on any type of screen just doesnt have the same experience. obviously the same amount of thought doesnt go into all books, and i generally stay away from books that look like they were produced as quickly and cheaply as possible.