College

Guest falloutcollapse

i think open your mind for new people is a thing you should do.

and you have to ask yourself what you really want to do.

sometime your mates or gang in college may not into something like you want, you should open your mind to see new people who interesting in something like you.

but you must keep connection with your mates too, don't let 'em think you leave from the group to see new people.

that's what i do in all 4 years of my bachalor degree....

:)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

living in the dorms (i did it for 2 years) was actually the best decision i made. it kind of takes you out of what you're use to and forces you to hang out with random other people. plus everyon in the freshman dorm is usually in the same place as you are.

plus fuck some bitch... like a rap star. BAM!

You get what you pay for. Seriously.

I went to art school for a year. It was the best year of school I have ever had. I learned so much. The teachers were incredible. I had a huge scholarship, but lost it due to a bad grade in Art History.

Couldn't afford it, so I went to a local community college to continue schooling. Community college is a joke. The teachers are absolutely terrible. And everyone that works there in the offices(registrar, financial aid, adviser) is extremely unhelpful.

Basically what I am saying is, don't go to community college. It may be enticing because it is so inexpensive, but there is a reason that is costs so much less, and that reason is that it sucks major ass.

Its weird because the offices are a joke yes. But my community college teaches were some of the best I've had, yeah some were a joke. Overall they were better than the school I'm getting my undergrad at.

Don't go to school anywhere near where you grew up. Get out there in the world and find something new.

If any part of your brain thinks you want to get away and go to school somewhere far, do it! However, don't feel like you NEED to do this. I'm not discrediting what you're saying Oakland, because it's very true, but there are some people who are just home bodies, and I think it's better to stay in your comfort zone while starting your college education. Obviously for some people their comfort zone is as far away as possible from everyone they've known, haha, but not everyone. If you start school near home and it's working out, you can always look to transferring a year or two in.

Move into a dorm. If you have social anxiety this is doubly true. I deeply regret not moving into a dorm and out of my folks house for the first few years of school. Also don't take time off unless its for a good reason. I took time off for Americorps (a great reason) and still had a hard time getting back into things. Most of all don't loose your mind. If you fail a class, take it again. Your grade will be replaced. Just do your work and you'll find yourself with very little to bitch about come exam time.

If you can, live in a dorm with people with similar majors. I lived on an all engineering floor my 1st year and it was the best thing ever. Not only will you have the some of the same classes (which helps a ton with homework/projects) but you already have something in common with them.

Given this somewhat limits the amount of people you meet, but based on the majority of the 2 schools I've attended most people on campuses are shitheads anyway.

And even if there's a .01% chance of wanting to go to grad school, try to get a research position as an undergrad. Even if you don't want to go to grad school its easy money/credits.

1. Do what you want not what others say you should do

2. make sure the school you go to will actually allow you to get a job in the field you want... I know this sounds weird let me explain:

I know someone who went to the art institute of pittsburgh, went through the program and decided she needed to continue her education for more years to go into the field she wanted... not a single credit transfered

3. LIVE ON CAMPUS

4. I suggest a liberal arts school so if you decide to change majors you can without changing schools

5. make sure you have a "fall back college" one you know you can get into no matter what happens

6. visit all schools you are seriously considering and meet professors in the field you are choosing to go into

7. apply for all the financial aid you can

8. get a job on campus it usually helps with tuition costs

9. choose a type of school you know you can be really successful in... having all the freedom you do at school helps a lot of people fail early on... I chose a private school where attendance was part of your grade and most of my calsses in my major had no more than 15 people in them because I knew if I went to a big school where you didn't have to go to class and you were just a number I would never make it past freshman year

10. work for your own schooling and don't let your parents pay for it all... it makes you appreciate your education more

Save yourself a shit done of money and go to community school. Then Transfer.
Don't do this unless getting a degree is your only goal from college. Everyone I know that went to community college, which is an assload of people from my high school, says their time at CC was a fucking joke and like high school part 2, but worse because no one socializes unless they already know each other.

Guest baseball

A lot of good advice in here already. On community college, I'll say that probably depends a lot on the community college and what classes/teachers you're taking. Pretty much all my classes were identical in difficulty and teacher's ability to where I transferred. I also know people who went to the same community college and transferred to the same school I did that'd have a different opinion though.

I'd say if you aren't sure where you want to go or what you want to study, community college is a fine option for your first year. Definitely do a little research and talk to people who go there first though.

Definitely agree with the whole living on campus. There's advantages and drawbacks, but overall it's an experience that you want to have had when you get out of school. You'll miss out on a whole lot more good times than bad.

Oh, and when you break the rules, which you likely will, be discreet. Colleges are money making machines and love to hit you with little fines for breaking stupid rules.

I lived off campus pretty much the whole time. The downside is I was out of the loop with a lot of the college stuff, but I was a defacto townie. I fell in with the punks and skaters really fast and honestly that helped me a lot more than my advisors, etc. I have been very successful and I owe it to hard work and the DIY spirit. I never waited for anyone at the university to tell me it was ok to do this or that, I just did it.

Also regarding rules - if and when you get caught, don't be an asshole to DPS or whatever the campus police will be called. I had a friend who worked in their office and so many of the cases would have been let go if people just cooperated.

And on that note, try and be as much a sweetheart as possible. I got off 3 times for having alcohol in the dorms.

I lived in a dorm for 3 semesters (year and a half) and it was terrible. I hated being around school so much and the rules they had were ridiculous. Every dorm wing was locked and you needed a different key for each door. The only way you could go to someone elses room was to have them open the door. I always felt like I was confined especially with their ridiculous Jesuit influenced rules.

I moved into an off campus apartment a year and half ago and it was the best thing I've done. My grades have gone up and I love having complete freedom. I don't really do anything on campus but I make up for it with some other academic related jobs/internships.

definitely need to live on campus. without doing that you wont get the full college experience. it helps to know what you want to major in beforehand. that way youre already on track to graduate and wont have to take additional courses if you decide to change majors. transfering is a pain in the ass and unless youre 100% miserable its not worth the going through the aggrivation of the transfer process only to find out some insanely high number of your credits don't transfer over. and remember the classic line from south park, "children, there's a time and a place for everything and it's called college."