Does Scott really like the Maine?

Pitchfork probably gets 2 mail bins full of CDs to review per day. They review none of it. The bins pile up. My friend takes most of them and digs through them and lets people come over and do the same to pull out stuff to keep. People really should stop sending Pitchfork stuff as they have no intention of ever reviewing any of it. The stuff they review is stuff the reviewers choose to review before it even gets sent to them. This stuff doesn't even get looked at, let alone listened to. They have interns open it all up and fill bins with it. It'd blow you away to see some of this stuff. Some if it I can't believe was even sent in. Some of it adds up so that there are nearly 20 copies of a single release, all sent in for review, none actually reviewed. I've gotten some good stuff out of there but it's like 1 out of every 1000 things.

There's not a lot to like about Pitchfork, but if you saw how much shit they got in the mail, you really couldn't blame them for just throwing it all away. How the hell do you even pick what to review other than looking at the label info on the back?

Um, maybe do what I do and actually listen to it? I'm sure I get just as much mail as they do.

you listen to two bins worth of music? impressive.

You should see my office. On my desk alone, there's four stacks of CDs, each approximately 3-4 feet high, as well as various smaller stacks. My windowsill is 7-8 stacks all the way across, each 4-5 feet tall. I have a storage shelf I use for the things that are actually reviewable (there's probably 100-200 CDs on there at any given time). There's a small rolling rack behind me that's overflowing with CDs; I'd say 200-300 are in there right now.

All of this stuff will eventually get listened to by me, even just a cursory listen. How else will I know what is coming out and what our readers might be into? Fuck press materials, bios and one-sheets -- I want to know what the music sounds like.

you listen to two bins worth of music? impressive.

You should see my office. On my desk alone, there's four stacks of CDs, each approximately 3-4 feet high, as well as various smaller stacks. My windowsill is 7-8 stacks all the way across, each 4-5 feet tall. I have a storage shelf I use for the things that are actually reviewable (there's probably 100-200 CDs on there at any given time). There's a small rolling rack behind me that's overflowing with CDs; I'd say 200-300 are in there right now.

All of this stuff will eventually get listened to by me, even just a cursory listen. How else will I know what is coming out and what our readers might be into? Fuck press materials, bios and one-sheets -- I want to know what the music sounds like.

That actually really cool that you do that. Your ears ever bleed? What do you do with the CDs when you're done with them?

That actually really cool that you do that. Your ears ever bleed? What do you do with the CDs when you're done with them?

Trust me, there are days/weeks/months where I get completely, utterly burned out and just sit in silence for a while. But the way I look at it is, this is my job. Most people would kill to sit in an office and listen to music all day, so who am I to complain about the not-so-fun side of it?

As for the CDs, either I keep them or they go to our office's kitchen, where it's open season for any employee to take them. Every 4-6 weeks, our office assistant boxes up everything that's still hanging around in there and mails it to a recycling center in Ohio that recycles CDs. What's up, neutralizing my carbon footprint!