crazy vinyl download thought...

so, i often buy records after downloading an album from emusic or itunes, and im always more likely to buy a record after ive actually heard the music. so what if labels were to offer a kind of credit deal so that if you already own a digital copy of the album purchased, you could download another from the label? i dont know, i think i would be more inclined to buy a few more records. chain reaction/domino effect kinda of think. just a thought.

people may think its a dick move but.. i usually just download it first (or listen on the myspace). then if i like it ill buy it on vinyl if its available. or ill just buy an album on a whim and hope for the best. such was the case with the last 5 albums i bought at hot topic for $3 a piece.

Then, in a sense, you're getting 2 releases for the price of one.

i thought about that, and decided that if it is a mainly-vinyl label it could only help them. then i decided that whoever gave/sold them the vinyl rights wouldnt be stoked. obviously this isnt a perfect plan, but i think it could benefit some labels.

The dick move is buying records from Hot Topic instead of supporting your local indie store or favorite label mailorder.

Have you seen some of the deals people have been getting? Fuck, you'd buy them too.

3 copies of the falcon for $12 total, should I have left them behind? come on...

regular priced shit, sure, do the right thing, but when they're basically giving it away, don't be a moron

Guest kevinb
people may think its a dick move but.. i usually just download it first (or listen on the myspace). then if i like it ill buy it on vinyl if its available. or ill just buy an album on a whim and hope for the best. such was the case with the last 5 albums i bought at hot topic for $3 a piece.
I dont think it is at all, there is to much garbage music being put out these days, and i'd rather save $ then get jipped

I actually suggested something like this with downloadpunk, but it didn;t go anywhere.

For anyone to attempt this... there is no way to prove you bought a download, and it would be easily forge-able.

this is true, but if you forged it because of illegal downloads, then there would be no point in forging anything to get future downloads.

I don't like the idea of paying for downloads. I pay for physical quantifiable product only. Yay vinyl.

This is so illogical. I suppose you don't pay for any kind of computer or gaming console software? Sure you can get a CD or catridge but it does the same damn thing as something you download. Fucking backwards "logic."

I just download things from a music-sharing torrent community. And if I like it, ill buy the vinyl if its available. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, and I've actually gotten into a lot of things I otherwise never would have heard.

I know some bands like NIN and Radiohead tried the free download, buy it if you like it thing. Not sure how it worked out for them. But I think once CDs start to die off a little more, it would be a cool idea for labels to try that.

This is so illogical. I suppose you don't pay for any kind of computer or gaming console software? Sure you can get a CD or catridge but it does the same damn thing as something you download. Fucking backwards "logic."

i pay for tons of game. they're all physical games though. all the 360 arcade games i got were either free, from the arcade cds they released, or bought with a giftcard i got for my bday. i will not pay for just a download though, music or game, as it's bullshit and if your hdd fails or something, you lose it forever.

I just download things from a music-sharing torrent community. And if I like it, ill buy the vinyl if its available. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, and I've actually gotten into a lot of things I otherwise never would have heard.

I know some bands like NIN and Radiohead tried the free download, buy it if you like it thing. Not sure how it worked out for them. But I think once CDs start to die off a little more, it would be a cool idea for labels to try that.

same here.

and NIN sold over 1 million copies and Radiohead was over 3m if i remember this right.

Guest kylewilliam

we are currently working with a bunch of labels providing downloads for back catalogue, figuring out logistics but it should be pretty awesome!

I actually suggested something like this with downloadpunk, but it didn;t go anywhere.

For anyone to attempt this... there is no way to prove you bought a download, and it would be easily forge-able.

are you guys going to fix the download soon? i've been checking each day for a few weeks now. i'd love to get the #1 reason download.

i pay for tons of game. they're all physical games though. all the 360 arcade games i got were either free, from the arcade cds they released, or bought with a giftcard i got for my bday. i will not pay for just a download though, music or game, as it's bullshit and if your hdd fails or something, you lose it forever.

That's not a valid representation of downloads. Both eMusic and iTunes allow you to get your purchased music on computers you allow access to your account from. eMusic, since its web-based is even easier than iTunes.

Also, you can make your own CD of the music you download. Does that make the download worth more all of a sudden? Its silly and its totally against the idea of the new media age we're moving towards. People barely use paper money to buy things but somehow they think its silly to buy something you can't touch? Really? I don't get it and I never will.

But what's funny is you'll go out and download for free, meaning you'll use your time and resources on it. That infers that thing you're downloading for free has value to you. But you won't pay for said value? How does that make sense?

it's harder for me to go to itunes and download something than it is to log into oink/kray/waffles/demonoid and get whatever i want in mere seconds. plus a lot of indy labels don't put their stuff on itunes. plus where i live, the internet sucks so getting kicked continually with itunes would be a problem. with torrents, they restart automatically and it's basically as easy of a process as you can get. i'd say in the last year, i bought 60% of what i downloaded, with the rest being stuff i didn't like at all. before you bitch about downloading, maybe you should try it. on kray a lot of the people are ones on here with some huge collections, or are people who will go out and buy something they like.