RAR variant collectors...

this thread isn't to make fun of you, it's a serious inquiry. as an alkaline trio variant collector, myself, i've had this internal struggle trying to decide whether or not to actually pursue every color pressed of every record.

for those of you who have 20+, 40+, 60+ variants of this record, do you actually LOVE the album that much? i own one copy of it (11th pressing some purple color) and listen to it often, but do you guys consider this album as one of your favorites in your collection musically?

or do you just collect them all because it's something to do?

like, did you guys start to collect them all from a time close to the first pressing, and then since you had near complete collections, just decided to keep up with it? then every time a new pressing comes out, you don't want to stop your collection since you're already so far?

just curious as to whether or not you guys actually LOVE this album musically or if it's just a collection because it's a collection.

I'm hardly a die-hard RAR collector but I love the album and if come across a nice looking copy that isn't expensive, I'll uusually buy it. I currently have 7 copies, which is nothing at all compared to some of you guys!

Let's make this thread colourful! All my copies look pretty darn cool apart from the black 180g and a standard purple/grey mush I got, but that was the first copy I got.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Yeah!

really good questions I myself do not really collect varients unless I truly love the band and the color/artwork is really awesome or one of a kind (example I got all colored copies of the Thursday/Envy I love both bands a ton and I really like the packaging but its rare that I do that with records)

its one of my favorite records, by one of my favorite bands... plus the band has done some really big favors for me over the years (played a benefit show, gave me a track for a benefit album, took one of my bands as their horn section on warped, gave me a lot of free records) and "i still love you julie" was the first dance at my wedding...

so i have a handful of good reasons to continually buy the record :)

I certainly wouldn't have 60+ copies of an LP that I didn't like, RAR is a brilliant LP, every home should have one!!!

Having said that I also have all these because I collect everything No Idea releases and have done for many years, apart from Kiss Of Death and a few Bands they're the only ones I go with all the variants!

For me, it’s a little bit of everything. First, I really do love this record and that’s how it started out. I’ve been buying and listening to records for over 15 years and started to get into the collecting aspect probably six or seven years ago, with Alkaline Trio and Hot Water Music. I really started collecting No Idea variants about 4 years ago when I realized how much stuff I already had by them and all of the awesome records they have put out. So for me, part of the ridiculous RAR collection is just a part of my even more ridiculous No Idea collection\obsession.

i have a question too, it doesnt really pertain to RAR but...

If you were collecting a certain band and they had a LP that you thought sucked beyond belief and it had multiple pressings/variants. would you still collect them all, even though you hated that album?

what first comes to mind is the new pressings of the NOFX mystic LP that has been pressed on 10 different colors over the last few months.

Just curious

I heard multiple people say they hate that NOFX LP, yet they still bought multiple copies. I guess when pursuing a complete collection that's what comes with it. I do the same with AFI. I really dislike the latest album, and one of the old ones kid of annoys me, but I still try to get whatever I can find.

If you were collecting a certain band and they had a LP that you thought sucked beyond belief and it had multiple pressings/variants. would you still collect them all, even though you hated that album?

what first comes to mind is the new pressings of the NOFX mystic LP that has been pressed on 10 different colors over the last few months.

Just curious

i can give you some info on that.

i'd say people who collect NOFX in general have maybe bought one copy of the album. Most people agree its horrible but some of the actual vinyl variants look cool so i guess that's why they bought one (or a couple)

Also a lot of people in this collecting category got sucked in thinking they'd only end up with 2 or maybe 3 colors because they just pressed them one after the other instead of all at once.

the people with really hardcore collections seem to be buying every variant (whether they like the album or not)

then there's some people (myself included) who don't own any copies because i'd have no desire to ever spin it. Although i think about getting a clear one often because they look pretty cool.

also its not quite at 10 variants yet :) more like 6 or so (depends if you count the light blue dark blue variation, it is reasonably noticeable)

I think NOFX is an exception to the rule for a lot of people though because when they have 7+ albums you like and own you kind of feel compelled to buy everything because you have a pretty big chunk of their music already.

Bands like anti-flag i've only bought the terror state and underground network just because i don't like any of albums enough to collect them at all (let alone variants)

i have one RAR. i know its not a "new" observation, but, i think collecting variants is simply being materialistic. i know its a passion/hobby to a lot of (mostly younger) collectors. but i just don't see the point.

There are a lot more stupid hobbies than collecting 4,732 copies of the same album, but, 'celebrating a bands entire catalog' on vinyl seems just as fun, and a lot more economical than variants.

I just spent like $70 on AmAnSets 'know by heart' on a BIN that popped up. that was the last LP i needed for their complete discography :) My point is, I know what its like to really want a record, but, if there was 3 different pressings of Know By Heart (theres not, theres one and its /500) I wouldn't buy the other ones.

Sorry for the bored-at-work rant.

Just curious

i agree on that nofx thing. i think anything liberal animation and pre is just shit thats why i don't have it on vinyl. i have the original pressing of the mrr cd and la, but thats cause i didn't know at the time that it sucked

My collection is ~40 copies, though I haven't been buying. It's one of my favorite albums of all time, so I chose to buy copies. I started with 1, then went for the first press, then went for some of the "cooler" colors, and it just kept building.

I'm not a "variant" collector necessarily, though, as it's just this one album, as well as The Tim Version that I collect. Everything else, one is enough. (Some I have multiples of due to impulsive buying, though I have no problem letting them go)

I mean I love Alkaline Trio, and have every LP they've put out, but I just don't have a reason to buy every color. I could've bought 5 copies of Remains... Or a single copy of everything they've got in print right now. I went with the latter of the two.