The eBay Factor

Guest abravemorning

Guest abravemorning

This is kind of a vent.

I don't know if it's because of vinyl is trendy, if it's because these records are becoming more and more rare, or what, but the prices people pay on eBay for records lately has seemed to skyrocket. People are paying outrageous amounts for records that could be found for a lot cheaper just a few short months ago. Off the top of my head, some of these bands include Jimmy Eat World, Mineral, the Get Up Kids, MxPx. Keep in mind these are just the bands I'm collecting for, but it's happening to vinyl in general. Just a few months ago, it wasn't uncommon to find Jimmy Eat World's "Clarity" on eBay for $40. Now, kids are paying upwards of $130 for this. Douchebags like fraziermart are banking in on this, knowing that the demand is there for these records and newer, less informed kids will pay his outrageous prices. Sometimes for stuff that is even still in print and easily found. This not only effects those who are looking on eBay for deals, but those off eBay. It's only human nature, but sellers see this and think of the big bucks they could make, increasing the average prices off of eBay too. Maybe I'm just whining, but I think it's ridiculous. It's true a record is only worth what people are willing to pay, but what the hell can you do when idiots are willing to pay twice as much as your average, seasoned collector?

These are just some thoughts that have been on my mind. I'm seriously considering taking a break from eBay.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All the reasons you name are why I wish I could comment on auctions so people don't get ripped off and prices don't get all out of whack.

I send the buyers messages sometimes, telling them they are getting ripped off.

That's true but by that point they've already bid. I honestly believe there needs to be a mechanism for making it known if prices are way out of whack or someone is ripping you off, etc.

yeah just this week a copy of the bosstones - question the answers went for $120. i paid 20 bucks for mine about 6 months ago... its insane.

or on a more personal level... hey all that btmi! stuff is still available for retail sale at like 10 different places... why are you paying $20 a pop for it?!

Interest in vinyl is cyclical, always has been.

There was a period where "collectable" releases were underpriced, etc.

Now you see people paying for their own ignorance, overpaying for releases that are readily available.

I think you'll see prices still fall back to an average reasonable amount sooner than later.

Our label monitors eBay, and we contact every "bidder" that is bidding on one of our readily available releases.

In that we inform them of the release's availability thru our Estore directly.

I'd like to think this practice, and the continuing growth of vinyl friendly Estores/Labels, will bring back fair pricing.

-J.

fraziermart - All I have to say about this guy is he's gonna be unloading these records in about a year or two for more than 50% less than what he's currently selling this stuff for. He's a prick and he's bilking these poor kids outta their cash. I'm new to the whole vinyl world (relatively) but I've learned a few things about prices, and I'd rather flush my cash than give it to this crook.

ebay has become a totally commercial entity. bargains are so rare nowadays. i have become very dissillusioned with it. have been an avid user since its inception but am now pretty weary of the whole thing. unfortunately, the phenomenom of people paying top whack has forced poor collectors like me (and a whole lot of you, i bet) to either pay up or shut up. very shite situation, being that its just a glorified garage sale / boot sale / yard sale et al.

i'll always search distros and stuff first.

I that that the prices also coincide with the popularity or buzz around a band at the moment.

When the Get Up Kids broke up their prices SKYROCKETED and then went down again. For some reason the only albums selling really well of theirs right now are 4MM and STWHA while the more rare releases (Shorty 7" for expample) are priced far lower. It's weird.

Clarity? Well, it's a great record that they didn't make too many of. No big surpise that it goes for stupid money

Now you see people paying for their own ignorance, overpaying for releases that are readily available.

I think you'll see prices still fall back to an average reasonable amount sooner than later.

Our label monitors eBay, and we contact every "bidder" that is bidding on one of our readily available releases.

I'd like to think this practice, and the continuing growth of vinyl friendly Estores/Labels, will bring back fair pricing.

-J.

Yet another reason Deathwish will always get my business.

Guest abravemorning

-J.

Very interesting to hear from the artist/label's perspective on this. Were the $200 "Jane Doe' prices one of the factors for the repress?

-J.

Very interesting to hear from the artist/label's perspective on this. Were the $200 "Jane Doe' prices one of the factors for the repress?

That and band members not having a copy.

Guest abravemorning
I that that the prices also coincide with the popularity or buzz around a band at the moment.

When the Get Up Kids broke up their prices SKYROCKETED and then went down again. For some reason the only albums selling really well of theirs right now are 4MM and STWHA while the more rare releases (Shorty 7" for expample) are priced far lower. It's weird.

Clarity? Well, it's a great record that they didn't make too many of. No big surpise that it goes for stupid money

I think this is true in some cases. Bands like Jimmy Eat World and Hot Water Music, I can understand how prices will fluctuate. But what about bands that are long gone? Mineral LP's are averaging $65+, when just a few short months ago, they could easily be found for less than $40.

So I guess this truth is dependent upon the band and release.

-J.

Wow that must take a good deal of time to do. That's rad of you guys for doing that kind of stuff.

Slapstick and the Bosstones are 2 more examples of stuff that's gone way up recently.

Superhero 7"s were going for maybe $15 in like sept/oct and recently there was one that hit $43 and didnt meet the reserve!

I'm glad I got the Broadways 7" (we all know that you can do it) when I did, I can only imagine what that would go for now.

eBay has always been a commercial entity and I predict you'll see more "Official" stores and listings thru outside sources in the future.

This is a direct effect of Downloading/File Sharing for bands/labels, especially smaller ones. What little Retail interest there has been in independent music continues to shrink. Sales continue to drop across the board, therefore labels/bands look to other means to generate revenue to continue to exist.

-J.