The eBay Factor

Guest abravemorning

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest abravemorning
i'm actually going to side with i roebot on this one.

don't like it? don't buy it.

We don't buy it. The problem is other people do, and so when we find someone who does have a copy of the record we're looking to buy, they can use fraziermart's auctions as a price reference. How many times have you tried negotiating a price, and the potential seller has said something like "well, this sold for this on eBay last week."

one thing that for some reason no one has mentioned is the value of the dollar. I would be willing to bet that most of these insane prices are people in other countries cashing in on how unbelievably weak the dollar is. I know when I list a round of stuff on ebay the majority of it goes outside the US.

one thing that for some reason no one has mentioned is the value of the dollar. I would be willing to bet that most of these insane prices are people in other countries cashing in on how unbelievably weak the dollar is. I know when I list a round of stuff on ebay the majority of it goes outside the US.

Very true. Alot of stuff that I have sold has gone out of the US as well.

I am unloading a ton of my shit due to my family expanding, my lifestyle changing and I see it as pointless to have 500 records gathering dust when someone else can appreciate them. Ebay just makes it easy to get rid of it all. Anyway, selling a lot of my stuff I get a ton of bids from people in Europe and it makes sense for a lot of them. A guy bought something from me for $84 with shipping and in reality what did it cost him less than $40. From my perspective this also drives up my prices. Ebay sucks but for someone on time restraints and just busy doing other things it makes the most sense.

you live in PA......how is there no good used record stores in the area? ive been to about 15 awesome record stores, all within the state.

for those of you who think you live where there is no used stores, try living in south dakota.

a lot of people think that they have no good stores, and therefore dont bother going to the mostly unknown places. some of the best finds i have found have came from stores that most "scene" kids didnt even know existed, or i was told "oh dont bother going there, they suck". so everyone goes to chicago and goes to reckless records, and totally skips the other 70ish record stores in the area (suburbs included).

most people live within 3 hours of a large city (100,00+ people), and pretty much ever decent sized city has at least one record store.

i'm 2 hrs from pgh, and 2 from erie. i'm in the middle of nowhere. the comic store that a friend of mine just opened gets shafted by diamond all the time because he's a little guy and not one of their huge stores. he ordered 10 copies of the new captain america iss out today, and got 0. we were really pissed about that. so now i'm stuck driving 75 mins if i want this comic, or pay an absurd ebay fee. it's the same with music. there are no music stores within 45-60 mins of my house. walmart moved in, closed the indy stores, and now there's nothing. so if i want something, it's here, interpunk, or ebay. fucking sucks.

yeah dude, I'm 2 1/2 hours from philly and 4 hours from pitt. Champion Ship in Lemoyne (outside of Harrisburg) is the closest record store to me and it's about an hour drive. They are a decent store but don't have a very big vinyl selection. The only time I go is if they are having a good show that day. (they are also a small venue). Central PA sucks.

i didnt read through everything here but heres my take...

its understandable to be pissed at sellers for flipping records but everyone should probably be equally pissed at buyers for paying the prices they're paying. there's two parts of the equation and if buyers continue to feed the sellers, the sellers will keep going for top dollar. i would love, love, love to own a jane doe print (unrelated to vinyl but still music related) but i suck forever and missed out. it kills me that i could have got that for 35 bucks, put it on my wall and love it but was snatched up by people just to flip it for 250-400 bucks but i deal with it. thats the name of the game. ive also decided though if that is the game, then im going to play it too. and in some ways, flipping records has helped me grow my collection. with that said, i dont believe this just stops with ebay. every time someone posts a thread in the sales forum here and says "dont ask how much, just pm me an offer" thats really just saying "tell me what your max bid is and itll go to the highest bidder." the simple, or perhaps not so simple solution (for smaller labels w/ strapped cash flows), is to just keep records in print. wishful thinking, however.

Our label monitors eBay, and we contact every "bidder" that is bidding on one of our readily available releases.

In that we inform them of the release's availability thru our Estore directly.

-J.

what a brilliant label. id never think twice about you guys my money if something ever comes up i want to purchase

Earlier someone mentioned the used bin. That's great for folks like us who live in bigger cities and actually have stores that carry vinyl, but what about those folks in the middle of nowhere who don't have access to resources like that? That certainly effects eBay prices.

i like your point. makes me sad we dont have good record stores here. we have plenty that sell newer records, but ill be buggered if i can track down anything oldish that im interested in. the stores are just too far away, and if they do have somethin, by the time i get there, its probably sold

The weak dollar is indeed a huge factor in this. Nevertheless, it's amusing to see everyone basically ranting about basic capitalist morality - Ebay is just an extremely good facilitator for the fundamental principles of exchange that Titus mentioned earlier. Yeh, I agree it doesn't help keep prices low for me, but personally I get little satisfaction anyway in paying even a little more than face-value for 99% of records. The pleasure comes in eventually tracking down the rare gems, normally in a store, for a reasonable (ie. no more than face) price. I'd understand it if literally being able to hear the music was the issue, but in this age of digital files it clearly isn't; it's just over-privileged fetishism! Rant (for now): over...