whatever happend to that record store list idea?

Guest kevinb

You know the one where people can list stores in each state

and it was supposed to be stickied at the top of the board and such... some one should start that cause i know there has to be more than 5 stores in columbus...

You know the one where people can list stores in each state

and it was supposed to be stickied at the top of the board and such... some one should start that cause i know there has to be more than 5 stores in columbus...

You are right, there is 6.

Someone could easiely pull in the Google Maps API and create a really nice record store map...hmm, maybe I will do this.

If someone is coolw ith making a map or want to make an official thread, I might replace a few of the stickied threads and replace it with a thread that links to each of the official threads (record player, how you found out about VC, record store list, etc).

I did something like this for bars/etc with pinball machines in the seattle/tacoma area and it worked out decent. If no one steps up, I'd be into keeping a good log/gmaps of shops... Or if melikecheese is into it, fire it up :)

gonna see if I can find that pinball map I made...

edit: right here, if you click on the pins, gives you a brief description of the place...

Alright. Let's try this:

I made a map in Google Maps. All I added were a few record stores in MN, but anyone with a Google account (Gmail, Google Docs, etc.) can edit it. Here's how to add a place:

1. Click this link: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=117975672099724473244.0004620892f683ef59b02&z=8

2. Go to your area of the country.

3. Type in the name of the store in the search box.

4. Click the little salmon colored pin thing.

5. Click "add to My Maps" and choose record store finder.

6. Add the hours in the text box if you can.

7. Click save or whatever.

It sounds like a lot of work, but it's really not. I added 8 stores in like 10 minutes including looking up hours.