I GOT A RAISE!

kyle

Man, so stoked on this. Not only do I have a job that I don't have to worry about losing (as long as I don't fuck up, that is) but I just found out I'm getting a raise! It's going to be pretty substantial too, my boss didn't say exactly how much but it should be at least a 30% increase over what I'm making now.

For those of you that are wondering I work for a wholesale car auction. We sell bank-owned repossession cars as well as lease returns and company cars from factory accounts (Toyota, Lexus, etc) to used car dealerships.

that business must be booming. just saw on the news tonight that a ton of businesses are popping up that specialize in cleaning out houses that have been foreclosed on. congrats on the raise.

Yeah, we are swamped! I've been working 10 hour days Monday through Thursday, 12 hour days on Friday (which is our sale day each week) and usually a half day on Saturday. The cars just keep piling up. I walk out onto my lot and see a constant reminder of our shitty ecnomy, 2500+ cars and counting. The crazy thing is, I work on our satellite lot. Our main lot (and it's secondary lot) hold 5,000+ units. We have weekly sales in which 1500+ cars run through the lanes and we still can't keep up! Even in a good economy we stay pretty busy with consignment units, lease returns, company cars, rentals, etc. There are still repos but it's not like this.

The worst part is some of the stuff we find in these cars. Usually it's just trash or a pair of shoes or some old t-shirt. But sometimes the stuff belongs to children. The other day we found a baseball bag full of gear for a little kid; bat, baseballs, a glove, cleats. All for some kid who was probably in tee-ball. His parents couldn't pay their bills, do you really think he'll be getting a new baseball glove anytime soon? Last month a guy found 2 cases of formula, a case of diapers and a diaper bag full of baby essentials. It's not alwasy that sad... a few months ago the trunk of one car had HUNDREDS of calanders with half-naked dudes in them. And then of course there's knives, guns, drugs and other crazy shit.

do you get some sweet deals on cars?

Yeah, I've seen some really good deals. The auction is for car dealers only and is closed to the public. Since each car purchased is intended for resale on a used car lot the average price of cars sold is 10-30% under Blue Book. Sometimes more. It's really easy to circumvent the whole dealers only thing. I just get one of the dealers I know to buy a car for me through the auction, then give him a couple hundred bucks for his troubles and you still come out ahead. You're not going to find INSANE deals and it's not really the place to go if you only have a few hundred to spend. Usually it's cars that are worth, say $9,000 on a lot or through a private party sale, but you can pick it up for $6,000.

Bodies?

That would be amazing but no.

Actually the craziest thing was when one of our mechanics discovered that a car was FILLED with hidden cocaine-in the seats, in the floors, in the doors, etc. Shit was intense.

whoa...did you call the cops on that?

Somebody probably got whacked because their car was repossessed-that's fucking intense.

being a repo guy has to be pretty tough sometimes. they take a lot of physical and verbal abuse. there was a show about it, 2 actually, one was just on cars and the other was everything from furniture and TV's. on one episode they had to repo a crib and when they went to get it the baby was sleeping in it. could you imagine trying to take a sleeping baby's crib.

Congrats on that sizeable raise. That is awesome.

I got a raise as well...a whoping 2%...woo hoo!

haha me too! you are not alone.

and the governor's trying to get the unions to make us forego our contractual 2% "cost of living" raise in july.

asshole.

but yeah, my boyfriend was a tech at several dealers in the past year and a half and he told me he found a crapload of weird stuff in people's cars. he found a trunkload of guns once, haha. dont you think youd at least take those out of your car before you took it to the dealer to get work done?

Congrats on that sizeable raise. That is awesome.

I got a raise as well...a whoping 2%...woo hoo!

and the governor's trying to get the unions to make us forego our contractual 2% "cost of living" raise in july.

asshole.

but yeah, my boyfriend was a tech at several dealers in the past year and a half and he told me he found a crapload of weird stuff in people's cars. he found a trunkload of guns once, haha. dont you think youd at least take those out of your car before you took it to the dealer to get work done?

Would you steal guns from someone who leaves their car at the dealer with a trunk of guns? I'm gonna bet they've got at least one more squirreled away somewhere.

asshole.

Would you steal guns from someone who leaves their car at the dealer with a trunk of guns? I'm gonna bet they've got at least one more squirreled away somewhere.

haha true. it just looks reeeeeally shady.

it was a saab dealer; dude was probably part of the swedish mafia.

haha true. it just looks reeeeeally shady.

it was a saab dealer; dude was probably part of the swedish mafia.

Ha! My family's Swedish, I didn't even consider a Swedish mafia. I bet they have Ikea stuff that fell off the truck... Meatballs of suspicious origin, and all that.