Vinyl Downloads, help needed

Haha, I love kids. Seriously, did Scott attack you? Did he rape your mother? No, he made a claim about a person who runs a download company and he didn't feel like naming who he heard it from. It's a bit sketchy sure but it doesn't warrant all the, "Scotts a fucking fuck fuck liar fat fuck cunt nugget shit storm".

Seriously, I don't think deadformat is going to lose any business over this (which is the key for libel, that you can prove it had some negative impact), so chill the fuck out.

Scott, as a notable and somewhat regarded figure in the music community, purposely attacked and attempted to defame a competing website to the one he supports by publishing a rumor that had no base to it whatsoever without acknowledging the fact that it may have been false. Sounds like libel to me.

There were words that are false and injurious to another, words that expose another person to hatred, contempt or ridicule and words that tend to harm the reputation of another so as to lower him in the estimation of the community or deter third persons from associating or dealing with him.

Also, business and corporations may have a legitimate libel claim when criticism of the business falsely implies wrongdoing on their part.

This obviously not worth getting into but since Scott works in publications, he should really know better to keep him mouth shut with this kind of stuff.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, I love kids. Seriously, did Scott attack you? Did he rape your mother? No, he made a claim about a person who runs a download company and he didn't feel like naming who he heard it from. It's a bit sketchy sure but it doesn't warrant all the, "Scotts a fucking fuck fuck liar fat fuck cunt nugget shit storm".

Seriously, I don't think deadformat is going to lose any business over this (which is the key for libel, that you can prove it had some negative impact), so chill the fuck out.

Scott, as a notable and somewhat regarded figure in the music community, purposely attacked and attempted to defame a competing website to the one he supports by publishing a rumor that had no base to it whatsoever without acknowledging the fact that it may have been false. Sounds like libel to me.

There were words that are false and injurious to another, words that expose another person to hatred, contempt or ridicule and words that tend to harm the reputation of another so as to lower him in the estimation of the community or deter third persons from associating or dealing with him.

Also, business and corporations may have a legitimate libel claim when criticism of the business falsely implies wrongdoing on their part.

This obviously not worth getting into but since Scott works in publications, he should really know better to keep him mouth shut with this kind of stuff.

Oh shit son, the internets police are here! How does he support a competing website? he doesn't have any stock in any vinyl download service. He doesn't put out records so he doesn't use the other site for his releases.

As for the implication of wrong doing you need to keep the actual impact of Scott's comments in perspective. Otherwise, coke would go after every hobo that says they put radio wires in their dentures. If you can't prove there's any negative impact it's not gonna get too far. Secondly, he never said they did anything illegal, just something messed up and shady. It's not as if he's filing a class action lawsuit against Dead Format.

Also, I love that he should be held to some higher standard than everyone because of his job. I get that he works for some publication (that all of you claim not to read and that you hate) but this wasn't an AP story, this wasn't in Scott's blog, it was a messageboard. Tons of people on this site work for publications, record labels and other music related positions, do we want to start holding them up for libel for everything they say?

If this wasn't Scott and wasn't Deadformat (who some people hold an odd loyalty to) this wouldn't even be a two page story. That's the end of it.

Dante - I don't think anybody is claiming that anybody else should ACTUALLY file charges for libel here. It was merely mentioned in passing that what Scott did is, in fact, libel. And then somebody else said that, as somebody who works for a print magazine, he should know better, which is absolutely true. Nobody said that he should be held to higher standards than normal people, just that as somebody with experience in publication, he should know better.

In addition, there is a major difference between running a record label, which exists to publish musical performance, and a print magazine which exists to publish information. Also, people who just review records for websites and shit probably aren't well-versed on libel law. If they were writing regular columns or were working for magazines, newspapers, etc. they probably would be.

Finally, I think people stood up for Nick because they're his friends that know firsthand that Nick couldn't score any outside back end if he tried, if you catch my drift.

i like that someone else took my side of the libel thing and made the point pretty clear. internet defamation is one of the hardest things to prove, especially on message boards. if Scott published his claim on CNN.com or wrote it in AP the impact would be much farther spread and much easier to prove. if a case would potentially be made Nick would have to prove that Scott's comments on something unrelating to Nick's download service, negatively affected his revenue and can be blamed for lose of reputation.

all this really accomplished was stirring up the old VC vs DF debate and all the drama that goes along with that. i fail to see the need for people to go on either board and bash the other one because it accomplishes nothing.

who is debating DF vs VC? nobody.

Nick also started a thread over on DF bringing attention to Scott's comment, and that pretty much started the shit flinging on DF's end. i don't prefer one site to another, i use both and submit a ton of stuff to DF. both sites have their ups and downs, but it seems as it's more DF users hating on VC than VC users hating on DF.

who is debating DF vs VC? nobody.

Nick also started a thread over on DF bringing attention to Scott's comment, and that pretty much started the shit flinging on DF's end. i don't prefer one site to another, i use both and submit a ton of stuff to DF. both sites have their ups and downs, but it seems as it's more DF users hating on VC than VC users hating on DF.

He didn't make the thread to start shit talk or incite shit talk. If you open your fucking eyes he expresses how bummed out he is by the stupidity from one fat name dropper spouting out stupid fucking nonsense. He can't control that users are there to defend him and point out who the fucking stupid idiot is in the situation. Common Sense in 2009, could be a useful tool, try it.

He didn't make the thread to start shit talk or incite shit talk. If you open your fucking eyes he expresses how bummed out he is by the stupidity from one fat name dropper spouting out stupid fucking nonsense. He can't control that users are there to defend him and point out who the fucking stupid idiot is in the situation. Common Sense in 2009, could be a useful tool, try it.

I'm not trying to start shit but the thread started along the lines of "I'm so bummed at this, I know I shouldn't be (blah blah) Link to other thread".

Maybe it's because I don't go on messageboards in general to vent about my problems but when you start a topic about it (and especially when you link it[and when you head up the messageboard you post the topic on]) it seems like you're trying to do a little more than just express frustration at your problems.

Anyhow, that's just my take as a guy who saw the thread but doesn't read Deadformat regularly.

I see both companies as viable options but I personally use DeadFormat because Nick is my dude. I'm sure plenty of people feel that way about Kyle and the VD.com people. Just don't use dropcards.com. What a fucking waste of plastic (and money).

Truth. I really hate it when threads like this get started. You have a handful of people on one side of the fence saying their grass is greener -- then the other people claim "no, this shit is pretty green over here bro'hams". Then there are people actually ON the fence grabbing blades from both sides and tossing them in the air and no one has any clue where anything is fucking landing.

Bottom line? It's all grass baby. Maybe DF cuts theirs shorter than VD. Maybe VD has a more lush grow pattern. Maybe DF uses miracle grow and VD only uses manure. Maybe VD installed sprinklers but DF uses a natural irrigation pattern of the field. We might be "competing" but no one has stolen our back-end and if there's anyone claiming that DF stole any intellectual property from VD, well that's just plain bull.

We're both doing our thang the best way we know how and as of yet neither of us has decided to partner with the other because there is simply no need. I really wish all this shit'talking would stop (regardless of whether it's about VD or not) and we all realize that this right here is the essence of a free market.

I dunno, I just want to make it really clear that VD has absolutely no harsh feelings toward DF or any other DIY operations in the regards of digital downloads, wax or not. DropCards however -- imho -- are anything but the bee's knees and I'd rather see someone go to DF over VD if it meant DC got cut out of the loop.

Now if you don't mind -- I have some grass to cut.

--Wes.

where did I blame Nick for starting shit, especially since he never criticized VC, only Scott? the other members weren't just defending Nick or hating on Scott, they went off into other tangents about VC users and this board in general. complaining about avatars and banners in some users' sig, hating on splatter vinyl again, how people quote; what does any of that have to do with Scott's comment? backing up Nick is fine, all you have to do is say i got your back.

i like that someone else took my side of the libel thing and made the point pretty clear. internet defamation is one of the hardest things to prove, especially on message boards. if Scott published his claim on CNN.com or wrote it in AP the impact would be much farther spread and much easier to prove. if a case would potentially be made Nick would have to prove that Scott's comments on something unrelating to Nick's download service, negatively affected his revenue and can be blamed for lose of reputation.

How is it unrelated to his service?

He said the that nick stole the code to create the service. That seems very related to me. And if the person who started this thread was dissuaded by that comment, then right there is a loss of revenue. Like forge said, charges aren't going to be pressed, but yes it was libel.

To Dante, its a big deal because its not personal anymore, it is about a business. And yes it was an attack. If I posted that you were a bad trader and you ripped me off, what would you do? You'd say that is a lie, and others who have traded with you would come in and vouch for you. And thats just to protect you, so imagine if this is your business being discussed.

There are people on both sides who need to be ignored.

Main issue. Scott's claim was an outright lie with absolutely no evidence to prove otherwise. Apparently he is a respected member of this forum, and his words would have an impact. His only retort after being called out is that someone told him that it was true.

That's pretty fucked up, and he deserves to get called out on it.

I'd expect any member of any of these forums to not stand for outright lies against those trying to help out our community and make it a better place for us.

I wrote what I wrote based on an in-person conversation with another member of this board who had what sure seemed like first-hand knowledge of the situation. I'm not going to out them because that's not my place to do so, but I trust what they told me.

This is why you

trust no one.

Srsly, I am very skeptical of anyone telling me anything that they should not have first hand knowledge about, like if they didn't work for Dead Format, they don't know squat.

I see both companies as viable options but I personally use DeadFormat because Nick is my dude. I'm sure plenty of people feel that way about Kyle and the VD.com people. Just don't use dropcards.com. What a fucking waste of plastic (and money).

Truth. I really hate it when threads like this get started. You have a handful of people on one side of the fence saying their grass is greener -- then the other people claim "no, this shit is pretty green over here bro'hams". Then there are people actually ON the fence grabbing blades from both sides and tossing them in the air and no one has any clue where anything is fucking landing.

Bottom line? It's all grass baby. Maybe DF cuts theirs shorter than VD. Maybe VD has a more lush grow pattern. Maybe DF uses miracle grow and VD only uses manure. Maybe VD installed sprinklers but DF uses a natural irrigation pattern of the field. We might be "competing" but no one has stolen our back-end and if there's anyone claiming that DF stole any intellectual property from VD, well that's just plain bull.

We're both doing our thang the best way we know how and as of yet neither of us has decided to partner with the other because there is simply no need. I really wish all this shit'talking would stop (regardless of whether it's about VD or not) and we all realize that this right here is the essence of a free market.

I dunno, I just want to make it really clear that VD has absolutely no harsh feelings toward DF or any other DIY operations in the regards of digital downloads, wax or not. DropCards however -- imho -- are anything but the bee's knees and I'd rather see someone go to DF over VD if it meant DC got cut out of the loop.

Now if you don't mind -- I have some grass to cut.

--Wes.

cute how you call it VD the whole time.