Vinyl Downloads, help needed

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've done / we are currently doing downloads for the following labels (with a lot more coming up):

Eenie Meenie Records

Fast Geek Empire

Forcefield Records

Forge Again Records

Houseplant Records

Init Records

Magic Bullet Records

Neutral Territory Records

People In A Position To Know

REACT! Records

Solidarity Recordings

The Mylene Sheath

http://www.vinyldownloads.com/

Virgil and a ton of other label dudes here use it.

Don't use deadformat's service. hit up kylewilliam about it.

peace God.

Deadformat is alot cheaper though but I do not know any one who has used it.

It's cheaper because the dude didn't have to invest any time or money into building his backend.

In a completely unrelated note, people who steal website backends from other sites usually save bundles on time and money.

I'm really curious why anyone would think that I stole any type of code from another website (especially when you can't actually SEE the backend portion of it). I spent quite a lot of time developing everything from scratch, and I'm still working on improving it.

The REAL reason I keep it cheap is because a friend of mine hosts my site at a very affordable price so there's no need for me to charge anything more. I think the whole idea of providing digital downloads with vinyl records is extremely important and I do it nice and cheap to help out indie labels who don't exactly have a lot of money to spend on stuff like this.

I'm really curious why anyone would think that I stole any type of code from another website (especially when you can't actually SEE the backend portion of it). I spent quite a lot of time developing everything from scratch, and I'm still working on improving it.

The REAL reason I keep it cheap is because a friend of mine hosts my site at a very affordable price so there's no need for me to charge anything more. I think the whole idea of providing digital downloads with vinyl records is extremely important and I do it nice and cheap to help out indie labels who don't exactly have a lot of money to spend on stuff like this.

Yeah, that's some unnecessary shit-talking on Scott's part without any firsthand information. I know Nick built that shit himself because it took that motherfucker forever to get my shit up;)

I see both companies as viable options but I personally use DeadFormat because Nick is my dude. I'm sure plenty of people feel that way about Kyle and the VD.com people. Just don't use dropcards.com. What a fucking waste of plastic (and money).

when you are spending $1200 on a 7", the difference between $15 and $50 isn't that much. I used vinyldownloads.com because they were on their feet while Dead Format was still working out bugs. I think both would be great, and they are both probably run by great people. I have no complaints about vinyldownloads and I haven't used dead format yet.

and it's totally free advertising for nick. he get's $15 to host some mp3's and gets tons of site traffic through DF. sounds good to me.

DF has a bunch of other stuff to offer and vinyl downloads has one service.

it's like, why go to a store that refils ink cartidges when the target or walgreens does it for half the price and you're going there anyway.

not a rip on either service by any means!

It's cheaper because the dude didn't have to invest any time or money into building his backend.

In a completely unrelated note, people who steal website backends from other sites usually save bundles on time and money.

[image]

mine was better

http://vinylcollective.proboards79.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=etc&thread=27173&page=1#497191

I wrote what I wrote based on an in-person conversation with another member of this board who had what sure seemed like first-hand knowledge of the situation. I'm not going to out them because that's not my place to do so, but I trust what they told me.

Sorry dude, but whatever that person told you is 100% false. I've developed every single part of it without "stealing" code from anyone else... and I'd be more than happy to prove it to anyone who is doubtful (although I shouldn't really have to). I'm the only person who will ever have "first-hand knowledge" of the situation... considering I've never discussed the details of the backend of the system with anybody. I have no idea who could have told you that or why.

I think Nickman is a badass dude and I think DF is a badass website. I've bought ad space through the site before and had good results and he even tossed it up there for an extra 5 days for me.

You can't always go by what you hear. I for one would rather use DF's service before anything else; based on the great service I've already been accompanied with and the reasonable rates, you can't beat it.

Glad people enjoy working with Dead Format, I just wanted to chime in that I have had nothing but excellent service with Vinyl Downloads and I am a loyal person so I have no plans on changing. Vinyl Downloads rules.