Album Cover Game!

pjaicomo

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[image]

After a long hiatus, Superconvergence frontman Babar Sweeney and drummer Rich Elefante are finally back and seem to have not missed a beat. Their new album "more miracles than any wonder drug" is a strong follow-up to their sophomore effort "ain't no party like a cyborg party" which drew critical acclaim and helped the duo build a worldwide fanbase. their last tour spanned six continents and 44 countries, but there is speculation that such extensive touring led to burnout. here we are, nearly 30 months later, and the wait seems worth it.

RIYL: The Dresden Dolls, Local H

[image]

Wyoming Highway 253, much like its actual namesake, originate from Evansville, Wyoming. It's not often these days when you find a band that has literally been influenced by nothing musically but church choirs and fuzzy country songs coming over the radio, but living in a town so far removed (both physically and socially) from the rest of civilization has given this trio a clean canvas to work with. "the world from outer space" is a powerful album from start to finish, with musical stylings ranging across the board. genres from folk to jazz and from punk to blues seem to appear, but it's all from the melting pot that is the minds of Caitlin Andresen (bass), Frank Ancona (drums) and John Castro (guitar, vocals) since they have no way to hear or experience any type of music other than their own. radio signals barely even travel out to Evansville, Wyoming, and the nearest record store is 350 miles away. but maybe, just maybe, we're all better off for it.

Sounds Like: your favorite new band.

[image]

Maryna Novik has quit javelin throwing, the Olympic sport that propelled him to national fame in his homeland of Belarus, to instead focus on his spoken-word beat poetry career. Unconscious At Night is his first official release following a series of live demo CD-Rs available only at track meets in the former Soviet Union in 2007 (which now fetch upwards of 17,000 rubles on Russia's equivalent of eBay, GlastnostGarageSale.ru). Unconscious At Night was recorded live to tape in one take in the Olympian's modest two-bedroom apartment, and contain his musings on life, love and, as evident on the disc's title track, sleep.

RIYL: Jello Biafra, Iron & Wine, Brokencyde

[image]

Hailing from Austin, Texas, McDonnell Douglas Corp. v. Green are the newest instrumental post-rock band to blow your ears away this hour. The lineup, which can fluctuate from between three and 17 people onstage at any given time, uses non-traditional instruments like güiro, sitar, finger cymbals and jetpack to accentuate the maelstrom of delay-pedaled baritone guitar lines laid down by virtuoso Alfonso R. Voltaire IV. Look for them at this year's South By Southwest, where they will be playing on top of a parking garage each morning at 4:44 a.m. for 44 seconds only.

RIYL: Explosions In The Sky, the Flaming Lips, Sonic Youth

Goddamnit. I want to play!!! I have to do some work, and I will give it a go this evening. I am glad to see Scott entered the arena. This game has endless possibility now that we added our specialty nerd component - album reviews.

ps I was really hoping GlastnostGarageSale.ru was an actual website.

My attempt at humor.

[image]

Prog-grindcore band Jane Goodall Institute return with their twelfth disc of aural insanity. From the 1.486 second opener 'Ballgernon Nadballader' to the near 17 minute closer 'Pooicide Crylence', JGI is still pushing the envelope even by grindcore standards. Perhaps the most interesting thing about this album is the curious use of Comic Sans font for their album title.

RIYL: Rush, Agoraphobic Nosebleed, post-Mmm Bop Hanson

Missouri native, Thomas William Jones shines a bright light with his first full-length release. Cup of Silence is an acoustic guitar-laden gospel experience with soaring choral arrangements and desperate piano ballads. RIYL: Gavin Degraw, Matt Wertz

[image]

Oh man, this would win a Dove award for its cover art alone.