Possibly getting a dog advice...

So I've been wanting to get a dog for a while now, but am having trouble deciding what approach to take. I know a lot of you are dog lovers so I have some questions...

What breed should I get? I have a semi-large one bedroom apt that's across the street from a park and I would definitely take the dog for daily walks. Also, on the weekends I'm usually at my bf's house. He has a huge yard and 2 female put bull terriers. So my dilema is finding a breed that isn't too small to be around his dogs, but small enough to not feel cooped up in my apt during the week.

Should I adopt from a rescue/shelter or search out a breeder? I feel like I should definitely rescue a dog, but I also being a little cautious because of future medical problems/behavior issues/etc and know that dogs from breeders are a little more predictable.

If anyone has advice or could share with me their experiences it would really help. Thanks!!

definately rescue. hands down. no questions about it.

purebred dogs actually have far more medical issues that are breed specific than the 'mutts' at shelters.

as far as apartment living, i recommend a greyhound. sounds weird, but my sister is a greyhound NUT and is an encyclopedia of information on them, and they do really really well in apartments. they're basically couch potatoes and like to chill and sleep most of the day.

The owners of a body shop I go to often have a mini greyhound. His name is Buddy...and he's a hyper little guy but completely awesome.

yeah, the little ones (probably an italian greyhound) are a lot more high strung than a straight up full size greyhound.

they literally sleep for 20 hours a day; it surprises a lot of people! they do need walks just like any other dog, and you have to make sure theyre on a leash (cuz of their crazy breakaway speed), but no more than any other breed.

Shelter dog for sure, plus the humane society here was really good about taking care of my dog after i got her. She had to have a hernia surgery right after i picked her and they took her in and did the surgery for free. Plus they even worked out follow up appointments at a humane society friendly vet so i wouldnt get charged.

they were overly nice. Plus if they are "kill" shelters that is even more of a reason to save/adopt one of those dogs.

I really want a corgi for my next dog... Hope one pops up in a local shelter soon.

[image]

yeah seriously go to a shelter...get a mutt, because there is no better dog than a mutt. fuck ever having a pure bred, they're pains in the asses, expensive and get sick a lot. my family has had 3 dogs in my life one for 14+ years and the other two for the past 12-15 years(the younger one just died) and 2/3 were mutts and all from dog rescue shelters.

As long as the boyfriend's dogs are friendly, you shouldn't have a problem with any type of breed. I have 3 dogs, the smallest of which being 2.5 lbs, and the tiny one is the pack leader. Maybe you should try to find a female lab mix at the shelter or pound as she won't be too big, but not small enough to be bullied. My apartment was quite large and the park was down the street, I could see it from my balcony. I had a French Bulldog and a Corgi/Chihuahua (about 30 lbs each) mix when I lived there (I still have them, just moved home) and they were quite comfy, so maybe look for a dog in the 40-70 lb range with a medium frame.

A lot of rescue dogs have just been abandoned and sometimes have real issues with other dogs/animals/children so you'll have to watch out for that if they're to be romping with the bf's dogs. There are also breed specific rescues if you have one in mind, just google the name of the breed with rescue and they'll pop up. I know for a fact there are French Bulldog, English Bulldog, Beagle, Dalmatian, and German Shepherd rescue sites/foundations. You can rescue and get a breed you like, huzzah!