watchmen by zack snyder discuss

perhaps not underrated, but underREAD. my roomate, who's a pretty damn big nerd had never heard of it. lots of people have never heard of it. i hadn't heard of it until about two years ago.

There are a lot of important comics that most people know of... Sandman, Cerebus, Love & Rockets, Zap!, etc... If you're into "superhero comics", you wouldn't necessarily know those, or Watchmen since it's the quintessential anti-superhero comic.

I think it's the largest disservice to the medium of comic to read superhero comics.

In related news, the wife and I went to see it tonight. She thought it was long and thought it was kinda silly.

I haven't read the comics in probably close to 15 years, so I remembered the basic story, but not the details. I purposely didn't reread them before going to see it.

Some complaints were Rorschach's voice and the pacing being a little slow. I thought the sex scene was unnecessarily gratuitous, as was the overabundance of Dr Manhattan schlong. Otherwise, it was pretty enjoyable.

I really enjoyed it. We can bitch and moan about how this and that were different than in the book, but we all knew this was going to happen. Some of the pacing dig drag at points, and the sex scene did leave me a little confused as to how I was supposed to feel, but overall I can say I'll definitely watch it again.

But the best part? The soundtrack. Totally picking that sucker up.

I think I would have liked it more if I hadn't read the book. Knowing what I knew about the book, I didn't like much of it, like Silk Spectre II not smoking, the whole Hollis situation being left out, the lack of squid, etc.. It was a good popcorn flick, but I think that it could have been better. May need to see it again.

I loved the shit out of the novel and the movie but was a bit pissed off that parents were bringing their 8 year old kids to see it with them.

That movie was not aimed at children. And they're too young to even grasp the message of it so all they left with was 2 people fucking and a bunch of people getting the shit beat out of them. Cool for me but not for them.

visually it was an incredible achievement and the pop culture shit was a cool touch, but as a straight moviegoer it was a poorly constructed movie especially with its long run time. the pace and development of the movie was just as random and confusng as 300 was. so much of the movie felt like it was just happening for no reason and brought nothing to the story or development of the characters.

also what was with dr manhattans straight soap opera plot? for being compared to God and someone that didnt care about the human race anymore, he was quite the whimp when it came to women.

i would say that if you didn't know the story that this movie would have been confusing, the kind of thing that makes you watch it again, but for anyone of us who did read it, i think they made the movie nearly the same as the book, granted i knew about the omission of the pirate ship and lack of the kid reading the comic book, but comon, there were scenes that were the actual frames from the comic. If your unsatisfied with this movie when it comes to the integrity of story being told, i guess the only thing that will make you happy is your own imagination. I feel they did a really good job at telling a story that doesn't accomidate the norm as far as hollywood stories go.

B+

didn't mind paying to see it, which is rare for me, but read the book first