Vinyl damage (of your own making...)

I recently purchased a record from VC which arrived at my house the other day in perfect condition, despite having travelled from pretty much the other side of the world. ;D

However, within about 15 mins of the very first time I put it on my record player, I managed to drop one of my stereo speakers onto the record player, which resulted in not only cracking the player's cover, but also a noticeable scratch on the LP. :'(

So, partly to make myself feel better about my own clumsiness...I was just wondering if anyone else has inflicted damage to any of their vinyl? I am not talking about in the post etc, but something you have done yourself?

I dropped a record on the floor once while taking it out of the dust sleeve. Got a few minor scratches on it, but still played fine.

My dog caused a couple of scratches by getting really worked up when a record is playing and jumping around and bumping into the cabinet causing the needle to jump...nothing too serious though.

Speaking of dogs, mine partially ate my copy of Alkaline Trio - For Your Lungs Only several years ago. I guess I shouldn't have left it on the coffee table. :'(

My dog won't eat anything...but if he hears something outside or something on a record (like a noise that could resemble a barking dog) he loses his mind and always makes the record skip.

I dropped a record on the floor once while taking it out of the dust sleeve. Got a few minor scratches on it, but still played fine.

My dog caused a couple of scratches by getting really worked up when a record is playing and jumping around and bumping into the cabinet causing the needle to jump...nothing too serious though.

my dogs and my wife all know that they do not go near the records and or player or they will get beat down.

my wife was so happy when i let her flip to a b-side. i must have been drunk.

My copy of Upstairs/Downstairs is a trooper. I've dropped it so many times and it has the scuffs to prove it, but it still plays perfectly.

Meggie my chipmunk loves my alkaline - catch the LP, while spinning on the player, she jumped on the record and made some scratches with her foot.....

the record is now making some bad noises ....mh

she really loves it when the record spins , it seems really fascinating to her.

But we all learn from our mistakes.

always close the dust case when playing!

Meggie my chipmunk loves my alkaline - catch the LP, while spinning on the player, she jumped on the record and made some scratches with her foot.....

the record is now making some bad noises ....mh

she really loves it when the record spins , it seems really fascinating to her.

But we all learn from our mistakes.

always close the dust case when playing!

chipmunk? is that german for kitten.

one time i left the cover off my player while listening to nirvana - in utero on clear. my cat saw something moving above and proceeded to jump up onto the actual record while it was playing. luckily, there was no audible damage, i almost shit when it happened.

dude you guys with cats need to fucking invisible fence that shit or something.

I've dropped 2 or 3 records while drunk, one while sober which caught the corner of the dresser, but it's ok. My player has a arm-raiser lever, and sometimes I'm quick to touch the arm to move it back to starting position before I actually lift the arm and it always makes me feel retarded. I don't think I've ever noticeably damaged any records though.

Give it time, though. I have faith that I'll ruin something.

In 2003, I lent my Gasp - Drome Triler LP to a friend. Next year I moved to a different state for 4 years. Last year I move back and run in to the friend, who gives me the record back after 5 years looking like absolute shit. It was scratched and scuffed so bad I was sure it was trash. I went home and threw it on my player and was surprised to find it didn't skip even once. After playing it my wife is like"let me see that record", and proceeds to drop it on the floor. I was pretty pissed.

One time i was bringing some records over to my brothers house to listen to. There were about 10 i'd say in the passenger seat next to me. I'm driving along, end up having to slam on my brakes to avoid getting into a wreck and the records fly off the seat onto the floor. I screamed like a little girl but I don't think there was any damage besides one of the corners on the This Will Destroy You - Young Mountain got bent.