pirates press records - crud inside?

I've noticed this with most records that pirates press had something to do with, little tiny pieces of vinyl the size of sand inside with the record. This has fucked up my tim barry record and make me not even wanna take it out of the sleeve anymore. Doesn't help that it has those sleeves with the lyrics and artwork(which I hate) Anyone else notice this? Anything to clear it up? I just got the AJJ/CS split in today from VC and when I pulled one of them out of the sleeve, I could hear all the little sand pieces grinding, ugh!

It usually happens with splatter records. The dust/sand is just a byproduct of how they make the splatter effect. Like Martin said, clean it, use a new dust sleeve and you should be ok.

I thought it was haze, not splatter?

Splatter is still made by using pellets, but haze is made with powder.

Yes. It is the haze. The dust comes from the small bits that they use to make the haze, it is created form the friction of the millions of pieces being moved around in the giant vinyl "bags"

It get in the air, and ends up in the sleeves.

It should not cause any problems at all with playing, just clean the record.

yeah it's either the splatter or the haze records.

one of many, many reasons to press your releases at a domestic plant.

I'm probably going to re-press the Shot Baker LP soon, but get new plates & start from scratch because it'll be cheaper to get new plates and order covers than it will to repress the lp at pirates press without jackets...or at least that was the case with my quote I asked for a few months ago.

well, got my drag the river UTI's today and one of them was pretty fucked, hmmmm, never gotten one like this, not a big deal, but it's funny the day after I start this thread, I get another record with this issue, but even worse...

Looks like it wasn't cut very well, but made it through any sort of inspection they might do and also had tons of the sand/particles all over it and even some of it in the vinyl(red dots)

[image]

[image]

[image]

Kind of shitty I have to clean records before they're even played...

Guest smccown13
Speaking of cleaning...how do you guys normally clean your records?

dishwasher. works every time.

Oh, I usually just use turpentine.

sorry, guess I'm a little greener than I thought when it comes to records. I'll even admit that I've never cleaned any of my records. I've read about diluting alcohol with distilled water though. Whatever, I'll shut up now. Still amazes me pirates press sends records out like this...

sorry, guess I'm a little greener than I thought when it comes to records. I'll even admit that I've never cleaned any of my records. I've read about diluting alcohol with distilled water though. Whatever, I'll shut up now. Still amazes me pirates press sends records out like this...

i agree with you. i dont understand why everyone thinks this is acceptable especially since from what i've gathered pirates press is more expensive than a bunch of other pressing plants. i have a bunch of records that have this dust on them and i actually got another today (this one isn't even a haze, its just a solid color) and it drives me nuts

i should invest in a record brush though but i have no idea what kind to get

http://www.sleevetown.com/record-brushes.shtml

i have both the first and last ones listed. the last one for used records with a lot of grime and dust on them. just the first time around.

the first one gets used everytime i put a record on the turntable. always brush your records before you play them.