CIV Fans

Banner

This video was fun...

Set Your Goals is probably my favorite hardcore record ever and I hope this means that they'll play a reunion show, because I will be there no matter what.

although as a goofball completist, I must mention that they're not including the instrumental version of Can't Wait One minute More from the 12" single.

Set Your Goals is probably my favorite hardcore record ever and I hope this means that they'll play a reunion show, because I will be there no matter what.

didn't they do a reunion show for superbowl of hardcore either last year or the year before?

they did, but I found out too late to get a ticket, get on a plane, etc.

plus I wanna see them play a club of some sort, not a fest.

Sometimes I read this board and just get all confused. CIV (great guy, don't bet me wrong) has never been taken seriously as a band. We're talking about a record that was written note for note, lyrics and all, by someone not even in the band. It's poppy, but come on.

I'm not shitting on anyone's opinion, I'm just always surprised what gets people's dick hard.

Et tu Justin?

No, I'm thinking of et tu brute. Isn't that a Gorilla Biscuits song?

...I mean it's a grey area with these songs from that era of the band, I'm sure 1 or 2 of these were either played by GB live or partially written while the band was still active...Walter does play uncredited on SYG, and as far as I've been told wrote all the songs, which is why 13 Day Getaway is so different, because those were all written by the the 4 band members, not Walter.

Sometimes I read this board and just get all confused. CIV (great guy, don't bet me wrong) has never been taken seriously as a band. We're talking about a record that was written note for note, lyrics and all, by someone not even in the band. It's poppy, but come on.

I'm not shitting on anyone's opinion, I'm just always surprised what gets people's dick hard.

Et tu Justin?

i missed this post earlier.

when I got into punk rock & hardcore in 95/96 it was through Start Today, the Minor Threat Discography, Don't Turn Away & Big Choice, the first 3 Sick of It All albums, Slip and Set Your Goals.

Context is everything, and for me these records are so far anchored in my subconscious that I will not ever escape them or their influence on my taste.

while a lot of people can complain about that record being poppy-crap, it was my entry point to hardcore.

My friend Adam played me Start Today and then was like, ok, you liked that...this is most of those guys' new band...then put on Set Your Goals. While I'll go to my grave championing the SYG album, everyone has that odd crossover band they defend ardently that opened their eyes to a whole lot of other things.

We're not born jaded assholes with "impeccable taste"...some people forget that.

Easy Justin, read the post above yours. I'm not saying I have impeccable taste. The point I was trying to make is that I'm always surprised what gets people's rocks off. I think you generally have good taste in music, so I was a little surprised that you were so into a band that I always thought most people kind of viewed as a joke. But that's the way it goes. Like I said, I have a ridiculous amount of shit in my collection that would probably embarrass me if I gave a shit. I love Steeley Dan. I mean LOVE that shit. Didn't mean to come off like a pretentious record collector.

Xlovecouloredx: you're smart. We're easily the smartest people on the board. We are to be admired and maybe, just maybe, feared a little bit.

I've never known them to ever be considered a "joke" band except the singer from MK Ultra tried to make fun of me once for wearing a CIV shirt...but that dude was funny on so many other levels, that it negated him trying to make me feel bad for liking a band he didn't like because he's older and saw their previous band that broke up when I was still in grade school...