Seeing Bands 2 Nights in a Row

Just curious as to other people's experiences...I saw The Faint Friday and Saturday and although they played 20ish songs both nights they only played 2 different songs on Sat. Contrary to that I saw Bloc Party 2 nights in a row last september and they played alot of different stuff.

I would think as a band playing the same stuff night after night gets a little old. Thoughts?

Not sure. I've seen it once or twice and usually there's some variation. My biggest experience (two weeks on Warped Tour) I can tell you Weezer played literally the same set every night. Green Day played the same songs, different order. NOFX actually did quite a bit of change up. But I also think most bands are on cruise control for Warped.

If a band's playing the same city two nights in a row, then I'd expect them to switch up their set a bit, but if you're driving to shows in two different cities, I think it's okay if they kept their set the same because the crowd is largely different every night.

Also, the bigger you get and the more production you incorporate, the trickier it can be to deviate from the setlist or switch it up randomly. Your sound guy and lighting guy all have stuff programmed in for the setlist you give them, so to go off-script can throw them off.

I think dealing with the faint, since their show comes with a light show and video screens that sync up with what theyre playing live, theyre kinda forced to do that being that theyre running a well oiled machine.

I didn't really think of that, but its very true, especially for a band like the faint that incorporates alot of video & lights into their set. I don't want to take anything away from their set, they are a great live band. And I totally agree with bands playing two nights in two cities and having similar sets since you don't expect the same people to be in attendance.

recently i saw the pogues play back to back sets...first night they did 3 encores and the second night they only played 2 encores...so fucking lame

oh and also...this one time i toured with this band across the globe. they played japan, russia, china, africa and south america. i didn't get to see a lot of the sets, it was mostly just the banter back stage and they changed it up a lot. sometimes they would just get really drunk in south america or another times they would snort green dugs singapore! it was pretty rad!

i saw the pixies twice in the same night a couple years back. theyre not exactly known for stage banter but they did change up the setlist pretty well.

in the high school days i saw the ataris 4 times in 2 nights. trying to remember how they changed up sets. it was something like an all request set, a spin the wheel set, a rarities set, and a regular set. they however did not like my request for "ray."

NOFX do a good job of switching setlists up.

Most bands have their live staples; it's the shit in between you hope is different.

Fat Mike told me a few years ago that for the past number of years, they've kept a list of every song they play in each city, so when they go back there, they can try to play different material, mainly referring to cities that they only hit on Warped Tour. I thought that was totally badass.

Guest genericinsight

I definitely would enjoy different sets. When Strung Out comes around I usually see them in different places a couple days in a row, but they generally change their setlists each night.

When I saw Propagandhi, they played the same set both nights... but it was awesome both nights. So, it all depends.

I remember when Saves The Day came down here (South Florida) last year, I wasn't able to go to the Orlando show the next night. I didn't mind until someone told me they played Stay What You Are in its entirety. The point is you can totally benefit from seeing a band two nights in a row. I have plans to see both Saves The Day and Cursive back to back in a few weeks.

I've seen the Dillinger Escape Plan 2 nights in a row multiple times and they usually don't play the same exact set. the swap out 4 or 5 songs. except on this last tour. Same with Converge. all though if a band has a light show, or visuals you can expect them to play almost the same set every night. Rush does that and so did Neurosis when I saw them 2 nights at the Brooklyn Masonic Temple w/Mastodon.