Details re: the Vinyl Collective Cooperative label

Guest admin1338560633

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one thing that should be mentioned. It is very unlikely that everyone is going to love every single record we put out on the cooperative label. If all goes according to plan, there will be plenty of records that you are excited about to make it worthwhile. And if you end up with something you dont' want, you will have great trade material as the rarest version of each record will surely go out of print.

And about your concern of (insert really shitty band here) being released on vinyl, I think the fact that 110 voters are helping make the decision, this will help weed out the truly terrible stuff.

Glad so many people are interested.

how much money do the 'shareholers' stand to make? if you buy stock, you hope to make money off of whatever it is you're investing in. or are you saying that the leftover money goes back into more vinyl, so that your $60 might actually end up buying 3 or 4 records? 4 records for $60 seems more reasonable...

and how much money are you personally profiting from this? the record will be fully paid for the buy the "shareholders", so you don't stand to lose any money on any of the releases, but you certainly stand to make money from it.

am i to understand that everyone is very excited to buy two records at $30 a pop for which you have 1/110 chance of getting one that you want the most?

maybe the smartest position is to not throw your money away and see which records are actually pressed from this scheme before locking your money in.

I just want to be assured in one way or another that I never end up with a Dance Gavin Dance record, because quite frankly...that shit is garbage.

Your trade list consists of talented artists like Panic!, Fall Out Boy, Franz Ferdinand, Xzibit, Paramore and many, many other crappy bands. Surely you must be joking.

one thing that should be mentioned. It is very unlikely that everyone is going to love every single record we put out on the cooperative label. If all goes according to plan, there will be plenty of records that you are excited about to make it worthwhile. And if you end up with something you dont' want, you will have great trade material as the rarest version of each record will surely go out of print.

And about your concern of (insert really shitty band here) being released on vinyl, I think the fact that 110 voters are helping make the decision, this will help weed out the truly terrible stuff.

Glad so many people are interested.

how much money do the 'shareholers' stand to make? if you buy stock, you hope to make money off of whatever it is you're investing in. or are you saying that the leftover money goes back into more vinyl, so that your $60 might actually end up buying 3 or 4 records? 4 records for $60 seems more reasonable...

and how much money are you personally profiting from this? the record will be fully paid for the buy the "shareholders", so you don't stand to lose any money on any of the releases, but you certainly stand to make money from it.

am i to understand that everyone is very excited to buy two records at $30 a pop for which you have 1/110 chance of getting one that you want the most?

maybe the smartest position is to not throw your money away and see which records are actually pressed from this scheme before locking your money in.

The shareholders don't stand to make any money; their "dividends" are records. If this project fails, we'll get one or two. If this project succeeds, we'll get potentially an infinite amount, because as each record is sold, the money made from it goes into funding the production of the next record.

Also, I think it's none of your business how much money Virgil stands to make. He's running a business. Would you ask your local record store owner how much he makes marking up the records you buy from him?

Just so I know, it's $50-$60 for each release right, it's not a one time thing? That would be amazing if it was.

It's a one-time payment. You buy a share for $50-60 and then you're a part of the label. Your dividend will be a copy of each record released.

Ooh, and then Virgil makes money off of the record sales, just like he always does?

The shareholders don't stand to make any money; their "dividends" are records. If this project fails, we'll get one or two. If this project succeeds, we'll get potentially an infinite amount, because as each record is sold, the money made from it goes into funding the production of the next record.

Also, I think it's none of your business how much money Virgil stands to make. He's running a business. Would you ask your local record store owner how much he makes marking up the records you buy from him?

I disagree with the last statement you made. You'd be completely right if this was a record VC was putting out by itself. No duty whatsoever to tell people what kind of money you're making on something you've released or produced. Here however, the stockholders are the ones paying for everything upfront and assuming all the risk. I think it should be perfectly transparent to the shareholders how much money is being made, especially when they aren't getting a cut.

I'd propose that, at the very least, shareholders should get the option to buy additional copies at absolute bottom dollar cost to either re-sell or for their personal collections or for friends or whathaveyou. The idea of paying for a record to be manufactured, getting 1 free copy, and then having to buy the other colors or additional copies at mailorder prices seems a little crazy to me.

Wow I'm really late to this thread, but I'm in. Glad to see that a lot of my suggestions made it to that giant post saying how many people liked each album. I think Blink 182 - Enema Of The State, He Is Legend - I Am Hollywood, and Attack In Black - Marriage, would be amazing if we could get that pressed. Although Dine Alone records mentioned in a myspace bulletin recently that they were pressing vinyl. They didn't say which albums though.

But back on topic, I'm in for this.

I just want to be assured in one way or another that I never end up with a Dance Gavin Dance record, because quite frankly...that shit is garbage.

Your trade list consists of talented artists like Panic!, Fall Out Boy, Franz Ferdinand, Xzibit, Paramore and many, many other crappy bands. Surely you must be joking.

Says someone who pre-ordered the new Panic record. That on it's own invalidates your argument.

I used to work at Fueled by Ramen, I also have been a Fall Out Boy fan since TTTYG, and I like Paramore and Panic. But the gist of it is, guess how much I paid? The remaining two records were given to me by a friend who worked at Sony and was being shipped garage loads of free cds/records every week, and he just kept giving it all away.

My want list is also riddled with Lily Allen records, so what? 85% of the regular posters regularly spend about 40% of the time on here, talking about really awful bands like Dance Gavin Dance and 311. And that's great, because that is the individual taste in music. But there are just some things that don't belong on vinyl as well as some bands that don't deserve to exist at all.

Here's the bum out, where I come from, music isn't about making money, and in 2008, that seems to be all it's about, and unfortunately the market is flooded with shit bands clouding people's musical taste and preventing anyone from listening to a decent amount of artists that have will or are contributing any sort of relevant music played well and passionately. It is all drum triggers, auto-tune, and an over-production cost. Most music sounds like shit, because most music is shit right now.

I'll take a record that is passionate and means something that was recorded in a garage that is entirely inaudible over dance gavin dance.

Obviously someone slapped the taste outta the mouth of music fans about 8 years ago, get it slapped back in, Please.

The remaining two records were given to me by a friend who worked at Sony and was being shipped garage loads of free cds/records every week, and he just kept giving it all away.

man, you don't owe other people explanations about why you own whatever records. Your point is just as valid if you'd have paid for them.

The remaining two records were given to me by a friend who worked at Sony and was being shipped garage loads of free cds/records every week, and he just kept giving it all away.

man, you don't owe other people explanations about why you own whatever records. Your point is just as valid if you'd have paid for them.

I can't say that I ever really listen to the x-zibit record, but that's the price I pay to get a copy of ill-matic.

Take it back.

I can't. I just don't get it. They make my ears and brain hurt. But I'd still be more pleased with a 311 record than a Dance Gavin Dance record.

Lol. I was just kidding man. Everyone likes their own stuff and that's great. You made some great points in your post. Music means different things to different people...people need to appreciate that.

Dude, I don't understand where this Dance Gavin Dance stuff is even coming from. After doing a search of the past 90 days of threads on all three boards, their name only came up in three threads, one of which was this one. It's kind of a random, obscure band to for whatever reason link to this process, but whatever.