looking like i need a new car

well, my car is on the way out. i cant handle all of these transmission issues. im starting to look at alternatives.

ideally, id like a 4cyl, 5-speed manual.

any suggestions? im currently liking the subaru impreza. what do you guys have good experiences with?

PS- while youre at it, check out my sale thread. im trying to secure some funds. let me know if there is anything youre interested in. i will consider all offers. shit needs to move.

http://vinylcollective.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32222

thanks, guys

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're thinking new, look into Scions. I have a 2006 xB and my g/f is on the verge of getting a 2009 xD. I feel they offer the most bang for their buck in their class. I haven't had any problems yet either.

I was debating between the xB and the Mazda 3 when I bought my car. I went w/ the Scion for a handful of reasons, one being that the Mazda 3 had no way to hook an iPod up to it other than an FM Transmitter, that annoyed me, but I hear they have AUX ports now.

I bought a VW Jetta 2.5 in 2005 when the new body style first came out.

I haven't had any problems with the vehicle in 70,000 miles that were not of my own doing.

I got a lot of upgrades to the sound system, leather interior, rims, etc and it was still just a little over $21,000.

VW Jetta is the best $20,000 car on the market, in my opinion.

If you're thinking new, look into Scions. I have a 2006 xB and my g/f is on the verge of getting a 2009 xD. I feel they offer the most bang for their buck in their class. I haven't had any problems yet either.

I was debating between the xB and the Mazda 3 when I bought my car. I went w/ the Scion for a handful of reasons, one being that the Mazda 3 had no way to hook an iPod up to it other than an FM Transmitter, that annoyed me, but I hear they have AUX ports now.

Scion xb all the way. I have an 08 and its awesome. Never have any problems with it at all. I love that car. Would recommend Scions to anyone. Good cars.

Did you recently graduate school or anything? Toyota offers their tier 1 financing for recent grads and $1,000 off. The cool part about a Scion is that they're the same price no matter what. So you don't have to worry about getting screwed over in negotiations. Also, all new models come with an iPod specific plugin so you can control the iPod through the stereo. I love it!

When I drove a rental Impreza, sans WRX, it was totally completely gutless. I'm sure the gas mileage is good but man was it no fun to drive.

Personally, given my experience with them and their amazing re-sale value, I would look hard at a MINI Cooper. Yep, they are more expensive but they're way nicer (the BMW bloodlines help that), have a nice warranty and no maintenance for the first three years, have the highest re-sale value in their class, are a ton of fun to drive, and look bad ass.

I bet you could get a used one, if you're good with used, for a 14-17K.

I have a 2007 Toyota Corolla S and have put 45,000 since Jan '07 and have not touched it other than rotating/balancing tires, and routine oil & fluids. Oh, its also a manual and I get between 35-40 mpg highway, 25-30 city.

My friend has had a few WRX (wrecked one, then switched up to a STI) and they're sweet, but expensive to buy and upkeep, plus supreme fuel.

Not sure if Scions come in manuals, plus I'm sure all of you have had great experiences with them, but what worried me about getting one, is that they haven't been around that long. BUT they are basically Toyotas, so they should last a while. Civics are good, but the Corolla has more room inside I noticed.