looking like i need a new car

Not sure if Scions come in manuals

My friend has a 2005 tC w/ manual transmission. Not sure about the other models.

Maybe it's just me, but I always found Scions to be somewhat feminine. No offense intended to any guy that owns one, my friend included.

My dad had a tC for a year or so that was also manual. It drove a lot like my RSX, but not quite as much "power" to it even though I think it has more HP.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an 08 Scion XD and I am in love with it. It gets killer gas mileage and has a rad iPod hook up. Like someone said earlier they are a set price so they dealer can't and won't bother to hassle you about the price, etc.

I paid around 15K for mine and recently took an 8 hour road trip and paid $30 in gas one way. Pretty awesome.

I have a 2007 Toyota Corolla S and have put 45,000 since Jan '07 and have not touched it other than rotating/balancing tires, and routine oil & fluids. Oh, its also a manual and I get between 35-40 mpg highway, 25-30 city.

this looks good. im gonna look more into this. thanks

thanks everyone. youre all being really helpful.

You need to figure out a few things. First, what is your budget? Try not to think monthly payment budget, because if you tell a salesman you want to pay $XXX a month they'll play with your financing and stuff and they might meet your monthly budget but you'll be paying on a longer loan. Try to figure out the most you'd like to spend on a car, then find an online interest calculator (there are millions online) and go from there. You'll be able to type in the amount financed and then type in a guestimate interest rate and then the term and they'll tell you what your monthly payment should be. Then you can see what you can afford. But NEVER tell a car salesman how much you're looking to pay monthly, because they can stretch what could have been a 3 year loan into a 4 year loan or a 4 year into a 5 year, etc.

Then you need to figure out what you're looking for in a car? Cargo space, reliability, passanger room/capacity, MPG, fun factor? This will help you narrow your search more and give you a better idea where to start. Back in January I was looking for a new car and decided I wanted something fun to drive, got OK mileage and had good reliability but cost less than $25K. Before I started even going down to dealerships I had the list narrowed down to four suspects: VW GTI, Civic SI, MazdaSpeed 3 and Subaru Impreza WRX. I wound getting a 2008 WRX after going on various test drives, comparing features, etc. For me it was the best fit. For what it's worth the new WRXs (2008/2009) are much more refined as Subaru was going for more mainstream appeal; the interior is much nicer, the suspension is more comfortable (which is a huge gripe if you're into total performance, but great for a DD) and a nice refined engine/trans combo. The clutch is nearly perfect and it shifts beautifully. Plus, Subarus are really reliable. You might hear a lot of hearsay stories about unreliable Subies, but think about their main audience--20 something men that drive them way too fast and beat them to shit. The other cars I drove were also great fun, were very well refined and provided excellent reliability, but the WRX worked the best for me. I would recommend any of those cars.

I'm not necessarily recommending a WRX for you, it might not work for your situation, I'm just walking you through my a small part of my mindset during my car buying process. I highly recommend you figure out your budget and what you'd like to get in a car and then you can narrow your search. That being said, Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Scion XB and Honda Element are four of THE BEST cars you can get for less than $20K brand new if you're looking for reliability, practicality and gas mileage. That Honda Insight looks really nice too if you want a hybrid, prices supposedly start at $19K but I'm betting there are packages that get tacked on to the price and I'm sure most dealerships are charging a premium for them right now.

Anyways, I would consider myself an auto enthusiast plus I work for a car auction so I see many, many cars each day. I see what types of problems seem to be common with different types of vehicles and I've driven nearly any type of car you can imagine (short of most supercars, although I have driven a Ferrari and a Maserati). If you can provide some insight as to what you're looking for I can help make some good recommendations if you like.

kyle, those are all really good points.

im thinking i need to try and keep it below $20,000. i should be able to but a few thousand down.

im also really keen on getting a car that may be a year to four years old. maybe 15-30,000 miles on it.

main needs are reliability and longevity. id like a car that will last me as long as it can. i take pretty good care of my cars. regular tune up, keep up with oil changes, rotate tires and get regular alignments.

id like a 4cyl, manual trans. in all honesty, i dont know how to drive manual yet, but my cousin has offered to show me and my dad has assured me that id get the hang of it in a few hours and then perfect it from there.

itd also be nice to have enough trunk space to fit my 4x10 cabinet, but that really shouldnt be a major setback to getting a smaller, more economical car.

if i wasnt at work i could get into more details, but sporty, smallish sedan is basically what im looking for.

i currently drive a 6cyl, automatic 1997 ford contour. its amazing when it runs well, but the thing is old as the hills. 175,000 miles. itll be sad to see it go

im thinking i need to try and keep it below $20,000. i should be able to but a few thousand down.

im also really keen on getting a car that may be a year to four years old. maybe 15-30,000 miles on it.

main needs are reliability and longevity. id like a car that will last me as long as it can. i take pretty good care of my cars. regular tune up, keep up with oil changes, rotate tires and get regular alignments.

id like a 4cyl, manual trans. in all honesty, i dont know how to drive manual yet, but my cousin has offered to show me and my dad has assured me that id get the hang of it in a few hours and then perfect it from there.

itd also be nice to have enough trunk space to fit my 4x10 cabinet, but that really shouldnt be a major setback to getting a smaller, more economical car.

if i wasnt at work i could get into more details, but sporty, smallish sedan is basically what im looking for.

i currently drive a 6cyl, automatic 1997 ford contour. its amazing when it runs well, but the thing is old as the hills. 175,000 miles. itll be sad to see it go

Very much sounds like a WRX, well the sporty sedan bit because its one of the only sport-sedans I can think of you can get for 20K. I'd be a little gun-shy about buying one used simply because people tend to drive them hard.

Here's another thought. I don't think I'll buy a brand new car again. It was an experience the first time around, but next time I'll buy gently used.

The next car I get will either be an electric, a MINI Clubman, or a BMW. If that turns out to be true I think I'll go used too. Save some money on first and second year depreciation.

Watch out for electrical issues on the VWs. Yea, that Diesal thing gets 58mpg or whatever, but German cars always have stupid wiring, and my uncles 2001 Passat burst into flames a year or two ago with no signs that anything was wrong with it at all.

I'd go Japanese for sure. I'm a fan of Hondas.. had a 1991 Accord last me until forever until I went abroad to London and my brother drove it into the ground somehow. Now I have a 1993 Lexus that's going fine except a leak in a head gasket that I don't really have the funds to deal with. For beating the shit out of this car, it's doing fantastically well.

There are a lot of cars you can get brand new that fall below your budget and meet your needs. I wouldn't totally dismiss a new car if you're willing to spend $20K. Working at a car auction I see people's POS used cars every single day and most people don't take care of them. When it was time for me to buy a car back in January I went with a new car even though I could have picked up something here for dirt cheap.

Your cousin is right, a manual is really easy to drive. You'll pick it up within an hour or two and you'll have it mastered within a day. It's a good skill to learn, definitely get a manual (plus they're cheaper than autos, are cheaper to repair/replace than autos and get better gas mileage). Anyways, with your requirements (reliability, 4cyl, manual, cargo space) you have a LOT of choices. The one thing is you probably can't fit your cab into the back of a coupe but it should be no problem in the back of a sedan. That said, there are tons of sporty sedans and hatch/wagons out there. Here are a few recommendations

Honda Civic sedan- higher end of your budget, great reliability, great mileage, should fit your cab with the back seats folded down, has a sporty look but kinda dull to drive

Honda Fit- lower end of your budget, reliable, great mileage, tons of room since it's a hatch

Toyota Corolla- same thoughts as the Civic except not that sporty in the looks

Toyota Matrix- all the advantages of the Corolla with much more room for your cab plus it's pretty sporty

Scion XB- reliable, great mileage, all the room you could need, fits your budget

Mazda 3 wagon- like all the others this one gets great mileage, is reliable, has all the advantages of a hatch/wagon and they're really sporty. If you want to expand your budget a bit more ($21K new) you can get the Mazdaspeed 3 which is a turbo version with 6 speed manual. That's REALLY cool.

Subaru Impreza hatch- all the advantages of all the other cars but also all wheel drive if that interests you at all. A WRX model will cost you a more but you get much more (turbo and other luxuries). If you can still find a dealer that has an 08 on the lot you can get them super cheap (I got my 08 WRX for $19K in January). An Impreza Sedan should fit the cab with the back seats down.

Those are the ones that I would be focusing my search on if it were me. I would ignore VWs, they're cool but as someone else said their wiring is insane.

• 1 month later...

so i test drove a few cars today, Civic, Corolla S, Impreza and a Scion tC

its really between the Civic, Corolla S and Scion tC at the moment. Im pretty heavily leaning towards the tC if i can get the right financing.

what do you guys think? have any more insight kyle?

the civic was really nice. exceeded my expectations. very smooth ride, nice and quiet. pickup was pretty decent.

Corolla S was also pretty nice. a bit more noise than the civic, but it felt good.

i was actually blown away by the tC. the camry engine really beefs it up. and at $17000 base you really cant beat it, especially since im not a flashy guy, so i dont need any crazy accessories. the only thing that sucks is the lack in fuel economy.

Are Skoda cars on sale in the US? I drive a Skoda Octavia II for two and a have year now, it´s a great car, quite cheap compared to VWs and I never had any problems so far with over 70000 kmage. TDI Diesel engine with 105 HP, with a max speed of 200 km/h. And the trunk is really huge. I highly recommend Skodas...

[image]