Father's day...

Guest kissthesharks

Guest kissthesharks

What are ya'll buying for your dad? My dad is pretty sick, and he can't move around much, so I bought him a nintendo ds and new mario brothers. We spent a lot of time playing nes together so I think he will love it.

Ok after I made this thread I realized some people don't have a great relationship with their dads.

Actually, I fell kind of bad calling him an asshole. He used to be a tremendous one, but I've quit expecting him to be involved/interested in my life. He's gotten a lot nicer in the last couple years it just bugs me that he doesn't pursue a relationship with his granddaughter.

Guest kissthesharks

I don't know your situation, but when my sister had her first baby, my dad was kind of bitter towards the whole issue. A few years later he realized that his granddaughter was the one of the best things that have happened to him.

I call Riley my daughter because she is, for all intents and purposes, but she's not my biological daughter. I've been with her mom since the kid was 8 months old, so I'm the only dad she's ever known. I'm also in the process of adopting her. I wonder if my dad has a problem with the biology issue, because he's superficial like that. My wife and I are having a little boy in September, so I'll see if his outlook changes then. And if it does, I'm not going to let him treat Riley any different than my boy.

Ok after I made this thread I realized some people don't have a great relationship with their dads.

toward the later years after i moved out, i had a great relationship with my dad. we'd always talk during sports games like he was there. It seems every time some crazy sports thing happened (UT winning the rose bowl, reggie miller scoring 8 points in 15 seconds against NY, etc) he was always watching if it was on tv. He retired in the early 90's so he had alot of time to do this. Anyway, i still think of him anytime something big happens in sports.

I had a great relationship with my Dad when I was younger, but we just kind of stopped talking when I got into high school. I don't know if I scared him, being angsty and all, or if I grew intolerant of the man he is.

It's been a year since I've moved out, and I feel we have begun getting closer. We've started talking more, about more than trivial things. I think it's been a mutual change. This is the first father's day that I haven't just signed my name on the card my Mom bought. I actually found something kind of cool to mail to him.

p.s. i'm sorry to hear that your dad is sick. i wish him well.

my pops and i used to have a really strained relationship. i'm talkin' really, really bad arguments with all that comes with bad arguments. but now we're fine, i love hanging out with him. now that i've moved out and am on my own our relationship is much better. i feel thats the way it goes with parents. when i lived at home, my relationship with my parents was fucking awful but ever since i moved away, we grow closer every day. i email and talk with my mom daily. my dad and i talk every week or so. i love it.

I got my step-dad a ton of gift certificates to various places he likes, bought him a new solar pool cover, and a card. He's the dude that really raised me. My dad and I haven't talked in 7 years, but I was honestly considering breaking the silence via phone call today. Hmmm.......dammit.