While Lesnar is still a very raw fighter in many aspects, he does indeed have major amateur wrestling credentials. Prior to being in the WWE, he was a two-time NJCAA All-American, 1998 NJCAA Heavyweight Champion, two-time NCAA All-American, two-time Big Ten Conference Champion, and the 2000 NCAA heavyweight champion with a record of 106–5 overall in four years of college (thanks wikipedia). Fedor would still wipe the floor with him though.

if he has that experience then why doesnt he use it...everyone i was with watching that fight agrees with me that he's not a very good wrestler...unless your definition of wrestling is laying on top of someone...

i've seen people lay on someone for minutes into a fight. how is that different than any other fight in the UFC? he held him down and pummeled him. This happens all the time in UFC fights with or without lesnar. If a opponent can hold and take shots to weaken them on the floor, then it's legal. Weather you think he can fight or not, he still won.

It's like Shaq being considered a crappy basketball player only because of his size and he doesnt do anything more than dunk. Dunk or not he scoreds 24+ a game and when it's all said and done, if it wins games and titles. it wins games. he's only working with what he was born with. Same goes for Lesner. if you think he's unskilled or not. he wins fights. It's not his fault he has a harder punch or can hold someone down who's trying to get loose. If you want to see people strike on their feet watch boxing.

I dont' really care who won the fight. i wanted to see a good fight. Obviously it wasn't. But i'm not gonna sit here and say Lesner is unskilled. I'd personally like to see someone take him on. With or without a dickish attitude

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While Lesnar is still a very raw fighter in many aspects, he does indeed have major amateur wrestling credentials. Prior to being in the WWE, he was a two-time NJCAA All-American, 1998 NJCAA Heavyweight Champion, two-time NCAA All-American, two-time Big Ten Conference Champion, and the 2000 NCAA heavyweight champion with a record of 106–5 overall in four years of college (thanks wikipedia). Fedor would still wipe the floor with him though.

if he has that experience then why doesnt he use it...everyone i was with watching that fight agrees with me that he's not a very good wrestler...unless your definition of wrestling is laying on top of someone...

Because he hasn't faced anyone that forced him to utilize it. He smothers you and forces you to fight against his weight to get free. Yes, it doesn't take much skill to do that, but you can't argue that it isn't effective. And honestly that's what majority of all wrestlers do, but most are lighter and need to be more dynamic as well, like GSP and Guida. Lesnar's immense size affords him that luxury and until someone in comparable size challenges him, I don't see him breaking that status quo.

destroyingthescene. you make a very good point. Actually, i think Carwin's bigger in height but not body mass. But that would be a good match up.. Carwin has more experience in the ring though both on his feet and on the floor. Not too mention that guy could take a punch. Hopefully, we'll find out soon who Lesnar goes up against because the Emelianenko fight won't happen anytime soon. Maybe Cain Velasquez?

I don't know if it's official yet, but I think Carwin is fighting Velasquez and then the winner will fight Lesnar. I'm a big fan of Cain and think he has a huge future, but his striking power will not hold up against either Carwin or Lesnar.

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':r4b0p31y]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':r4b0p31y]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

I don't know if it's official yet, but I think Carwin is fighting Velasquez and then the winner will fight Lesnar. I'm a big fan of Cain and think he has a huge future, but his striking power will not hold up against either Carwin or Lesnar.

Time will tell. Im psyched. I just want to see a good fight, no matter who wins.

To everyone,

i only argue to get peoples perspectives on things and why they dislike someone. I think his attitude is a good reason to not like someone, but saying he's a unskilled and clumsy, or dumb or whatever. Well just ask Mir, Coutore, or Herring how skilled he is. just sayin'.

Pet peeve rant:

I don't understand why being an ex- pro wrestler is grounds for disliking Lesnar. It's just another career. It shouldn't matter if fighters are ex- cops, or ex- soldiers, or ex- actors, or ex- ballerinas. It's what they do in MMA that matters. Lesnar's size, agility, and physique gave him an advantage in his previous career just like it's giving him one now. Lots of pro wrestlers are legitimate good fighters, and there are skills that are transferable, but that's really as far as it goes. Now with Bobby Lashley making his name in MMA as well, I'm sure there'll be more crossover down the road.

I dislike Lesnar because he's a prick, and I like to see a certain amount of respect and sportsmanship in any sport. I hope somebody KOs him sooner or later. Perhaps Lashley would be a good candidate...

He does use his wrestling. He's obviously not going to "pin" the guy, since that won't get you too far in MMA.

He took down Mir basically anytime he wanted to. That's a wrestling skill. He was basically on top of Mir the entire fight. That's using his wrestling.

Most wrestlers use the "ground and pound" technique. Take your opponent down, stay on top and in control, and smash their face with punches and elbows. Guys like Matt Hughes, Tito Ortiz and Randy Couture made careers out of this style.

I can't stand Lesnar. I was rooting for Mir in Saturdays fight, but Mir was totally dominated. His face was a bloody mess. He couldn't get out from under Lesnar, and it wasn't just cause Lesnar is a big guy(Mir's not exactly tiny). It's because Lesnar is a great wrestler.

The best part of this is that people actually hate lesnar because of the character he is portraying. He is doing such a good job of making a character out of himself that people want to see him get beat down, thus making him good for business.

i just don't want to see UFC turn into WWF. if it turns into that then fuck it I wont watch it anymore

Just for everyone talking about size and shit. Remember the Ultimate Fighter (not sure what season), when Rashad Evans beat Brad Imes, who was 8 inches taller and had around 50 pounds on him? Size is an advantage but the bigger guy doesn't always tromp on the smaller guy.

As for Lesnar being a dick, I can see that but he's really come up. He's really proven that he's a pretty legit athlete. Hell 99% of America wouldn't have even made it as far as he did in the Vikings training camp, let alone be an All-American Wrestler and successful MMA fighter.

And yeah, Tito Ortiz is at least as loud and one dimensional skill wise as Lesnar. I've never seen anyone so disrespectful. To straight flip a guy off when he tries to shake your hand, after you've won? That's class. (Though I will admit I have not seen Lesnar's antics from UFC 100)

Just for everyone talking about size and shit. Remember the Ultimate Fighter (not sure what season), when Rashad Evans beat Brad Imes, who was 8 inches taller and had around 50 pounds on him? Size is an advantage but the bigger guy doesn't always tromp on the smaller guy.

As for Lesnar being a dick, I can see that but he's really come up. He's really proven that he's a pretty legit athlete. Hell 99% of America wouldn't have even made it as far as he did in the Vikings training camp, let alone be an All-American Wrestler and successful MMA fighter.

And yeah, Tito Ortiz is at least as loud and one dimensional skill wise as Lesnar. I've never seen anyone so disrespectful. To straight flip a guy off when he tries to shake your hand, after you've won? That's class. (Though I will admit I have not seen Lesnar's antics from UFC 100)

no, he didn't flip off his opponent, he flipped off the crowd, then said some inappropriate things when talking to joe rogan

no, he didn't flip off his opponent, he flipped off the crowd, then said some inappropriate things when talking to joe rogan

To be honest, I'd flip off a UFC crowd too.

Did anyone see the earlier fights? When the PPV started all of us shit a brick at how much blood was on the mat.

Also, to everyone calling Lesner a dick, I think the bigger dick move was Henzo laying one into Bisbing while he was already out and then basically saying he did it on purpose. Like come on, you won, you ko'd him. Shit talking or not, that's unnecessary

Did anyone see the earlier fights? When the PPV started all of us shit a brick at how much blood was on the mat.

Also, to everyone calling Lesner a dick, I think the bigger dick move was Henzo laying one into Bisbing while he was already out and then basically saying he did it on purpose. Like come on, you won, you ko'd him. Shit talking or not, that's unnecessary

bisping had been talking shit for a long time though, through the ultimate fighter, past month or so.

can't blame Henderson for giving him one more lick.

Hendo is gonna keep pounding the guy til the ref steps in. That's what fighters are trained to do. Pretty brutal though. Bisbing did come off as a real jerk leading up to that fight. Both guys have completely different personalities.

That was a pretty big step up in competition for Bisbing. He hasn't really beaten anyone of note besides Chris Leben.

I didn't mind Lesnar flipping off the crowd or refusing to shake Mir's hand before the fight. My problem was that Mir was completely dominated and out classed in the ring. He landed one knee and then spent the rest of the fight on his back with his left hand trapped behind his head and Lesnar just beating his face in. It looked like a heavyweight against a middleweight. Mir had no offense, no chance no nothing, and he knew it. When he went to shake Brock's hand after the beating Brock just yelled at him some more and people had to get between them. That really made me mad. I could understand it if it was a closer fight, or if Mir was more of a dick leading up to it, but I can't get over Brock acting like that.

Also another problem I have with Brock is his freakish size, and the fact that he was in the WWE. Clearly he probably was cycling roids while there, but that shit wears off. What if Brock was taking HGH too? His frame is so freakishly large that I can't rule it out. HGH will stay with him, and even if he's clean now that's an advantage. I grew up loving wrestling, and still watch it from time to time, but I wouldn't mind if Dana barred all future WWE stars from the UFC. The playing field did not look equal on Saturday and that bothers me.

Apparently Dana White is going after Fedor the day his Affliction contract is up (which I believe is in a few months) with a blank check to get him in the octogon with Lesnar. That could be the best fight ever as far as UFC. I think Fedor is really the only guy in the world who could take Lesnar down right now.

Apparently Dana White is going after Fedor the day his Affliction contract is up (which I believe is in a few months) with a blank check to get him in the octogon with Lesnar. That could be the best fight ever as far as UFC. I think Fedor is really the only guy in the world who could take Lesnar down right now.

he better be rolling with some contracts for his sambo buddies too.