Anyone know anyone in Pyramid schemes?

i had some hot chic talk to me about those herbal supplements and crap and how she was gonna be making money soon, etc.. and how her initial investment would eventually pay off. i humored her because well.... she was hot and i was drunk...the next day i sobered up and threw away the card.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cutco knives are quite good, actually.

you guys are right on, the knives and stuff are top quality....just really expensive.

Not trying to divert the subject of the thread but the CutCo knives really aren't that great. High quality, commercial grade knives are expensive, as much as the CutCo knives or even more. However, CutCo are not commercial grade quality at all. You can get much better knives for the same price or even less sometimes. They might be fine for household use by people that like cooking, but people who take it more seriously than that (enthusiast/amatuer chefs up to professionals) know that you can do much better for the price.

But most people buy knives for home cooking. I would say CutCo are better than most knives people buy for home use. Not sure about how pricey there are compared to other knives though.

But my point is for the same price, or less, you can get excellent, top of the line knives used by professional chefs all over the world. Higher quality knives made out of forged steel that you can sharpen yourself (CutCos have to be sent back to the factory to be sharpened). CutCo is able to sell their knives for so much because the people buying them usually have some sort of relationship with the salesperson and those buying them don't know anything about knives other than what they are being told. There's a reason you can't buy CutCo knives in stores. If you could, they wouldn't sell for nearly the price that they do.

I guess my point is this... you wouldn't buy a Civic over a Porsche if they were the same price. You can do much better than CutCo and it won't cost you any more.

i had a buddy that used to sell those knives - CutCo i think. apparently at the first meeting they would have a "contest" to see who could write down the most names on a sheet of paper, anyone you have ever known......then they would ask you to call them and sell knives.

it was really only a ploy to work on the sympathy of family members - "oh, cousin sandy is selling something, i better order a 65$ potato masher"

once you exhausted/annoyed everyone in the family, you basically ran out of sales leads and your career as a traveling knife salesman was short lived..... (remember, handle first...handle first)

I think a class in the professional sales sequence at my school does a project selling cutco knives to family members. weird.

The Washington Post article was full of so many red flags about how these companies toy with the ignorant/uneducated. $49.99 a month for hosting a website; $49.99 for VOIP phone service; Endless fees and travel expenses paid to the company that offer nothing but empty promises. I wish the FTC would spend more time exploring this legal gray area, particularly in the ratios of revenue generated from actual retail sales to revenue generated from sellers/members. A former barber at my barbershop got involved in one of these (in PG county, Maryland no less - the locale of the WaPo article) and it buried him with debt.

The Washington Post article was full of so many red flags about how these companies toy with the ignorant/uneducated. $49.99 a month for hosting a website; $49.99 for VOIP phone service; Endless fees and travel expenses paid to the company that offer nothing but empty promises. I wish the FTC would spend more time exploring this legal gray area, particularly in the ratios of revenue generated from actual retail sales to revenue generated from sellers/members. A former barber at my barbershop got involved in one of these (in PG county, Maryland no less - the locale of the WaPo article) and it buried him with debt.

These are stupid, but where do you draw the line as far as what the government should be getting involved with?

We're not talking about Nigerian scams or fake paving/roofing jobs here. Someone has to be making money at this shit somewhere, and there are plenty of bad "legitimate" business opportunities that people throw their money at and lose their asses.

If someone is silly enough to sink their lives into this, it's their own damn fault.

I know a guy who got into that CutCo bullshit. It's not a pyramid scheme, it's just a shady company that uses college kids to peddle their overpriced garbage to friends and family. It's really sad. Unfortunately for me and my dad, who really enjoy cooking and could use a good set of knives, we're stuck with a shitty set of CutCo knives because mom felt too bad to tell the kid that she didn't want a $300 set of overpriced knives.

i came home from work one day and my parents were watching a 'demonstration' for these things from some girl my sister went to school with. they would up purchasing a bunch of crap. however, they didn't buy the $85 scissors for me to cut pennies, because apparently even though they're guaranteed forever, they don't guarantee against me losing them. bummer.

what's your counter?

Not sure...I really don't know how to say anything about that. But I did post: Do you want to be a windsock or sailboat? Windsocks can tell you the up to the minute trends, but a sail boat uses long term patterns to actually create movement. Also, T-Pain never sang "I'm on a windsock".

But that's just to his dumb business shit

These are stupid, but where do you draw the line as far as what the government should be getting involved with?

We're not talking about Nigerian scams or fake paving/roofing jobs here. Someone has to be making money at this shit somewhere, and there are plenty of bad "legitimate" business opportunities that people throw their money at and lose their asses.

If someone is silly enough to sink their lives into this, it's their own damn fault.

I tend to think the same way, but when they bury themselves in debt, lose their house, and end up on the street somewhere, who ends up supporting them? The government. So either preempt it, or deal with the results. Which is worse? I dunno. It's probably more costly to combat these companies than clean up after them.

I tend to think the same way, but when they bury themselves in debt, lose their house, and end up on the street somewhere, who ends up supporting them? The government. So either preempt it, or deal with the results. Which is worse? I dunno. It's probably more costly to combat these companies than clean up after them.

I think you're mixing metaphors, so to speak. The people who get involved in these pyramids scheme deals are middle class, not low income. You need to have money to get involved. So they usually have people they can borrow from, live with, etc. When the scheme doesn't work out they just borrow from someone new, etc. They don't suckle at the government teet. I think if this caused massed bankruptcy the government would be more likely to deal with it.

They did put Enzyte out of business quickly.

Kirby - I know I liked the HENCKELS pairing knife set a roommate had. They're supposed to be pretty damn good and they have a few lines with different prices.

Henckels are awesome. I have the Pro-S version of a 6", 8", and paring knife, which are pretty expensive (wedding presents). But lesser models are cheaper and probably just as good.

Henckles are a good knife. Wusthof are also good.

I'm a kitchen gourmet and love to cook and entertain. Knife sets are great, but given the expense of them are a luxury most can't afford. I've found also that they're a convenient way to sell knives that aren't generally necessary for the average user.

I got a cheap set and sort of studied the knives I use and what I use them for. I noticed that there were a couple from the set that I barely touched at all and that a couple were indespensible for me.

Rather than blow several hundred dollars on two knives I'd use and a bunch of others that would essentially just sit in the block, I just bought two high quality knives individually that I use daily and bought a good set of steak knives with what I would have spend on the whole set.

A good set of pots and pans, on the other hand, is not something to skimp on. A friend of mine worked at William Sonoma and I had him buy me my set of All-Clad at his employee price. I saved several hundred dollars. The pots are fantastic.

Kirby - I know I liked the HENCKELS pairing knife set a roommate had. They're supposed to be pretty damn good and they have a few lines with different prices.

Henckels are awesome. I have the Pro-S version of a 6", 8", and paring knife, which are pretty expensive (wedding presents). But lesser models are cheaper and probably just as good.

Henckels are all over my registry. I'm praying to get at least some of them or doubles I can trade in for them.

These are my babies:

http://www.surlatable.com/product/id/125105.do?mr:trackingCode=AE42447E-3C76-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

Wusthof Le Cordon Bleu 8" Chef's Knife

http://www.surlatable.com/product/id/125102.do?mr:trackingCode=AD42447E-3C76-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

Wusthof Le Cordon Bleu Parer

And to stay on thread topic...pyramid scheme.