The worst part about collecting vinyl for you

When brand new records have a ton of surface noise, it drives me crazy. Like my copy of the new American Steel. I wonder how that happens. I need a Nitty Gritty or something.

I also hate it when a record doesn't sound good at all but the digital download sounds great.

really!? that's awesome (for me) because I got into an argument with Ryan (from American Steel) over the mastering of the Olehole LP. He thought Bill did a bad job and thought the LP sounded terrible compared to the CD...so i take a small bit of pleasure knowing that their LP sounds bad. I hope he used the guy he wanted me to use.

No, that's not what I was saying about their record. I was simply stating that it has a lot of surface noise for some odd reason. It's very scratchy between tracks. Nothing to do with the recording at all.

I did recently play the digital versions back to back and Destroy Their Future sounded way better. I didn't compare the LPs though.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

really!? that's awesome (for me) because I got into an argument with Ryan (from American Steel) over the mastering of the Olehole LP. He thought Bill did a bad job and thought the LP sounded terrible compared to the CD...so i take a small bit of pleasure knowing that their LP sounds bad. I hope he used the guy he wanted me to use.

No, that's not what I was saying about their record. I was simply stating that it has a lot of surface noise for some odd reason. It's very scratchy between tracks. Nothing to do with the recording at all.

I did recently play the digital versions back to back and Destroy Their Future sounded way better. I didn't compare the LPs though.

I know what you're saying, i just get a small bit of satisfaction knowing that they had a iffy sounding test press approved

I know what you're saying, i just get a small bit of satisfaction knowing that they had a iffy sounding test press approved

Oh ok. I'm assuming it's an anomaly but you'd know better than me.

Oh ok. I'm assuming it's an anomaly but you'd know better than me.

I'm certainly no authority, but sometimes a test press is kinda on the edge and doesn't necessarily sound amazing, but could be rejected...then doesn't I've only rejected 2 test presses though and both were minor things on one side of each of the two records...and one was deemed/assumed a scratch during shipment and the other was a plant error.

People who sell used records, state " I KNOW WHAT THESE ARE WORTH," and don't give a set price. Fuck you.

Things that guarantee me not looking at a sale thread:

1) "I KNOW WHAT THESE ARE WORTH"

2) "NO LOWBALLING"

3) "SUPER RARE VARIANT, TEST PRESS, ETC..."

4) "EBAY"

Things that guarantee my interest in a sale thread:

1) "SET SALE"

Portability.

I like to listen to music all around the house, but with records, I'm stuck in the basement.

Fragility.

If you make one mistake, the record can be ruined.

Lack/expense of record needles.

Sometimes the needles cost more than the record player.

Victory Records.

Enough said.

International shipping costs & 80% of ebay sellers who haven't got a fuckin' clue how to grade a record correctly >:(

The amount of times i've bought on ebay from seller's who grades a record as EX to find out when it arrives on your doorstep its a VG copy at best and the cover looks like its been chewed by their cat and shat on by their dog !!!!

Portability.

I like to listen to music all around the house, but with records, I'm stuck in the basement.

Fragility.

If you make one mistake, the record can be ruined.

Lack/expense of record needles.

Sometimes the needles cost more than the record player.

Victory Records.

Enough said.

ha

Most everything has been said already (room [i’m out of it], inconvenience of the format [i’m famous for buying records and not listening to them], etc.), but the one thing that's been bugging me lately is this trend toward intentional scarcity. I'm all for limited versions & limited editions and all, but I don't understand why it seems like everything has to go out of print immediately these days. Maybe it's ultimately a wise move since there are so many more bands and labels around now, but either way it's definitely something kids have come to expect. When Forge Again + 10 did the HWC double LP, there were people out there who thought we had fucked up because it was actually still in print a year later. It’s like, we could have pressed 300 instead of 600 and charged $5 more a piece and blown them all out the door in a week, but that really wasn’t the point.