help me with a decision i have to make

Does anyone have a job they don't like, or didn't set out to do? Like you got a degree in a certain field, couldn't find a job or career in that line of work, and now youre doing another line of work totally different from your original intent. How is it working out for you?

I'm in a situation where for a year i couldn't find a job with my degree (communications). Now I'm taking prerequisites to get into a masters program for occupational therapy. The field pays really well and there's absolutely no shortage of jobs for an occupational therapist, but i'm not sure if my heart is 100% into it.

I've gotten half the prerequisites so far, but lately i've been feeling like it's not what i set out to do in life, and can i really live with doing it? I feel like once i know my stuff, i can do the job of an OT, but will i be okay with doing it for the rest of my life?

So it's either continue with going to school or stop going to school and struggle to find a job.

Any advice? Suggestions? This is truly tough for me so any advice or ideas would be very helpful to me.

maybe because you spelled your degree field wrong? it's communication, not communications. in my senior seminar my teacher killed some kids for spelling it wrong on their resumes. she threatened to recommend they not receive their degrees because they continued to add the 's'.

and i'm not trying to be a dick and point out your spelling mistake. if you put communications down on your resume and/or applications they might immediately throw it out because of that spelling oversight.

hey enjoyadrian,

i heard south korea is open for foreigner export who have a good score and good portfolio.

you should try to apply in any job at there.

i also interesting for working aboard but i only expect for working in a field of what i finished b.a.

just try it.

for me, have a job is better than jobless or living as freelancer....

maybe because you spelled your degree field wrong? it's communication, not communications. in my senior seminar my teacher killed some kids for spelling it wrong on their resumes. she threatened to recommend they not receive their degrees because they continued to add the 's'.

and i'm not trying to be a dick and point out your spelling mistake. if you put communications down on your resume and/or applications they might immediately throw it out because of that spelling oversight.

at my school, it was 'communications'

http://www.etown.edu/Catalog.aspx?topic=Communications+-+Majors+-+Communications

I also majored in the same thing. So I feel your pain. I was not pro-active when looking for a job in my field once I got out of school. It had a lot to do w/ the full-time job I was holding down during my last year of college in order to pay tuition and loans.

At this point in my life, I'm 34 and working in a field (Insurance) that has nothing to do w/ what I majored in. I like my job for the most part. Just like any job, you have your bad days and good days. Regardless of you loving what you do. That's my opinion.

BUT...I'm also at the point that I can't really afford to change careers or go back to school. My current financial situation does not allow it.

At the end of the day, you have to follow your heart and do what you feel is best for you and will be for you in the long run. If you're not happy now, there is no indication that things will change and make you happy later.

I also majored in the same thing. So I feel your pain. I was not pro-active when looking for a job in my field once I got out of school. It had a lot to do w/ the full-time job I was holding down during my last year of college in order to pay tuition and loans.

At this point in my life, I'm 34 and working in a field (Insurance) that has nothing to do w/ what I majored in. I like my job for the most part. Just like any job, you have your bad days and good days. Regardless of you loving what you do. That's my opinion.

BUT...I'm also at the point that I can't really afford to change careers or go back to school. My current financial situation does not allow it.

At the end of the day, you have to follow your heart and do what you feel is best for you and will be for you in the long run. If you're not happy now, there is no indication that things will change and make you happy later.

Have you considered law school?

Having a Communication degree in addition to a JD opens up a whole new realm of the legal field, especially if you have any Pol. Sci. on your transcript.

My soon to be ex-wife has this exact combination of education and has found it to be advantageous.

you could do what i do

job #1 thats bearable enough, but allows me to make rent & have insurance (not to mention hire all my friends to work for me)

and

job #2 where i get to put out records for some of my favorite bands, tour on vacations, and convince myself im not wasting my life behind a desk for nothing

This is the reason I'm not ready to go to school. I'm almost done with a degree in Computer Networking and Security, but I'm pretty sure it's not what I want to do. I have been told to just finish it, because it's possible to do pretty much anything so long as I have a degree. I know it is possible, but it's hard in these times. I still don't know what to do, but thankfully I guess I'm still young (23) so have time to think about it. I guess I'll be wasting $5k this semester taking classes I don't want or need because my parents think I need to be back in school now.

I say go with your heart, because there is nothing worse then knowing you're unhappy and not being able to do much about it.

you could do what i do

job #1 thats bearable enough, but allows me to make rent & have insurance (not to mention hire all my friends to work for me)

and

job #2 where i get to put out records for some of my favorite bands, tour on vacations, and convince myself im not wasting my life behind a desk for nothing

I'm leaning towards this. I tried the whole "do what you love" thing, and sadly it just didnt work. I figure in the future if i want to go back to trying to get something with my original degree, i will have this safety net.

Thanks to every who replied and shared their thoughts and experiences. I really appreciate it.

By the end of high school I hated the place and couldn't imagine going to university. But then I found a course in sound engineering and took that. It was 12 months and I loved it but once I finished I couldn't get consistent work. A lot was volunteering or shitty pay for mostly labour work. Three years later, I'm a Legal PA. It's alright for the moment but I know I don't want to do it the rest of my life. I'd like to get back into the music industry eventually. So I say, if there's something you really want to do, you'll get there eventually. You always need an alternative so give something that you can bear for awhile a shot and see where it takes you

you could do what i do

and

It's like looking into a mirror...

Communication(s) Major = Server Admin... I hate computers.