Where the Wild Things Are

coldsnap

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have been stoked for this about 20 years ago, but now I think people are just capitalizing on our generation's obsession with nostalgia.

our generation's obsession with nostalgia? come on, how can you even quantify that? the book was written in the 60's, its been read and is being read too far more than just "our" generation, so its not being made to capitalize on "our" generation...

I would have been stoked for this about 20 years ago, but now I think people are just capitalizing on our generation's obsession with nostalgia.

our generation's obsession with nostalgia? come on, how can you even quantify that? the book was written in the 60's, its been read and is being read too far more than just "our" generation, so its not being made to capitalize on "our" generation...

Yeah, the book came out in 1963.

It's funny that 20 somethings feel like the book is exclusive to "our generation". John is not the first person in his 20's I have heard say that.

I personally thought they humanized the monsters way too early on. I think they should have been a bit more "wild" and I never really knew the names of the monsters and I just thought the names they gave them took any fearsomeness they had and threw it out the window. Just some small things but they kind of ruined it in my mind.

Was just reading an interview from Newsweek with Maurice Sendak, and I found his answer to this question pretty interesting.

Newsweek: "What do you say to parents who think the Wild Things film may be too scary?"

Sendak: "I would tell them to go to hell. That's a question I will not tolerate."

Newsweek: "Because kids can handle it?"

Sendak: "If they can't handle it, go home. Or wet your pants. Do whatever you like. But it's not a question that can be answered."

Sendak: "This concentration on kids being scared, as though we as adults can't be scared. Of course we're scared. I'm scared of watching a TV show about vampires. I can't fall asleep. It never stops. We're grown-ups; we know better, but we're afraid."

Newsweek: "Why is that important in art?"

Sendak: "Because it's truth. You don't want to do something that's all terrifying. I saw the most horrendous movies that were unfit for child's eyes. So what? I managed to survive."