How many records is too many?

idlehero

you just have to not get snowballed into the hype of a release of something. I use to be like that, and ended up with records I realized i would never reach for and put on to enjoy. So now when i buy a record, i ask myself if i see myself reaching out for it in 5 years wanting to listen to it. If so, then i'll buy it. You can never have too many of those kind of records.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha yes. Who are you??

Also here is part 1 of Vinyl, and this Youtube guys has all the parts numbered...enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BjBg_Q52jw&feature=related

1. Thank you for the link.

2. Surprised to see so many collectors smoking around the records.

3. I need to take a good hard look at myself in the mirror after this.

I think you can never have enough records ;D

I've been collecting records for the last 20+ years and have about 2,000 or so records in my collection which i feel is still not enough ;)

I suppose it all depends on everyone's own circumstances as "how many records are too many" but for me ....the more the better, until i'm skint then i'll flog the lot :D

I don't think you can have too much, unless its 50+ copies of one album.

Thats right 49 and under and your in the clear of "too much".

Haha, there was no significance in the number 50, just an exaggeration to make a point. I don't really collect variants only for a few bands, but that is more about my obsession for the band rather than the record.

I was just trying to get across that the more records the better, but i don't think variants are a necessity.

I think you can never have enough records ;D

I've been collecting records for the last 20+ years and have about 2,000 or so records in my collection which i feel is still not enough ;)

I suppose it all depends on everyone's own circumstances as "how many records are too many" but for me ....the more the better, until i'm skint then i'll flog the lot :D

I want a whole library so i can be the annoying dad who forces his kids to listen to his music. "When i was your age this is what i was listening to... now this is real music" haha.

Its like something similar to what Jimmy Carr said, we collect all this stuff for years and years just for our kids to throw them away when we're dead.

I have been trying to keep my number to around 1000. I havent updated my list in a few months and it looks like im at 1160 now. Hopefully tomorrow i can do some work on my list and get organized.

I go through my list ever couple months and pull shit out i havent listened too in ages or dont care for anymore and sell them.

I still have a couple hundred records my parents gave me that i know i wont listen to but its hard to get rid of em because they were passed down from family.

also on the subject of having multiple copies of 1 record, I really don't have doubles of anything. Maybe 5 or 6 records, and probably because I got them uber cheap. I don't collect any variation of colors or anything like that. I noticed I've slowed down lately due to lack of space to store them. I think I may have finally reached my "too many" mark.

I know it's okay to ask my girlfriend that question

My girl, she don't mind – as she puts it, it is more for her to listen to. She'll even alert me to albums she thinks I might be interested in on ebay or at a store! (Yep, she's the best). She doen't pretend to understand my excitement when I geek-out, but she does get happy when I freak out when I get a record or when I demo new equipment. It's actually kinda cute…

To answer the thread's question: There is never enough. There is always an album to find, and artist to discover. Just buy shelves as I need 'em.

I got to a point where every shelf is full to overflowing, there's LPs stacked on the floor and even the attic has them in, so 6000 or so maybe too many, but I couldn't bare to sell any, like others have said, you never know when you might wanna listen to a particular one. I have too many in a pile unplayed though, but that's addiction for you...

i've hit three full 2x2 expedits of LPs and 20 plastic totes of 7"s, which i still don't think is a whole lot. i've considered selling off everything and buying a new car or something, but then i debate with myself on what i would want to keep and i end up just wanting to hang onto 99% of what i already have.

and yea, it really doesn't matter what you think is enough. if you have a live-in girlfriend she will let you know, many times.

Guest drahtuos

no such thing as too many really but holding onto those impulse purchases isn't the best idea. i finally learned to let go of the things that aint important (read: crucial) to me anymore. sometimes it feels just as good to slim down and refine a collection as it does to bulk up and expand a collection.