Going to shows alone?

tonyregret

How does everyone feel about this? While I share similar music tastes with most of my friends, it's hard to get them to go out and see bands unless someone they're really into it playing. I've had to go to a couple shows solo on account of this, and while initially it was weird, once the bands begin all that goes away. Was just wondering if anyone is in the same boat and how they feel about this.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost always go to shows alone and sort of always have.

I love it.

seriously, no drama from anyone, you can enjoy the show...I prefer it more often than not because if it's a band I really want to see, I don't want to have small talk discussions during their set I want to watch them play and that to me is way more enjoyable. I actually made a lot of friends doing this over the years because I was the weird quiet kid at every show.

I go to shows alone 95% of the time. If I didn't I'd have missed out on some of the best nights of my life.

I mean yeah, sometimes it sucks. Especially if the crowd is snooty or assholish. I'm pretty socially awkward but I am typically more sociable when I'm at shows (I'm usually in high spirits) and it's so irritating when you try and strike up a conversation with random people only to have them act like you're causing a mortal sin by being friendly.

If I have no one to talk to between sets, I just text/IM people or bring a book to read.

last couple years, i always going to the show with my girlfriend but it seems she doesn't into music like me any more. hahaha.

well, i met a good people who i ever saw the show together such frank and jess7286.

that's awesome experience.

i hope i will get a chance to hang out with some of you guys on the show again....

:)

i realized how personal music is to me around 16 or 17...at that time I didn't go to shows alone b/c the majority of shows happened in my hometown, being a small town, made it impossible to be "alone" at a show. however, I realized my first warped tour ('99 or '00 can't remember) that I was by myself most of the day and I didn't give a fuck. since then, if people are into, sure, come along, let's fuckin' rock out, if not, fuck off, I don't need you to have a blast and enjoy the hell out of a live show. I've driven 5+ hours for a show, by myself multiple times...once passing out in the middle of a show, only to wake up still standing as the crowd had kind of held me up. I don't much think about it anymore. Drove myself to Atlanta to watch Radiohead from the pit, my friend that I met there drove down from Blacksburg, Virginia to watch the same show with me that night. Seen Radiohead; Kylesa, Modern Life Is War, Some Girls, Converge; Thrice, Coheed & Cambria, Thursday; Gaslight Anthem, American Steel, O Pioneers!; Fake Problems, Look Mexico; Thursday, Coheed & Cambria, Haste; Against Me!; Mars Volta; Maylene & The Sons of Disaster; Lucero; ect, ect, ect...

when I go to a show, I'm there to watch a band put their heart and soul into a live performance, I'm not there for fucking social hour, or to get ripped with my friends. any show I go to with friends I end up right up front screaming along by myself anyways...I know i'm getting old, and I'm lame; but seriously, fuck all the kids who think it's cool to look un-interested, or to not care at a fucking rock show...whatever band that's performing drove from however far away for fucking peanuts and a few beers to play their fucking asses off, enjoy the fucking show, and help the band enjoy their art.

edit -- ::steps down off of his stupid soap box...::

Guest kissthesharks
i realized how personal music is to me around 16 or 17...at that time I didn't go to shows alone b/c the majority of shows happened in my hometown, being a small town, made it impossible to be "alone" at a show. however, I realized my first warped tour ('99 or '00 can't remember) that I was by myself most of the day and I didn't give a fuck. since then, if people are into, sure, come along, let's fuckin' rock out, if not, fuck off, I don't need you to have a blast and enjoy the hell out of a live show. I've driven 5+ hours for a show, by myself multiple times...once passing out in the middle of a show, only to wake up still standing as the crowd had kind of held me up. I don't much think about it anymore. Drove myself to Atlanta to watch Radiohead from the pit, my friend that I met there drove down from Blacksburg, Virginia to watch the same show with me that night. Seen Radiohead; Kylesa, Modern Life Is War, Some Girls, Converge; Thrice, Coheed & Cambria, Thursday; Gaslight Anthem, American Steel, O Pioneers!; Fake Problems, Look Mexico; Thursday, Coheed & Cambria, Haste; Against Me!; Mars Volta; Maylene & The Sons of Disaster; Lucero; ect, ect, ect...

when I go to a show, I'm there to watch a band put their heart and soul into a live performance, I'm not there for fucking social hour, or to get ripped with my friends. any show I go to with friends I end up right up front screaming along by myself anyways...I know i'm getting old, and I'm lame; but seriously, fuck all the kids who think it's cool to look un-interested, or to not care at a fucking rock show...whatever band that's performing drove from however far away for fucking peanuts and a few beers to play their fucking asses off, enjoy the fucking show, and help the band enjoy their art.

This makes me feel better about driving 5 hours to see a show alone. I guess I never really thought about it that way. +1