(band) tattoos

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when i was 18 i almost got the murphy's mural and a against me tat. so glad i decided against that, since both have gone way down hill the last 5 years. i still am thinking of getting the strike anywhere arrows on my arm, but haven't decided for sure yet. at least with that, if the band goes to shit and is overly comercialized, it still looks cool.

i like the six month waiting period, it works out well.

but I have an Alk3 tattoo and an ETID tattoo. Why? Well, mostly because they both represent long periods of my life (4 years or more) where I was either obsessed with the band or they were my soundtrack for the memories from that period. I'm OK with it.

Guest genericinsight
i like the six month waiting period, it works out well.

but I have an Alk3 tattoo and an ETID tattoo. Why? Well, mostly because they both represent long periods of my life (4 years or more) where I was either obsessed with the band or they were my soundtrack for the memories from that period. I'm OK with it.

I think this should be the main reason for getting a band related tattoo. I think the whole "band has gone downhill/put out a bad album" side is kind of irrelevant. I mean, I understand people's thoughts behind it, but to me, if a band means a lot to you/has meant a lot to you, especially for a certain number of years, it shouldn't really matter. Strung Out (using them as an example for me) released not one but two records I wasn't terribly crazy about, but that hasn't changed the impact they've had on me over the years. Any band-related tattoo I get has to absolutely mean something to me.

the Gaslight idea I have is a boombox with the lyrics "I carry these songs like a comfort" (okay slightly modified lyric) around it. My reason? Because not only does that line reflect my feelings about music as a whole, but it's also from the song the band gave me for the comp I released for my radio show. I.e., my first recorded contribution to the music scene that I've loved for so long. It means something to me on two different levels. but again, I'm waiting it out to see if I still actually want to go through with it, because even with bands that mean a lot to me, I have ideas that come and go for tattoos.

Guest genericinsight

With the exception of one, all my tattoos are more or less music based (though some, again, work on other levels). My only non music one is a tattoo of a Kurt Halsey drawing... something I know is pretty typical/cliche (especially for girls). But this was a drawing that I saw and has a lot of personal meaning behind it to me, and I wanted it for a good three years before I actually got it done.

Guest genericinsight
i want music tattoos in the sense of artwork from the band or lyrics from a song......not simply the bands logo, that way it means more than just the band in case they decide to become a nazi-punk band and im fucked for life

I understand your point (though I think the nazi-punk thing is a little extreme), but I don't know... I always thought of a band's logo as artwork in a sense. Unless you're talking about specifically album art.

I'm a big fan of taking lyrics/themes/imagery from songs and putting them into a tattoo design.

when i was 18 i almost got the murphy's mural and a against me tat. so glad i decided against that, since both have gone way down hill the last 5 years. i still am thinking of getting the strike anywhere arrows on my arm, but haven't decided for sure yet. at least with that, if the band goes to shit and is overly comercialized, it still looks cool.

I've been thinking about getting the arrows as well.

i want music tattoos in the sense of artwork from the band or lyrics from a song......not simply the bands logo, that way it means more than just the band in case they decide to become a nazi-punk band and im fucked for life

I understand your point (though I think the nazi-punk thing is a little extreme), but I don't know... I always thought of a band's logo as artwork in a sense. Unless you're talking about specifically album art.

I'm a big fan of taking lyrics/themes/imagery from songs and putting them into a tattoo design.

yeah, that was a hyperbole in all senses of the word....i dont imagine any band i want to get tatooed on me getting to the point where i wouldnt want their name on me

i dont know, i have ideas of lyrics mixed into other art that doesnt really come from the band.....i just dont like the straightout logo approach but thats just me, i see no problem with it

I want to get a tattoo of a gramophone. I currently have no ink.

Originally it was going to be the gramoplane from In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, which is basically my favorite all-time album, a cool image, and I'm reasonably certain they aren't coming back as a nazi-punk band.

Instead I want to get this :

[image]

I just need it re-drawn for a better perspective. I just need to find someone good to do it. I thought about getting it done by Sam Wolf, who used to be in Kenmore Square and is in Detroit now.

Ugh, I hate when people refer to the Antifacist Circle as the "Strike Anywhere arrows." It's not their logo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifascist_Circle

Yeah, that's why I've liked the idea of getting it. Because it serves two-fold. I like Strike Anywhere quite a bit and I don't really like fascism so it works both ways.

I mean, its good to have some solid reasoning behind getting band tattoos, otherwise you wind up getting stupid shit like an MXPX tattoo in high school (as mentioned before).

I don't really have a great picture of it, but I have an mxpx tattoo that i didn't get during high school. It's probably my favorite tattoo. I'm sure this is absolutely retarded to some, but mxpx has been my favorite band since I was 15 and despite mediocre albums I still love them. No regrets.

[image]

there you can kinda see it. The banners say "Tomorrow's Another Day."

[image]

That one is some man alive lyrics. I really dig the lyrics and those guys are good friends of mine.

Guest baseball

I've got one band tattoo and probably will only ever have one.

I've got a Social D tattoo on my leg. I heard the live version of "Story of My Life" on the radio about 10 years ago and that was it for me.

That, and Jersey's Best Dancers. How I got here :).

I want the Lawrence Arms flying hourglass:

[image]

Time flies!

My ex-girlfriend had that on her back. It was HUGE. It's funny, because looking at her, you never in a million years would've guessed she'd even have a tattoo, let alone be a Lawrence Arms fan.

I liked her, but her vagina always smelled bad so we broke up.