(band) tattoos

This was starting to get discussed in a thread on the vinyl part of the board, thought I'd bring it over here.

I have a Ramones themed tattoo. I made a few changes to it (banner reads "Listen to my heart" from a ramones song, purple heart in the middle for my grandfather, and the eagle is holding a music note and a paint brush, for my 2 loves) done by Tegan.

[image][image]

and not a band tattoo, but just finished the front of my leg:

[image]

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest conoley

I've got a Weakerthans' lyric on my leg - "Somewhere love and justice shine."

It's from the song Confessions of a Futon Revolutionist. Amazing song. I saw them play a tiny bar on campus a few years ago and before the show I asked John if they'd play it. He said he wasn't sure, so I showed him the tattoo. I was front row when they were on and he looked right into my eyes and smiled as he sung that lyric. Felt really good.

Benchwarmer.....

where do you go to get tattooed? All my good ones are done by Jason Loui who works at Good Faith II Tattoo http://myspace.com/goodfaithii in Brookline, Mass. I really like the leg piece you got, how was the swelling on that puppy?

ah that's awesome. a good friend of mine is getting a sleeve by Jason right now. I went to lightwave tattoo on RT 1 in Saugus, MA. My artist is Tegan (www.teganink.com). She just moved to Orlando though, and is working at hart and huntington there. She keeps coming back up to finish everyone's stuff though. She'll be back up again for the Boston Tattoo convention. love your back piece, good faith is probably the next shop I'll go to.... and thanks, i love my leg as well, she just needs to go back in and fill in the space between the front and back. the back of my leg was so sore after getting it done, getting the front done was like a walk in the park

[image]

It's a New Amsterdams album. It's Latin (and translates into Spanish as well) meaning "For All Life" (it's kind of easy to figure out). That album is strange because it holds a really weird place in my life, as far as the time I was listening to it most goes. I got the banner and large roses about a year and a half before adding the rest, and ther's more to add because it's kind of unbalanced right now. I have multiple nautical tattoos because my dad's family were Swedish sailors...and vikings.

I've always thought about getting a band tattoo like a logo but then I'm worried I might not like the band then years down the line. I had a friend who got an MXPX tattoo in high school then turned into the most hardcore metal guy on the planet. I'd much rather get a lyric than just a straight logo.

i read that in your magazine once, i think? am i right? those are some good rules, though.

i want a Kid Dynamite tattoo but according that logic i'd have to wait another 3 years...

hey if they do reunions, are they still considered "broken up"? which in that case, it'd be 6 years till KD has been broken up for 10.

My rule for band tattoos is this:

1. The band have to be broken up for at least 10 years

2. The band have to have broken up after releasing their best album

So currently, Jawbreaker qualifies. Next year, Refused will qualify, too.

Why exactly would it matter how long they've been broken up? I mean, its good to have some solid reasoning behind getting band tattoos, otherwise you wind up getting stupid shit like an MXPX tattoo in high school (as mentioned before). However, I can't really understand your rules.

Anyways, I think if a person feels a personal, strong, significant connection to a band in some way, then get a tattoo if thats what floats your boat. If a band made a significant impact on a person, then that tattoo would remain relevent to that person throughout their life, even if they no longer enjoy the band. If your only reasoning for a band tattoo is "OMFG THESE GUYS ARE TOTALLY SWEET!" then I think one should pass.

My rule for band tattoos is this:

1. The band have to be broken up for at least 10 years

2. The band have to have broken up after releasing their best album

So currently, Jawbreaker qualifies. Next year, Refused will qualify, too.

Why exactly would it matter how long they've been broken up? I mean, its good to have some solid reasoning behind getting band tattoos, otherwise you wind up getting stupid shit like an MXPX tattoo in high school (as mentioned before). However, I can't really understand your rules.

They're just personal rules, dude. You don't have to understand them.

I don't have any tattoos, anyway.

They're just personal rules, dude. You don't have to understand them.

I don't have any tattoos, anyway.

No, I know I don't have to get them, I was just curious if you had any specific reasoning. Thats all.

It's completely arbitrary on the year thing, but as for the "going out on their best record" thing, I stand by that. Earlier in my life, I was interested in getting Alkaline Trio, Hot Water Music and Weezer tattoos. Then all three bands put out subpar records, which convinced me not to do it.