G20

So you're going to be hearing a ton about Pittsburgh over the next few days and on into the weekend. It'll probably be mostly bad stuff from some bad seed protesters.

I don't really understand all of this stuff. A list was released of places that they're protesting, it includes grocery stores, strip clubs, spas, banks, etc... I don't even know why you'd protest a grocery store?!?! OMFG WHOLE FOODS CHARGES TOO MUCH MONEY!!! I WANT MORE FUEL PERKXXXX

Downtown Pittsburgh is basically a police state right now. Barriers, barb wire, cops, etc are everywhere. I live in the city, but it shouldn't really effect me too much as I work in the suburbs. Although there are going to be protests in my neighborhood tomorrow.

they're protesting places people frequent. hundreds of people, if not thousands in a city like Pittsburgh, visit grocery stores and banks on a daily basis. most of those places they don't have a permit to assemble so they will get shut down almost immediately for trespassing, regardless if it's peaceful or not.

the headquarters for the G-20 Resistance Project has a long list of phone numbers for ACLU lawyers anticipating arrests.

Just to add some insight that no one really asked for, grocery stores can be problematic in that they support global food chains that are pretty unethical. They utilize extraordinarily exploitative labour from global south countries, destroy the environment in transporting food to the north, cover foods in pesticides and all sorts of other chemicals to preserve them in their transportation, hurt local farmers who can't compete with such insanely low prices (nor selection), etc. Our whole food system is extremely broken and unsustainable.

And in the most basic and cliche sense, grocery stores are simply monuments to waste and overconsumption.

they're protesting places people frequent. hundreds of people, if not thousands in a city like Pittsburgh, visit grocery stores and banks on a daily basis. most of those places they don't have a permit to assemble so they will get shut down almost immediately for trespassing, regardless if it's peaceful or not.

the headquarters for the G-20 Resistance Project has a long list of phone numbers for ACLU lawyers anticipating arrests.

I see, I never thought of it like that.

Just to add some insight that no one really asked for, grocery stores can be problematic in that they support global food chains that are pretty unethical. They utilize extraordinarily exploitative labour from global south countries, destroy the environment in transporting food to the north, cover foods in pesticides and all sorts of other chemicals to preserve them in their transportation, hurt local farmers who can't compete with such insanely low prices (nor selection), etc. Our whole food system is extremely broken and unsustainable.

And in the most basic and cliche sense, grocery stores are simply monuments to waste and overconsumption.

actually, if you want to be technical, grocery stores don't set the market prices for crops, nor do they "utilize extraordinarily exploitative labour from global south countries?", that would the the corporations who grow, harvest and then sell the crops to wholesalers, who are not the grocery stores, and same with pesticides and chemicals... thats either the "manufacturer" of the crop or the wholesaler of the crop, not the end destination of the crop (the grocery store).

I agree the system is broken, but its not the grocery stores fault, its the corporations who plant, grow and harvest the crops fault. protesting a grocery store is not going to change the workforce that Minute Maid hires to process the oranges sold in the store.

Protesters rappelled and hung a poster from a bridge today:

[image]

I hope the purchased carbon credits to offset the costs of making and shipping that banner. Not to mention the impact of bringing in all these protesters. There's probably a hole in the O-zone directly above Pittsburgh now.

bitch bitch bitch

Protesters rappelled and hung a poster from a bridge today:

[image]

I hope the purchased carbon credits to offset the costs of making and shipping that banner. Not to mention the impact of bringing in all these protesters. There's probably a hole in the O-zone directly above Pittsburgh now.

I don't think the O-Zone has existed in Pittsburgh since the 1920s.

actually, if you want to be technical, grocery stores don't set the market prices for crops, nor do they "utilize extraordinarily exploitative labour from global south countries?", that would the the corporations who grow, harvest and then sell the crops to wholesalers, who are not the grocery stores, and same with pesticides and chemicals... thats either the "manufacturer" of the crop or the wholesaler of the crop, not the end destination of the crop (the grocery store).

I agree the system is broken, but its not the grocery stores fault, its the corporations who plant, grow and harvest the crops fault. protesting a grocery store is not going to change the workforce that Minute Maid hires to process the oranges sold in the store.

While what you say is correct, I disagree with your removing of grocery stores from the equation as though they're not at all complicit. It's somewhat akin to saying that Wal-Mart has little-to-no responsibility for the reprehensible conditions under which most of their items are made because they're not the ones who are actually making the products. But the problems stem from the business models that these types of places have created.

The truth is that grocery stores (both the massive ones and the smaller ones) are, at least in part, an enabler of this broken food system. The notion of stores that sell mass quantities of food for low prices is an extraordinarily important link in the modern Western food chain. We're completely accustomed to extremely low prices, having most fruits and vegetables available regardless of season, processed food, massive choice and quantity, etc. And because of this grocery store model, we've become entirely reliant on the companies who can best capitalize on this lifestyle through the most cut throat of practices.

I'm not taking some holier-than-thou attitude here - I shop at grocery stores most of the time, and I agree that protesting grocery stores isn't the most effective form of action. But at the same time, it's not like grocery stores are completely removed from the whole G20/globalization debate.

So what is this G20 stuff anyway?...Give me the short dumbed-down version. Por favor.

yeah, my mom asked me what it was this morning cuz i usually know all about that stuff and i was like ...bbuuhhhhhhhh like a dum-dum.

i work for the state and we got an email saying all the state offices were closed in pittsburgh, but reminding us all to come to work. yeah, because harrisburg buildings being closed because of something happening in pittsburgh makes a lot of sense.

Things are oddly quiet.

Not in Lawrenceville!

I just went home on my lunchbreak and there's a ton of action going on in Arsenal Park right now. There were a bunch of cops in riot gear at the Rite Aid on Butler St. getting ready.

Check out my friend Jeffy's tweets, he's posting pics of everything he sees today:

http://twitter.com/jrails1983

Ugh. It's on now!

Tear gas grenades. Bomb threats. I think someone was killed. Some morons are rolling a dumpster down a hill towards police.

I don't mind protesters in the least bit, but there's always some morons out there. I'm sure a few cops have overreacted as well.

I'm not going home after work. I'll wait this thing out and eat some tacos and enjoy a margarita.